Is the used car "bubble" about to pop?

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Demand-supply driven price increases might resolve themselves, but IMO lot of it is simply inflation. Something that cost £20k in 2018 is £26k in today's money in real terms. That is never going to go back down

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I think we are back to pre covid plus inflation pricing now. Things will stay pretty static, electric sales will gain for another 5 years then i expect a total government u turn to synthetic fuels. Collectable stuff will just keep rocketing out the roof unless there is a full blown depression

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Thats to cover the extra two cylinders
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

gary87

RMS Regular
Financing is part and parcel of the whole package. Whether they knock a few quid off the price or offer 0% finance it’s the same thing in the end for most people. The difference is if it’s being offered or not. Deals were virtually non existent for a long time there.

Now I’m seeing a few trickle through. Not sure how long these one’s have been going, but I have noticed an increase of promo activity on the emails and phone recently so im guessing more new cars are becoming available.

View attachment 406248

View attachment 406250

Mental putting a 30% deposit into PCP - I always encouraged people to put it in as little deposit as possible and find a monthly they're comfortable with, or if they're insisting on putting in a big depo, then to reduce their final payment down a bit. Massive amount of money to potentially hand over more the next time round again.

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
I think the big driver of used car prices is the price of new ones - five years ago the average new car was £27k and today it's £39k, no doubt driven by loss making electric vehicles and manufacturers bumping up the margins on IC to help pay for the switchover. I can't see used cars, especially IC ones dropping anytime soon.

Jecks

RMS Regular
So i guess nows a bad time to throw £50k cash at an early 991.1s. From what i read yesterday the market is massively over inflated and the same car could be £40k this time next year or possibly even earlier. Anyone got a crystal ball. Sold the vogue few months ago , though bought cheap and sold cheap and broke even. I dont want to be taking a £1000 per month hit on a 11 year old car for the next 12 months.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Certain cars seem to be immune from price crashes and hold their value, Porsche I would say fall into that category for sure. If it’s special, good spec, low miles etc it’s bound to be safe enough. The other option is maybe PCP it if you are thinking prices could tank.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I got a price for a VW Amarok on webuyany car at the end of last week, it was £18,000. E-mail in this morning with a revised offer of £15,000 - haven't seen anything drop as much as that so quickly.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Starting to get alot of people looking to buy in our place. And their previous used car puchase trade ins are 10k+ negative equity that they bought over the last year or 2, they paid over the odds for it then (inflated market value price then), and now I'd difficulties changing out to something again, few months ago would have evened out nicely or still in positive equity now the values starting to drop some more than others going to be quite scary.

One customer had purchased a used model to tie him over till his new one arrived (had no reason to just did because he could) and now his new car as arrived, he's struggling to get out of the tie over car reasonably, where if he stuck with his original car he had (which was totally fine example!) when he ordered the new car he'd probably not be in the same position he is now!

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Starting to get alot of people looking to buy in our place. And their previous used car puchase trade ins are 10k+ negative equity that they bought over the last year or 2, they paid over the odds for it then (inflated market value price then), and now I'd difficulties changing out to something again, few months ago would have evened out nicely or still in positive equity now the values starting to drop some more than others going to be quite scary.

One customer had purchased a used model to tie him over till his new one arrived (had no reason to just did because he could) and now his new car as arrived, he's struggling to get out of the tie over car reasonably, where if he stuck with his original car he had (which was totally fine example!) when he ordered the new car he'd probably not be in the same position he is now!

Heard about people doing this with new Defenders and Cayennes during covid.

Eventually the wheel stops spinning and someone is left holding the bag of ****.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular

Out of idle curiosity, can you tell us which brand you sell?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
JLR

Eventually the wheel stops spinning and someone is left holding the bag of ****.
I made a good turn out of my first defender in 2022, but was under no illusion it would last, and bought this one to keep for ever

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4

Yes we a few customers done it with defenders and new vogues. One customer has had about 7 defenders from different trims to engines and colours, then changed to a vogue and iirc is on Vogue no5 or so currently.
Jaguar Land Rovers, we have other brands but from what I hear from those is pretty much the normal it has been for quite some time, most customers buying from other brands have been buying to keep as such or do them a right few years, rather than the "higher end" chop and change ever year or two mentality we've seen in recent years, so they aren't effected by the previous premium and drop straight away as such.

In regards to general selling we are still fairly busy, concidering things normally start dropping off this time of year, then in another month or 2 new cars dry up, people awaiting for the new year registration,

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Anyone else noticing a lot of cars with 2/3 thousand quid being dropped off the price they have been up for? Or stuff sitting longer? I’ve seen it a bit now the past month

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Or stuff sitting longer? I’ve seen it a bit now the past month

Yes.

I have kept an eye on one particular car on UCNI the past 5 months and it has came down to a nearly realistic figure for what it's actually worth.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
That’s my old Passat it has sat at that price for almost a year now. Dealer must be in no rush to sell it
IMG_0458.png

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Anyone else noticing a lot of cars with 2/3 thousand quid being dropped off the price they have been up for? Or stuff sitting longer? I’ve seen it a bit now the past month

Aye, definitely.

Few models I keep an eye on are falling back rightly, after climbing 30-40% over the last 3 years. And these are somewhat rarer cars.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Even basic cars, 2 large dealers have scrubbed 2k off a car this week. Still had 15k in the window and down to 13k when I asked. But I’m noticing it on m3 and m4’s etc too

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Not just cars but noticing a lot of people on marketplace cutting prices on large cost items lately that I have saved

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Interest rates expected to peak around Spring 2024 then start to fall again. So there’s less borrowing and spending, but more saving going on at the minute. Combine that with, cost of living crisis ongoing, fuel going Back up again, winter time, all having an effect on the prices of goods.

It could take 18-24 months to correct and the cost of borrowing to come back down again. People having to tighten the belt by the looks of it which could be a good time to get into something tasty if you had the dough sitting provided there’s ample supply.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I got a price for a VW Amarok on webuyany car at the end of last week, it was £18,000. E-mail in this morning with a revised offer of £15,000 - haven't seen anything drop as much as that so quickly.

We buy any car are a waste of space. I got a price for a 2009 Mini (£699) declared with no MOT. Due to having no MOT brought it there on a transporter. The guy then proceeded to go through it with a fine tooth comb eventually offering £258 for it which minus their admin fee would have been less than £200. I expected them to take something off but that was just taking the biscuit. I brought it home and sold it privately that evening for £500.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Chunks starting to come off some new and nearly new high end Porsche stuff, it will eventually trickle down through all the models I feel.