Head Gasget

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Not overly expensive. Use a good quality gasket (preferably on OE one). You'd also be better getting the head checked for flatness and skimmed if needed, and pressure tested.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
To skim and test the head would be £60. Head gasket set, anything from £30 to £80. Then theres labour after that. I'm not a mechanic, but I'd say budget for £150-200

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Thats about right perhaps a bit less. Ive done a couple of these, they're not too bad at all. If your lookin it fixed PM me and ill see what I can do. How u know the headgaskets gone???

icemanclio

RMS Regular
OP
icemanclio
Drives
Impreza
well its losing a lot of water from the header tank and well thats about it, i would be looking it done

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Could just be a leak. You sure it isnt leaking??? Check your oil on the dip-stick - what colour is it? If its creamy coloured then its most likely a head gasket, or have you noticed the exhaust fumes very steamy.

icemanclio

RMS Regular
OP
icemanclio
Drives
Impreza
ni i haven't noticed any of that, its just i went to ats today to get my wheel alligment gone and when he put it on the ramp, we noicted a lot of water on the work floor, we looked and it was dripping from the car

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Well thats gonna be a leak then mate most likely. If you want me to take a look at it for ya pm me.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Could be anything, burst hose, cracked header, cracked rad. What it sounds like is a leak. Where its coming from cant be diagnosed with the information that has been given.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
true true........but sure lets just say I am right just for the hell of it :party:

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
If it's a diesel Clio, then it'll be the radiator core rotten along the bottom.

Mine rotted through at 2.5 years old. OK, it had over 110k on it, but still.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
One way to rule out the head gasket is to check the oil as RMS_CLK said. If its mayo coloured then the water is mixing with the oil and the head gasket is gone. Simple test just take out the dip stick and look at it or open the oil filler cap and look in there and around the inside of the cap.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
paddymcc said:
One way to rule out the head gasket is to check the oil as RMS_CLK said. If its mayo coloured then the water is mixing with the oil and the head gasket is gone. Simple test just take out the dip stick and look at it or open the oil filler cap and look in there and around the inside of the cap.

Head gasket could still be gone, even if the oil and water look fine. Depending on where its gone it could mix the oil and water like you say, or it could pressurise the cooling system, or it could leak water internally and misfire/alot of white smoke

Jonny

RMS Regular
maybe you should take the car back to where you got it and ask for a refund you dont seem to have much of a clue about it, best leave it alone i'd say (y)

big cyril

RMS Regular
I had a Freelander which had a failed head gasket once (surprise , surprise^o) ) and it presented with coolant loss and steam in the exhaust but the oil was still normal.
It cost 300 quid a few years back as the head needed skimmed.

icemanclio

RMS Regular
OP
icemanclio
Drives
Impreza
metro1800 said:
Head gasket could still be gone, even if the oil and water look fine. Depending on where its gone it could mix the oil and water like you say, or it could pressurise the cooling system, or it could leak water internally and misfire/alot of white smoke

what does pressurise the cooling system mean

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
icemanclio said:
what does pressurise the cooling system mean

It means alot of pressure builds up in the header tank, and when you release the cap (even when not fully heated) the coolant flies out

icemanclio

RMS Regular
OP
icemanclio
Drives
Impreza
yeah thats what happens went to a garage they quoted me between 300-400 to get it fixed i am on a budget and can't afford this amount, i need to get it fixed and don't know how to pm on this site lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.