Ignition Red GR86

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Why oh why did they not come with the nicer calipers as per the GR yaris and Corollla?

Agreed, the calipers although very effective just look family commuter spec. Brembos where an option in the US market and a special edition GT had them.

Like technically they are available here, think at the comedy price tag I might leave them though šŸ¤£

Shea

RMS Regular
Drives
T2,911,GR86
Looks great in red, I have one in Ice Silver, was lucky enough to get an allocation and took delivery last october. 5K miles on it now and I love it, Clutch kinda does my head in now and again, feels like there's 20cm of clutch pedal travel but the bite point/engagement point feels like 5mm, like a switch almost. I also find certain roads causes a resonance noise, supposedly it's to do with the turret strut brace going to the firewall and acting like a tuning fork.

Apart from them small niggles it's amazing and really fun to drive, plus it's just hassle free motoring, 10 year warranty and I got a 10 year servicing plan for Ā£32 a month.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Looks great in red, I have one in Ice Silver, was lucky enough to get an allocation and took delivery last october. 5K miles on it now and I love it, Clutch kinda does my head in now and again, feels like there's 20cm of clutch pedal travel but the bite point/engagement point feels like 5mm, like a switch almost. I also find certain roads causes a resonance noise, supposedly it's to do with the turret strut brace going to the firewall and acting like a tuning fork.

Apart from them small niggles it's amazing and really fun to drive, plus it's just hassle free motoring, 10 year warranty and I got a 10 year servicing plan for Ā£32 a month.

Was torn between getting either a red or ice silver after seeing both in the Subaru dealership in Newtownards. Was never a fan of most silver cars but the ice silver looks great in these as it shows of the curves really well.

I get the same resonance on parts of the M2 and whilst clutch is brilliant when pushing on it but can make you feel likes it's your first day in a manual when tiddling about. Glad it's not just me šŸ¤£ But both very minor in the scheme of things. Finding my elbow whilst hand resting on gear stick also perfect dimensions for accidentally opening the centre console.

Shea

RMS Regular
Drives
T2,911,GR86
Was torn between getting either a red or ice silver after seeing both in the Subaru dealership in Newtownards. Was never a fan of most silver cars but the ice silver looks great in these as it shows of the curves really well.

I get the same resonance on parts of the M2 and whilst clutch is brilliant when pushing on it but can make you feel likes it's your first day in a manual when tiddling about. Glad it's not just me šŸ¤£ But both very minor in the scheme of things. Finding my elbow whilst hand resting on gear stick also perfect dimensions for accidentally opening the centre console.
That's right forgot about the arm rest, my bony elbow fits right in that spot for the arm rest too, I just leave it open now. I might fit a weaker clutch pedal spring, gets good reports for adding a bit more feel. Will let you know if it is worth doing.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Ah well that is a whole bunch of awesome right there. The colour & the ducktail are epic!! Love it!!

The GT was also a lovely car, always wanted one from they came out. The one time I was about to pull the trigger on one, it sold to @Gaz86 lol

How does this compare to the GT on the twisties?

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
How does this compare to the GT on the twisties?

I had the GT on PS4s so it always felt good on the twisty stuff. It felt a bit more raw and mechanical, slightly better steering feel than the GR. You never had to push on for it to feel good the way it rotated without even trying to break traction. Yes it was lacking in mid range if you were only half pushing on but came alive if you were happy keeping it between 5-7.5k. It made you constantly work through the gears which was rewarding most of the time but also wasn't exactly relaxing compared to cruising in the family barge.

With GR, bar the engine, first thing noticeable is that the chassis feels a lot tighter. The suspension is also firmer but smoother and more refined, it deals with surfaces very well without ever feeling harsh. They are the same basic car and components underneath but the tweaks have made it feel much more capable and planted round the bends.
Biggest difference is the power. Peak torque now at 3k and a flat curve right through to 7k. Makes the car way more relaxing to drive when cruising about, can just leave it in gear and it pulls from everywhere without always having to change down. Also a lot more go when you want it too.
Haven't had it too playful yet but seems to let the back more free in normal mode as the prefacelift GT did in sport mode. Track mode seems to let you play a lot, more than I've had the balls to do in a new car on public roads šŸ™‚

Same basics as GT just all over more refined and polished in everything it does plus the bonus of more torque.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Nothing else done, just enjoyed a virtual empty coast road run home yesterday after dropping wee fella off for Duke of Edinburgh in Portrush.

PXL_20240413_112334799.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20240413_111954602~2.jpg