Keyless entry car thefts

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Be grand once we get bio sensors on the door handles and steering wheel

Then the car can decide if we have the rights and the capability to drive it (ie you're not drunk or tired or ill).

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Or here's an idea - just use an actual key, lol 😇

A bit wild, I know... But it works!

It doesn't leave people stranded in the middle of nowhere when the "tech" decides to **** itself and won't let anyone in. I've seen that one plenty of times!

And you don't need a phd in electronics and security to keep the car reasonably safe...

It's not just "keyless" either. It's electronic door handles like some Range Rovers. It's "assisted boots". It's stupid phone apps for controlling the car. The list goes on.

Seriously, who the frig actually wants to use a bleedin' phone app to open a car door???

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Another keyless entry attack, this time on bluetooth based systems. It works at pretty much any distance, and on pretty much any bluetooth based entry system - from cars to house doors. The article mentions Tesla, but really this applies to just about any reasonably modern car.

The fundamental issue is the lack of proof in the protocols that there is an actual legitimate user at the fob/phone/whatever. Just having a device in perceived proximity is enough for these systems to unlock the car/house/whatever.

The next step to fix this would be to add some positive action by an actual legitimate user, like a finger print or whatever. But that kind of defeats the whole "keyless entry" thing and you might as well just use a fob with an actual unlock button the user presses. Or an actual key, lol :innocent:

It's really just the tip of the iceberg of complicated "tech" solutions designed for things that simply were not broken, or features that simply are not needed. And in the process creating a whole heap of new problems. Says the grumpy old dude who's spent his entire life designing xxxx like this 😅

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Lifting it? Where are they taking it that a key would stop?

And no, Pin to Drive is quicker* than a key.

*Assuming you're not an idiot.

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Finger print scanner on the drivers door. Surely technology has advanced that far by now!

Imagine resetting that when you have to sell the car or lend it to someone or a family member - probably accept multiple prints but on the other hand, could be used as another method of theft after selling a car, "forget" to clear finger prints and go back for your car which you have just received payment for??

Just a thought

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Imagine resetting that when you have to sell the car or lend it to someone or a family member - probably accept multiple prints but on the other hand, could be used as another method of theft after selling a car, "forget" to clear finger prints and go back for your car which you have just received payment for??

Just a thought
Simples… it’s already cost you and arm and a leg…..what’s a finger…
BF0E7BF8-6D1D-44B9-B698-886E932A516B.jpeg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I remember my Clifford alarm system having blackjack fitted, you had to put a pin in as even with the key it would disable the engine after 30 secs

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!

Just a thought
Would need AND logic, finger print and key in proximity

G24NTR

RMS Regular
I still use our Diskloks when I’m away on holiday 😂

I still use one now all the time as a visual deterrent after catching 2 scotes trying to do a keyless theft last summer on my old 2 series (key was in a Farraday pouch).

Yes 5 minutes with an angle grinder will take it off but since keyless thefts want the easy wins I'm hoping it's enough to put the average thief off.

Been contemplating getting the Autowatch Ghost, really need to pull the finger out.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Same here, especially in the older cars. It's not perfect, if someone really wants your car then they'll take it no matter what. Just an additional deterrent for the "casual" thief sniffing around if the car has to be left somewhere less secure.

That said, most cars don't get stolen so I'm not too hung up on it. I'm just annoyed when perceived progress, like keyless entry, actually turns out to be worse than what went before. Just through bad design. And because these systems are so complicated there is no easy fix for all of it that is already out there.

I know a lot of people who install secondary after-market immobilisers as well just because of this, even on newer cars. Especially anything "desireable". Which is also going backwards and a bit nineties.