is this why my battery isn't charging

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Long story short, ZZR600, got a bad misfire then bike cut when clutch pulled in. Wouldn't turn over, battery was dead. New battery in today, got her started, voltage at 4k revs is only 12.4V so im assuming the charging system isn't working. I pulled the plug in the photo of the regulator and if you see the top left is cooked, will this be my problem or would this not be enough to stop it charging?

Also what would have caused this and how do I replace it, 1 wire cut or get a whole new plug. Should i look at the other end of this near the alternator for the plug down there? Its a bollix to get at and is covered in the dry oil so i haven't managed to get it off yet.

cheers
DSC_0118.JPG
DSC_0119.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Quite common on honda. Google vfr regulator rectifier fault.
Depends on how bad the charging system is.
Stator, battery and reg rec.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
OP
mx5 turbo
Drives
it hard
Its on the Kwak, Honda is another ball ache. think the rr is maybe done as the plug is brown at that end?

wes

RMS Regular
Check condition of the stator motor had a similar problem on zx6r it was shorting out.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Yea for sure. Fingers crossed it's just the connector. Maybe able to remove the female connector and replace. Otherwise replace reg rec.
Chances are its bucked your battery too

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
OP
mx5 turbo
Drives
it hard
Sorted, checked stator and rr using multimeter with youtube tutorial. Cut the connector off and put spade connectors on, hope they last

busabob

RMS Regular
dont spade it solder it,its usally caused by dirty or loose connection and its very common on suzuki as well as honda.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.