Honda CB450 Twin project

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Well this hasn't been updated in a while, and really thats been because progress has been slow. I've been stock piling parts over the last few months.

Was able to source should new fork tubes in Italy. I was hoping that I would be able to repair the existing ones but after attacking them with 80 grit, it was pretty clear the pitting was too deep and would let down the final look of the bike.

Next big purchase was a Motogadget M-Unit. Since I'm already rewiring the bike it made sense to go for something more modern like this that will simplify the wiring and remove the need for any fuses other than the main fuse from the battery to the unit.

unnamed.jpg

Also picked up a new brake master and I couple of other bits of bracketry etc.

The frame itself has been over at Landspeed Auto House for a little while now. Since I can't weld Noel has been helping out getting the frame hoop finalised and putting together the tailpiece. This is V1 of the tailpeice, not exactly how we want it to be but a good starting point.

unnamed (2).jpg

One of the previous owners was a bit of a butcher when cutting the rear mudguard mount off so Noel was able to sort that for me too.

unnamed (1).jpg

Looking to get cracking on this again properly soon. The engine is ready to go back in once I get the frame back and powdercoated. I've picked a colour for the tank/tailpiece which has now been blasted and sealed inside too.

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Great work Clark! Looking forward to attacking one myself once Caddy is out of the way.

ShortShift tool roll looking smart!

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@Bono872 - thanks bud. Have you a bike bought or anything in mind?

ShiftShift tool roll is great, have been throwing it in my bag when out on the pit bike cos theyre so unrealiable - pulled me out of a hole a couple of times now.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice work so far, will end up great.

These CB450s and the CN550s look awesome when done right.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I had a read up that Motogadget M-Unit because I never heard of them. Wow, some of those features sound great for a bike build and it's so compact. Great idea.
I like how you're doing your own tin work too.
Good luck, it's going to be a cool bike.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
I had a read up that Motogadget M-Unit because I never heard of them. Wow, some of those features sound great for a bike build and it's so compact. Great idea.
I like how you're doing your own tin work too.
Good luck, it's going to be a cool bike.

Great unit, that's my next buy for mine after few other tweeks. Definitely tidys all the wiring up tenfold.

Peter

RMS Regular
Saw the M-Unit mentioned on a Youtube channel and he mentioned that it can have keyless start via bluetooth to your phone which would be a really nice touch

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
When I got the bike the wiring was in a poor state. It had been messed with before and was 50 years ago so it was hard and brittle so a rewire with an M-Unit seemed like the logical option as it reduces the number of wires required, removes the need for fuses and adds stuff like an alarm to the bike.

I didn't go for the bluetooth version as when I initially researched it, it was only available for Android, but now that it's available for iOS as well I may end up getting it retrofitted.

The keyless start you mentioned @Peter can work a couple of ways. There is the bluetooth option, but you can also fit RFID fobs, so for example so could put one under the seat leather and then have the other sewn into your gloves or jeans. I've no plans to do this as of yet, but its good to know I have the option if I decide to do it down the line.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
When I got the bike the wiring was in a poor state. It had been messed with before and was 50 years ago so it was hard and brittle so a rewire with an M-Unit seemed like the logical option as it reduces the number of wires required, removes the need for fuses and adds stuff like an alarm to the bike.

I didn't go for the bluetooth version as when I initially researched it, it was only available for Android, but now that it's available for iOS as well I may end up getting it retrofitted.

The keyless start you mentioned @Peter can work a couple of ways. There is the bluetooth option, but you can also fit RFID fobs, so for example so could put one under the seat leather and then have the other sewn into your gloves or jeans. I've no plans to do this as of yet, but its good to know I have the option if I decide to do it down the line.

It's my biggest regret not doing mine at the start tbh. I bought a new loom but the wiring does my nut in. Looking well mate