Ignition Red GR86

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
After 7 years and 84,000 miles of ownership it was about time for a change of the GT86.

1000006005.jpg
1000005995.jpg
1000006006.jpg
1000006150.jpg

Just past 100k when I sold it, and never give a days bother during it. Outside of the normal serviceable items it only needed 2 rear bearings which they all seem to need around 80 to 90k. Other than that sold it with a spare caliper carrier as suspected it might have some wear. Oh and needed a rear number plate build once 😊

It was never fast in a straight line as well commented on in d'internet but with good rubber down a windy road it was always fun and with minimal running costs it was the reason it was held onto for so long.

The GR itch was strong though. The plan to get one first thwarted by going to spec one to find out they had already sold out in first allocation. Second allocation at unspecified time was announced and name was put on the wait list.

Email landed last summer to say I was successful on list and deposit was paid. It came at time though when just about to pull pin on long promised bathrooms refit and car would bump that again. A conversation followed mentioning murder or divorce and unsure which order they would happen I rescinded with apparently the math man's proving unconvincing.

Waiting ensued and as no longer available to buy the dealer cars started popping up.
Spotted one in Newcastle at a Toyota dealership with only 800 mile on it and a ducktail. Deal was done and brought home last week.

PXL_20240302_144836931~2.jpg
PXL_20240302_144808003~2.jpg
PXL_20240302_145046162~3.jpg
PXL_20240302_145240864~2.jpg

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
That looks so good in red. We have had a few in and I am really impressed with them, feel a lot more grown up than the GT yet still very fun

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
That looks so good in red. We have had a few in and I am really impressed with them, feel a lot more grown up than the GT yet still very fun

Definitely a familiar feeling to it with the GT but everything tighter and smoother and as you say more grown up. Suspension noticeably firmer but smoother. And the low down torque completely changes how you drive it. The stability/traction control nanny has been let of the leash too 😊

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Lovely in red and love the duck tail on them as well.

I'd one out a spin and loved the way it handled!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
It really needs the spoiler! Health to drive.

I chatted with a chap recently who made the same move, and he was very unimpressed for a few weeks of normal driving. Then she got very lively one day on him, and it all made sense as to the various differences. It wasn't long until he gelled with it.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
As others have said; fantastic looking in red with the ducktail

Still must be a very rare car as I have maybe only seen one or two on the roads

Health to enjoy!

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Cheers all, no plans for it yet, just to daily it.

The ducktail for some reason unlike the US was never an option here otherwise I think most would have been ordered with it.

c_rad

RMS Regular
Having owned and daily drove a GT86 can totally understand the reasoning behind them. Absolutely fantastic things if not ballistic in a straight line but that really isn't their point at all. I took all the B roads home and had the best time.

IMG_20190519_140303.jpg

I'd love a drive in a GR86 they've just honed the whole package all round. Absolutely perfect in red too 😍 but I'm biased on that point also 🤣

Health to enjoy 😎

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
That instrument cluster is superb. Proper old school Toyota.
That's just the one in track setting, the normal one looks the usual round type, does loosen the back end up somewhat though. Michelin sponsorship wasn't included though so it will be mostly off. (Probably lol)

As an aside but defo not to detract in any way amusingly the rear lights remind me of insignia rear lights

insignia light similarities been mentioned quite a few times in the forums, some great looking dragon tail after market ones about. After seeing price of them these ones will be staying 🤣

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
That looks brilliant. Been reading reviews of these recently and they're getting a lot of praise. The first few images I saw, they didn't appear too different to the GT86 but you can really see the differences above in the white and red cars next to each other on a screen. Health to drive

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Beautiful in red. Always loved the GT86 and think the GR86s look even better. Don't think I've seen one in the flesh yet. Are they still fairly rare over here?

Please don't thump me but I initially seen an Insignia rear corner here and now can't unsee it

1709566776797.png

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
I cannot believe these are out 10 years+.

12 years now, my white one was a 2013 which aside from the dated interior which was basic even when released, it never really felt it's age

Beautiful in red. Always loved the GT86 and think the GR86s look even better. Don't think I've seen one in the flesh yet. Are they still fairly rare over here?

Think there were 400 in first UK allocation, not sure I ever saw a figure for second allocation but I'd imagine around the same.

Was never a fan of most red cars and unsure about going for red in the GR until I got seeing it in person at the Subaru dealership in newtownards who had one in. Not sure how to describe it but it's very red in person on a bright day, with a bit of orange tone in sunlight. Different to the old GT red.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
First tampering with.
Will make zero noticeable difference on the road but it's carbon fibre and I had it 😊

As it's majority same underlying chassis as GT the majority of tuning stuff fits both.

PXL_20240308_161310965~2.jpg
PXL_20240308_161243165~3.jpg

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Beaut GR. Spoiler looks class!

Why oh why did they not come with the nicer calipers as per the GR yaris and Corollla?