Help with 2 stroke scram...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Looking a bit of advice on a 2 stroke I have lying here.

Just a wee kx80

Was running fine the other day then cut out/maybe ran out of petrol,filled it up and it won't run.

A few times it has started then bogged a few seconds later and died.

Plug is clear and wet when removed,when you clean it up and try again it will sometimes fire again for a few seconds and bog out again.

Took the carb apart and cleaned it out and it fired again for a bit longer but again it bogged itself down and cut out.

Plug is sparking,fuel is running.

Anyone any other ideas of what I could try with it?

Petrol isn't mixed too rich,if anything slightly lean so it isn't oiling up the plug.

Any advice would be great on what else to try

Going to throw a new plug in it tomorrow and see but it is sparking fine by the look of things when taken out.

Thanks.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Is it gettin air ok, Or too much air, split in the intake rubber etc? Clogged fuel filter. Did you give the jets a good blow out?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Wet plug would mean too much fuel. Are you sure the float bowl isn't playing up? Had that on a KX 250.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
Yes jets etc were all blew out,did lift a nice wee chunk of dirt out from the bottom of the bowl and as I said,it fired for longer after doing that but still bogged down after.

It's the fact that it ran for days then suddenly I can't get the ******* to run for more than a few seconds lol.

Now that I think of it this may be a help for anyone with better 2 stroke knowledge than myself,when it was well warmed up it would begin to bog a wee bit on high revs of each gear,then when you changed gear and the revs dropped it would run ok until you were flat out again,that would maybe go along with your intake rubber split theory @mx5 turbo??

How can I check the float isn't playing up? It was all out and cleaned incase dirt had clogged a jet but nothing unusual was noticed appearance wise anyway...

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Check floats for punctures, they can fill with fuel and cause overfuelling, check float height with a ruler, though you would need a workshop manual to tell you the correct setting. If its getting too much air from a split etc, if i remeber correctly you can put the choke on when its playing about and if it corrects it a bit then it would mean you were running lean. High revs to me sounds like its running lean, though the wet plug could say otherwise or that its not firing right. Any exhaust problems, coked up etc? Ps im not a mechanic or 2t pro, just some things ive had with two strokes in the past. My biggest misfire problem was a worn woodruff key which was causing the magneto to slip at high revs which then messed the timing. Took us a good while to firgure that out.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
Fired first kick there this morning after sitting since Saturday,ran for id say 10-20 seconds and bogged and cut out again! Going to check everything suggested above and going to wack a plug in it and see if maybe the other ones spark is too weak

Marc

RMS Moderator
have you compression checked it? whipped the head of to see if the piston and barrels look ok?

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
it sounds like its using a bowl at a time. check the tap at the tank. and as said check the reeds are snapping closed otherwise it will flood the engine. dont trust even new plugs, get another one, iv seen new plugs **** themselves but still spark. when you say jets did you check and blow out with an airline the pilot jet aswell as main.. ? and check the flywheel it stil tight.. one last one. the choke plunger in those where it fits into the carb body wears. it should be brass type plunger in behind the rubber seal and it causes some of the issues your having.... if all that checks out assuming the rings or main seals arnt hanging outa it that only leaves the coil or genny breaking down

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.