how reliable would a vtec turbo be?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
hey, i have the opportunity to buy a b16a vtec with a turbo

don't know much about it except:
1994 4-door civic shape
b16a with a turbo
motec engine management (apparantly £2000)
new pistons

sorry but thats all that i know

meant to be evo pace in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears

wot i basically want to know is would these be reliable and wot would they b like to run?

also know of an integra type r with a jackson supercharger. will b out next week

big cyril

RMS Regular
I reckon no one actually know the answer to that question as there are too few vtecs with a turbo added to say plus there are probably several different turbo conversions.
The standard vtec is supposed to be reliable however.

Adam

RMS Regular
Theres a couple here in Birmingham and Ive been told that they are as reliable as anything else. Obviously they will need regular maintenance etc but they arent as bad as you'd think.
Ive seen one of them go too and its a rocket.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
That question is impossible to answer. Depends on the age and condition of the engine, how often its serviced, how its tuned and set up, what methods have been used to drop compression etc. I would have thought that it should be reliable enough running up to a bar, with the compression dropped by LCP's. If its using Motec M4 management, thats basically the best you can get. You could almost run the turbo without a compression drop. Its a good indication that everything else has been done properly aswell.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Reliability would depend on how good the quality of the conversion was to start with. Dont expect a back-street botch-up turbo conversion to be reliable (im not saying thats whats been done on this car btw)

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Actually, Simon from Cartoyz's sri nova was a botch up job and it proved more reliable than some manufacturers turbo engines.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
half a bar on standard compression seems to be what most go for. After that a compression drop is definitely needed. The integra typeR doesn't like much boost due to the 11.5 - 1 ration so most chose the GSR 'unmodded' 1.8L engine.

vtec turbos are commonplace. check the UK honda boards. ive even a few vids on my pc of some boosted vtecs

Christopher

RMS Regular
OP
Christopher
Drives
Skyline GTR
thanks for the views guys

looking into getting another car and jus not sure wot to buy yet

as for the m3, dale, have to wait till end of august until i'm 21 and can get insurance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.