Ibiza Cupras

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Anyone on here had much experience with them? Its the Mk3 1.8 20V Turbo Im interested in..

Quite fancy one some time this year but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse **** in NI. Plenty to choose from over here in Scotland though!

I know they are quick, and easy to get big power out of...but are they reliable and how well do they handle?

The only vids Ive been able to download have been of two going broad sideways round a couple of corners - makes me think they may be prone to lift off oversteer?!

I was considering the Cupra R but since there were only 75 brought in, the prices are a lot higher and the only real benefit in my eyes is the Brembo brakes, which could be added to a normal one ;)

veedubboy

RMS Regular
Cupra R benefits include 30 bhp more than the Cupra (150bhp vs 180bhp as standard), bigger brakes, better suspension, nicer seats, oz rims.
Very tunable the 1.8 T engine.... 225bhp acheivable with little money down filter, zorst and chip route ....good handling motors .....mate has 1 of 2 cupra R's in NI

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
I've come up with this list of differences between the Cupra and the R. I don't think its really worth the extra 2-3k they command over the normal cupra's, and I hate the super t's!

75 UK Versions
Power increased to 180 Bhp
Brembo 305mm front brakes with 4-Pot Calipers
16" OZ Super T's
6mm Wider rear track
Lowered 7mm
10% Stiffer suspension setup
'R' Badges on bodywork
Blue indicator lenses
Colour coded rub strips
Carbon Effect "Seat Sport" engine cover with red "20vt" Insert
Extra gauges in centre console (Oil pressure/voltage)
Red seat belts
"Seat Sport" logo woven into seat
Red stitching around seats, steering wheel and leather gaitors
'R' Sill plates
Comes in Ovni Yellow, Ebony Black, and Flash Red

How does your mate find the car for day to day driving? It would be my road car as well as doing the odd track day etc. Been looking into tuning options and a remap seems to take the Cupra and the R to exactly the same power, as they are essentially the same engine anyway, one takes them to 193 bhp and the other to 206bhp.

That along with a decent exhaust, filter and maybe decat shouldn't see her far off the 225 mark 8)

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
What was the model of the older Ibiza's with the 2.0 16v. They came with white alloys. Were they a Cupra?

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
I think the older model ibizas came with a 2.0 8v and a 2.0 16v, they used a GTi badge and a Cupra badge too, though Im not too sure which was which...best man to ask is jamie (j16jrf) as he has one :grinning:

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
i'd take one! :grinning:. I reckon you could get silly power out of it for not alot of money, and they are pretty well bolted together! :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
i drove one of the turbo ones - very nice but a little go kartish for my tastes. good fun tho.

was ordinary cupra btw.

drove the equivilent golf afterwards too - didnt like it at all.

jferg

RMS Regular
yeah, the turbo cupra was only in the mk3 cupra which has the 1.8 20 valve turbo engine.

Before that you had a choice of the 2.0 8 valve or 16valves. None of these were available turbo'd, the white wheels or polished wheels came on the 16 valve, with the 8 valve having 5 spoke 15" wheels.

ibitza

RMS Regular
Drives
seat ibiza
im looking for a 2.0 16v engine
, the 1.8 turbo is a great wee engine quite nippy :p

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
2.0 8v is mediocre, even the Focus was fit to shift one at Crail. 2.0 16v should be nice!

Hopefully there will be a 1.8 20vT coming my way some time this year :lol:

Gambit

RMS Regular
j16jrf said:
yeah, the turbo cupra was only in the mk3 cupra which has the 1.8 20 valve turbo engine.

Before that you had a choice of the 2.0 8 valve or 16valves. None of these were available turbo'd, the white wheels or polished wheels came on the 16 valve, with the 8 valve having 5 spoke 15" wheels.

you sure? cause i was close to buying one from the Isle of Man about 6mths ago

it was the 16v spec in a met blue/purp colour but with the 1.8T in it

Gambit

RMS Regular
nah it was a factory car only had 27k mile on it or something, cause i originally thought it was a mk3 but when he sent me the pics it was a mk2

im trying to find the original ad

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Seat never did a factory fitted 20VT in the mk2 Ibiza!!

Gambit

RMS Regular
Seat Ibiza F2 Cupra or something - it was a special edition with only a handful made

and i dont mean the rally car itself

somebody go onto the Seat Forum and find out!

brendy

RMS Regular
seat f2 cupra was 200 bhp, only one maybe two were ever made because of costs, it was a demo to show what could be done with the car, wide arches etc. engine was a tuned abf 2.0 16v with cams,intake and gearbox mods, the bot had subs and an amp fitted also.
from memory go onto the maxpower gallery and look up the seat ibiza pics, the car is copper with wide arches, no other "official" cars were made.

brendy

RMS Regular
mk3 lad the entire car was a project the engine is still in that car in wales somewhere, the fella is a member on seatcupra.net i think.
getting an abf to 200bhp without carbs is a huuuge job, a flowed head and remap gets 175-180 ok but the final 20 is tough work and expensive.
there is no such thing as a 200bhp standard abf engine, they were ALL detailed officially as 150, unofficially they are all between 155-160, ive a few rabbit and performance vw mags in the house and 155-160 seems normal.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.