Intresting info

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cormac

RMS Regular
Well 2day i rung up my insurance company to see how much it was gonna cost me to change my insurance ovr from the D-Turbo to the Calibra, Thy reckoned 400 quid extra, But the woman on the phone then tells me that i can drive a car third party on my insurance as long as the cars not mine and that i have the owners premission!! I asked her any car and she said yes,

I then asked her so say i give my calibra to say my granny if i have her premission can i drive it? she said yes, i said even if she doesnt have it insured she said yes, Im thinking theres a catch somewere here!!

On my insurance cert it says THE POLICYHOLDER WHO WITH THE CONCENT OF THE OWNER MAY ALSO DRIVE A PRIVATE MOTOR CAR NOT BELONGING TO HIM OR HIRED TO HIM UNDER A HIRE PURCHASE AGREEMENT!!

So this mean i can drive anyones car as long as its taxed?? I always thought the owner of the car had to be insured aswell??

Me slightly confused now!

Cormac

merlin

RMS Regular
Cormac, your right the other car has to be insured and in a roadworthy condition, ie MOT and Tax.

IMO it isn't worth the hassle driving third party only.

Cormac

RMS Regular
OP
Cormac
But the insurance woman reckons that the other car doesnt need to be insured just MOTed and TAXed and not belong to me!! Can i legaly drive it tho??

Cormac

merlin

RMS Regular
AFAIK The other car needs to be insured, try ringing another insurance company is all I can suggest.

Mark.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
C-S_Cormac said:
But the insurance woman reckons that the other car doesnt need to be insured just MOTed and TAXed and not belong to me!! Can i legaly drive it tho??

Cormac

Ask her for it in writing, so if your ever stopped you have a little backup at least.

Gambit

RMS Regular
the other car DOESNT have to be insured. but DOES need tax & mot

BUT and a big BUT you can NEVER leave the car unattended in a public place.

you must always have to park it in a driveway or private car park. or your liable for prosecution.

i drove a mazda mx6 for about 2mths like this when my golf was getting fixed

its a loophole in the law that my insurance company told me about

Cormac

RMS Regular
OP
Cormac
Class or what :grinning: It deff says on my insurance cert that i can drive another persons car as long as i have there permission and it doesnt mention anything about them having to have it insured!!!!

Cormac

Pac-Man

Banned
Same here, i can drive other cars as long as they aren't mine, but everytime i do, i am crapping myself in case amything happens to the car :?

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
My insurance says the same and i took it to mean that the third party extensions meant the other car had to also be insured?

Maybe the law is assuming that if the car is taxed it must be insured?

Cormac

RMS Regular
OP
Cormac
Im gonna have to get this clarfied! Any Traffic branch in the house??

Cormac

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
my policy says that also but i always understood that the other car had to be insured

vza

in order to get tax does the car not have to be insured anyway?thus making it pointless to even try?

Pac-Man

Banned
Just because you need a insurance at the time of taxing the car, doesn't mean the insurance can't be cancelled. If someone could get this clarified it would be very helpful indeed ;)

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Pac-Man said:
Just because you need a insurance at the time of taxing the car, doesn't mean the insurance can't be cancelled. If someone could get this clarified it would be very helpful indeed ;)

****ing rights it will..........Ah what to buy next week then :lol:

Cormac

RMS Regular
OP
Cormac
There are ways and means of getting a car taxed!!!

Was chatting a m8 who works for a local insurance brokers, he reckons to read the tearms and conditions of my insurance, If it doesnt say that the other car im gonna be driving has to be insured by the owner then im covered! Ive been reading at it and cant find it anywere,

All i really want is to be ok if im stopped by the police and produce my d-turbo insurance!!

Looks like a nice little loophole :grinning:

Cormac

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
yes but theres also a loophole stating that if they find you are the primary driver of the vehichle (calibra) and fail to insure it directly or something something something...blah blah.

Pac-Man

Banned
Yeah what pete is saying is right, but at the end of the day its one of those insurance stipulations that is hard to govern. Bit like how many miles you do per year, when do companies ever check or record mileage?

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Last year i was driving a car for the best part of the year with it insured under someone else's name and i was using my fully comp 306 insurance to drive it.

I was caught by police CCTV messing about in it and they asked me to produce my insurance, as they didnt believe i had insurance to drive such a "high performance car" in their eyes. I took my insurance cert to the barraacks, and it only stipulated fully comp on it and the officer checking it said its ok, and just asked who the car was registered to and did i have permission to drive it.

Havnt heard another word about it.

Pac-Man

Banned
Yeah similarly when i got stopped in my driveway after ragging the 205 down my street, the first question they asked was who owned the vehicle and after telling them it was mine and eventually showing them my insurance documents, they told me i wasn't covered (which i knew anyway, lol)

Pac-Man

Banned
yeah but you know what i mean, if i had of said my dad owned the 205, i probably would have got away with it. they are hardly going to start investigating into my dad's insurance, are they? :grinning:

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
I thought it was common knowledge.....able to drive another car third party as long as you are fully comp on your own insurance is ok. To clarify i have checked with a couple of companies...elephant being one of them.

Cormac

RMS Regular
OP
Cormac
Yes but for one thing my insurance is only TPF&T, But it says on my cert that i can drive other cars as long as i have the owners permission and the insurance woman reckons the other persons car doesnt have to be insured for me to do so cause my insurance will cover it!!

Strange oul situation!

Cormac

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.