How do you afford your car?

DWDarkWheels

RMS Regular
Short version : I'm a skinflint but love my cars :grinning:

Long version : I've worked hard but am no captain of industry. I can work on my own cars, and do DIY and home projects so I'm not out much money to tradesmen. I've splurged money on cars in the past but *mostly* avoided big depreciation. Luckily the cars that interest me now are older stuff that's around the bottom of their depreciation curve.

Sorry if that sounds smug :grinning:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
At what point is it "okay" to finance something?

Mid 20's , worked in my industry for 7 years well paid job etc etc?

At any time you can afford it, you are a long time dead. I wish I had wised up to that long ago, I would have had much nicer cars sooner 😂

I think it’s even more acceptable given we actually love cars.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
At any time you can afford it, you are a long time dead. I wish I had wised up to that long ago, I would have had much nicer cars sooner 😂

This - long time in the grave.

Why wait the banks have plenty of money to let u do what y want.

I always buy my daily outright and it won’t be a dear car. But no harm in using someone else’s money for a toy

PieMan1

RMS Regular
I was thinking of financing the only car I drive?

and what determines being able to afford it? if you have multiple payments of savings etc?

Its just my luck id get a loan for something and be made redundant the next day lmfao.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I guess everyone’s different. I like to have a bit of a nest egg sitting that if it all went to **** tomorrow I could cover myself (including actual living expenses) for a good few months. Once I have that sitting it’s a case of I can afford x amount a month to a price that is worth it to me and still let’s me keep the lifestyle I like.

If you live one month to the next with little to spare then it’s not always the best idea. Everyone is different, I have plenty of friends that earn really good money but spend every penny of it and enjoy themselves so each to their own

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

and what determines being able to afford it? if you have multiple payments of savings etc?

Its just my luck id get a loan for something and be made redundant the next day lmfao.

Surely you just look at what your salary is, deduct your current outgoings, see what you have left over and work out how much of that you want to spend on a car? It would be prudent to still be able to save some too.

Assets can be sold and finance cleared if you lose your job etc. usually I wouldn’t let things like that be the deciding factor, you have to enjoy yourself too. However recently I have found myself thinking I should maybe reign the price of my next car in a bit, just in case. Things are going to get messy at some stage!

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes

Anytime ive financed something in the past its never been the full amount, usually a personal loan so more flexability if i need to sell the car on and clear the loan then thats an option.
You just want to give yourself an option to exit should something unexpected come up and the repayments start to become an issue

Have a look at the car value and projected residuals, and arrive at a finance figure that leaves you with some equity in it that you could potentially retrieve in the worst case scenario

Bryan

RMS Regular
Wait.... people only have one car?!

1653913297256.png