Insurance cancelled due to painted wheels - Pistonheads Thread

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sonny

RMS Photographer
Insurance cancelled due to painted wheels ! - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

My lads girlfriend has just bought her first car with our help and then insured it. The car is a 2007 Fiesta and is totally standard apart from what was a pair of standard wheels that had been badly painted black. I fully intended to refurbish the wheels back to silver for her but due to the snow hadn't had a chance yet.

Today the chap came to fit her black box and within 30 seconds went into a rant about how the car was modified and he would have to notify her insurance. He contracts to various ins co's and doesn't work for the company she is insured with. Wife gets on to the insurance company to explain the wheels are the standard wheels as it left the factory but have been poorly painted at some point, we told them we would get the wheels refurbished back to factory silver within the week...No, you cant do that as its a modification ! Apparently refurbished wheels are a modification and not covered by her policy, even when professionally refurbished back to factory colour/finish.

We then spoke to a manager who said we had 7 days to fit another set of standard wheels and they would be happy with that. An hour later we get an email saying basically we either cancelled the policy ourselves with immediate effect or they would cancel it themselves and we would be on the system for having insurance cancelled. Another phone call ensues and absolutely no movement or interest in letting us sort the issue for her. She is only 17 and answered the questions truthfully to the best of her knowledge when taking out the policy, this just seems stupidly heavy handed for a silly thing like some rattle paint on the wheels.

I cant possibly think how some £10 rattle can is making her that much more of a risk they need to cancel the policy with immediate effect and not even let her rectify the issue !

Naturally they weren't interested in doing anything with all the admin and cancellation fee's either and then the cover for time on risk so she is well and truly shafted.

So, if you have refurbished wheels best you check with your insurer if they class them as a modification, because these clowns do and wont cover a car if they have been.

Just starting to read through this..seems daft!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Something fishy there me thinks lol.

Guy coming to mod Car has issue with mod’d Car?

Bet there is more to it lol

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Maybe I'm missing something, and need to read the thread on pistonheads..... but I'm thinking .....

giphy.gif

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Read the thread earlier today. Completely mental.

Looks like the black box fitters also audit the car for the insurance companies. So if you've so much as a decal on the car where it shouldn't be then they cancel the policy.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
There was also the putting none runflats on a bmw one that can supposedly cause issues. They’ll try anything to sneak out of paying if they can.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Read the thread earlier today. Completely mental.

Looks like the black box fitters also audit the car for the insurance companies. So if you've so much as a decal on the car where it shouldn't be then they cancel the policy.

Black box could be considered a modification and then they'd cancel the policy after their installer fits it too......that's how moronic the insurance system is.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Put this in the other thread about the telematics box. Guy came out to fit the box to the sons car. Soon afterwards we were contacted by the insurance company asking why we hadn’t told them the car had tinted windows (2 of) and alloy wheels. Obviously the guy fitting the box informed the insurance co.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Put this in the other thread about the telematics box. Guy came out to fit the box to the sons car. Soon afterwards we were contacted by the insurance company asking why we hadn’t told them the car had tinted windows (2 of) and alloy wheels. Obviously the guy fitting the box informed the insurance co.
Crafty bastids

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I would expect every insurer to try and wriggle out of any claim by whatever means they can. So I dont see how anyone could ever have trust in them

Exactly. I 100% expect that my insurance company will try to get out of paying if anything ever happened.

I insure my cars as cheap as possible, to the minimum standard legally required, because they won’t pay for **** all when push comes to shove anyway.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
I would expect every insurer to try and wriggle out of any claim by whatever means they can. So I dont see how anyone could ever have trust in them
People always say this but I’ve been involved in a couple of accidents over the years and the insurance companies have always paid out with no questions or hassle.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
In fact one was for a written off RB5 and they gave me quite a bit more than market value.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.