k & n air filter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Thunderace

RMS Regular
Drives
z1000sx
hi. can you please advise me on wether a k&n air intake kit can affect the mixture of the fueling. as I had one fitted to my Vectra 1.9 cdti and thought I could notice increased smoke when putting the foot down just on acceleration. I have.nt over oiled the filter. many thanks

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
I doubt it really unless some of the oil has gotten into the MAF and some silly things to it. By any chance is there a hole in the big top intercooler pipe as that caused smoke from mine and their prone to blowing as I'm on my 3rd in 2 years. I also have a cone filter on my Vectra and hasn't caused any problems with fuelling, slightly more responsive I think and makes whooshy noises lol

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
I doubt it really unless some of the oil has gotten into the MAF and some silly things to it. By any chance is there a hole in the big top intercooler pipe as that caused smoke from mine and their prone to blowing as I'm on my 3rd in 2 years. I also have a cone filter on my Vectra and hasn't caused any problems with fuelling, slightly more responsive I think and makes whooshy noises lol
hi thanks for the reply. I only notice the smoke when driving at night with headlights behind me and I put the boot down after driving slowly for a while.. I made sure to clean the maf before and after fitting the intake kit. when I put on the standard filter the smoke seems to have reduced or stopped altogether. I would like to put it back on again after mot as I miss the whooshing noise . lol. hoping to go to cavanans in Lurgan to get a sports back box made up and fitted. cheers

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
hi thanks for the reply. I only notice the smoke when driving at night with headlights behind me and I put the boot down after driving slowly for a while.. I made sure to clean the maf before and after fitting the intake kit. when I put on the standard filter the smoke seems to have reduced or stopped altogether. I would like to put it back on again after mot as I miss the whooshing noise . lol. hoping to go to cavanans in Lurgan to get a sports back box made up and fitted. cheers
I think that’s fairly normal, I only notice smoke from mine at night too, I think it’s just because you can see the vapours better due to headlights shining into the “smoke”. I drive a 1.9 CDTi 150 Vectra with a Pipercross panel filter fitted to it.

I’d only be worried if you seen the smoke during the day.

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
I think that’s fairly normal, I only notice smoke from mine at night too, I think it’s just because you can see the vapours better due to headlights shining into the “smoke”. I drive a 1.9 CDTi 150 Vectra with a Pipercross panel filter fitted to it.

I’d only be worried if you seen the smoke during the day.
cheers blackie. but still not sure if a k&n air intake kit can upset the mixture and make her run rich. I only had if fitted for a short time and since cleaned the egr valve which was dirty and seized and cleaned the turbo boost sensor . which obviously had,nt be done in a while it was blocked. now driving great. but miss the whooshing lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
cheers blackie. but still not sure if a k&n air intake kit can upset the mixture and make her run rich. I only had if fitted for a short time and since cleaned the egr valve which was dirty and seized and cleaned the turbo boost sensor . which obviously had,nt be done in a while it was blocked. now driving great. but miss the whooshing lol
It shouldn’t run rich really, the maf and o2 sensors should all keep the mixture in check in theory.

I’ve blanked my egr off and lied the swirl flaps open on mine and as I said I only see a bit of smoke at night like yourself.

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
It shouldn’t run rich really, the maf and o2 sensors should all keep the mixture in check in theory.

I’ve blanked my egr off and lied the swirl flaps open on mine and as I said I only see a bit of smoke at night like yourself.
Thanks for the info blackie

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
@Blackie have you any pictures of the swirl flaps glued open. I have only just found out this can be done and did a bit of research. Did you take the linkage swirl flap bar off

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
@Blackie have you any pictures of the swirl flaps glued open. I have only just found out this can be done and did a bit of research. Did you take the linkage swirl flap bar off
Yea the linkage bar was off mine anyway. I used araldite to stick them open and seal them to the manifold. The little “nipple”’that the linkage bar attaches to needs to be at the 10 o’clock position as that’s where the flaps are fully open.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
20A9D14C-3E53-4688-8254-E9571F8D1C6E.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Thank you kind sir, that's a job for tomorrow
Be warned, it’s quite awkward. I found it easier to unplug the glow plugs and used a lolly pop stick to get the araldite down onto the tops of the swirl flaps.

I used a pair of 90 degree bend needle nose pliers to get the flaps turned into the right position, and of course reached down under the manifold and popped off the rod that connects the solenoid to the no.3 flap.

The engine management still thinks the flaps are working, so no eml’s thrown up.

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
@Blackie . @Thunderace have either of you got what sounds like turbo chatter at 1500-2500 rpm when foot is down on accelerator, more noticeable in higher gears 3rd and up. I just can't figure out why it's doing it and it's been like that for prob a year now

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.