Kirkiston

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Thinking of taking the bike up for a track day next summer. Anyone have any experiance of it as a track and how well it's organised?

50 quid for the day seems pretty reasonable to me

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
I've marsalled a few times there, I always enjoy it. It's primarily a bike track, more suited to them than cars I recon.

big cyril

RMS Regular
ZS said:
I've marsalled a few times there, I always enjoy it. It's primarily a bike track, more suited to them than cars I recon.

Do you mean width of track?

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
I ve done a few bike trackdays at kirkistown, def good value for money.

Its usually split in 3 groups Green for novice, Amber for inters, Red for racers, you dont have to hold a race licence or have a race bike to enter the red group but is pretty close and usually turns into clubmans session.

Their is usually high numbers if the weathers good but you always seem to get plenty of track time. Everything runs pretty smoothly.

The only niggles that i would have is that you do get fly boys going into slower groups to make themselves look good, but ive heard that the organisizers do more now to keep an eye out and move them into the group they should be in, and if their has been a car track day or race meet before the surface can be dirty and real slippy in the early sessions.

The trackdays def boost riding confidence and after a couple of track days i was passing fireblades and R1s around the outside at Detters and fishermans on a RVF400, nothin feels better!! Its like stuffing a evo 8 in a sr nova!! (y)

wingnut

OP
wingnut
Drives
S2 Coupe
Haha reminds me of a Fireblade rider trying and failing to get the knee down round the roundabout and I passed him up the inside on my lowly AR125, priceless!

Can I just turn up that morning or do I need to book it?

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
Ya just turn up sign on and way ya go! you must have leathers either one or two piece, and not aloud supermotos or really noisey bikes:laughing:

Need to be early works on a first come first served basis.

wingnut

OP
wingnut
Drives
S2 Coupe
Happy days, something to look forward to next spring/summer then if I get a wee NC30

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
Cool, I love the 400s, a good first track bike cus they are near bullet proof and the handlin is sweet and lets you away with so many mistakes that other bigger bikes would have you off. Only thing its a bit of a struggle tryin to keep up on the back straight cus its so long at kirkistown the 600 plus bikes just disappear,since they have at least 20bhp more than a 400.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
At least the track is a bit safer than the road. Most corners have a bit of run-off area. Im no bike expert, but this applies to them aswell as cars. If your not 100% confident, dont go out and try to ride fast, but enjoy yourself at your own pace and naturally your laps will get faster anyways. Kirkistown is a great track for bikes and cars, and is a nice basic track to learn on before moving to some circuits on the mainland or europe. For £50 you cant go wrong.

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Mr Personality Award 2005 goes to....*drumroll*...hugh12345, for his stunning input in the Kirkistown thread. *applause*

:party:

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
hugh12345 said:
Wot would you know. You need to get a decent car like my saxo. kirkistown is pathetic

Think thats a bit hard!!! Where is better?
Nutts corner? Complants from neighbours about noise 24 -7. No car parking space. Its a tight circuit and if im right the lap record is held by a 125GP bike.

Bishopscourt? Needs a lot of work and the surface eats tyres, not ideal for people on a real tight budget doing trackdays.

Aghadowey? Tight track aswell with little run off and little margin of error, I rember Glen hitting his head and shoulder on the wire fence in the pre 98 class last year coming on to the start finish.

Im not saying kirkistown is brillant, but for a balance of high speed thrills value for money and safety. Its prob the best trackday circuit in NI for bikes and cars. My opinion.:cool:

wingnut

OP
wingnut
Drives
S2 Coupe
Wonder if the Orion would hack it. Can you say 0-60 in 16 seconds. Mmmmm.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
2fast4u said:
Think thats a bit hard!!! Where is better?
Nutts corner? Complants from neighbours about noise 24 -7. No car parking space. Its a tight circuit and if im right the lap record is held by a 125GP bike.

Aghadowey? Tight track aswell with little run off and little margin of error,

Im not saying kirkistown is brillant, but for a balance of high speed thrills value for money and safety. Its prob the best trackday circuit in NI for bikes and cars. My opinion.:cool:

Nutts corner, apparently the judge, that complained all the time has moved., Yeeeee Haaaaa

Aghadowey is very tight, and little margin 4 error! But still good!

Kirkistown is very good, but last time i was up there, there was no drifting allowed, for neighbours complaining bout noise,!!! Christ a guy in a carlton got one warning on first run, then was chucked out on his second run, mayb thats been resolved aswell!!

Nutts corner has very little parking area, espically when late, and its just the lane u can park on!!

But i reckon its prob the best track for the lot of us, fecking wicked circuit, and nicely situated in centre geographically for most of us!! Aghadowey and kirkistown, are both opposite ends, of country, of course they suit well for locals, like aghadowey for myself, only 20 mins down the road, but like 1hr 30 to kirkistown! and vice versa to the ones round ards pensinula!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.