Lanes/Targa Rallies

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Looks great, slippy too i would say! Cheers, fire it over if you can, keep her happy.

Standard h.brake works ok anyway, will do the job! Do you have to keep spare wheels in the car? i.e there's no 'service' / service vehicles? lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Will do when I can, yes.

Yeah, really need to keep spares in the car, I generally carry two in the boot and scrut with them in there but have left one at the start or in someones van etc just as an emergency spare to get home.

Reactions: WSK

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Get it in for the craic!! RMS day out!!

I'm lifting my Mx5 up a bit this weekend just in case!! My frame rails are perfect currently!! :eyes:

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
i.e there's no 'service' / service vehicles? lol
Never really addressed this, you can work on your own car with the tools you are carrying but nothing more. Servicing with vans and anything like that is not allowed and will be in the regs, usually risk of exclusion depending on how silly it is. TBH, if you break down, you are out because the timing is tight and you really only have time for changing a wheel or something minor before you are out just on time anyway. People will lend you wheels, tools to get you going again if they can and there's usually no shortage of help so you don't need a van or a service crew at all, just risking exclusion.

Get it in for the craic!! RMS day out!!

I'm lifting my Mx5 up a bit this weekend just in case!! My frame rails are perfect currently!! :eyes:
Deffo do that, I have used lifting blocks in the past on really rough events but this looks ok hopefully. My frame rails are pretty much flat in places after a couple of really rough events.

ryan2focus

RMS Regular
I have mine quite low on coilovers as was using it for autotest events at the same time. 95% of the last targa was fine, just had to slow for a few of the rougher patches. I don't have a sump/diff guard either which I might try to sort if we plan to do a few more of these

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Cheers, fire it over if you can, keep her happy.
Dug a few old ones out from the 2019 INTBDR, my last targa....
20240301_150058.jpg
20240301_150147.jpg
20240301_150130.jpg

Some diagrams are much better but if the tests are as flowing as the video suggests, then it should be straightforward.

• Love

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
@FM155 Good man, perfect! It's just to give her an idea of what to expect. She was thinking it'll be like a WRC stage :joy:

Looking forward to a throw about!! Spare wheels bought there, running landsails 8o|

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
@FM155 2nd in class? lol.

Great days craic, bar the rain ffs. TBH it was a bit too rough in parts for my wee road car but still had the craic and finished. And the wife enjoyed it!!

Looking to get a dedicated motor for the job now.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
There's a story in that lol. I went for class 6 because I'd not done one a targa in 4 years and assumed my class 4 privileges would have expired. They bounced me up to class 4 but didn't or couldn't change the rallyscore class.
In the event we were running in 10th overall until the second last test when I went the wrong side of a cone, failed the test and got a 2 minute penalty dropping us to 19th. Then we failed the last test too without knowing what we had done and dropped to 23rd. Gutted, but was a great event, the long tests were fantastic but as you say a bit rough in places.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Ah ballix, aye thought you were well up at one point. We failed the very first test due to a dodgy note but were grand after that, was great fun!

Enjoyed the longer test up over brogher but i had too much sympathy for the car to go flatout - 3rd time round the gravel section was a mess lol.

Might head to cookstown next, although as a nav this time.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, you really need a sumpguard and maybe some slightly raised suspension for the rough events. Problem is that not all tests are rough so you have to find a compromise.
A lot of the english/Welsh guys use diesel springs in the struts but they look like they are on stilts.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Sat in with my friend for a couple of events this year and had a ball.

We’d both wanted to do the Enniskillen one but no time unfortunately.

Derek Walker
ec3b5b7c-67e1-4584-b5eb-b9d9261b0326.jpeg

Robinson Quarry Masters