law on loud exhaust systems ???

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rosssei

RMS Regular
more interested in the definition of "excessive noise" coog. just interested!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
dad recieved a letter in the post claiming he was travelling at 52mph in a 40 zone coming into newry. he disputed it and was then sent a letter saying he was doing 58mph in a 40 zone. took it to court and video evidence showed 41mph in a 40. officers involved didnt turn up to court that day

Wouldnt surprise me....them not turning up gets them off with their cock ups, no questions asked.

If you fail to turn up in court...you get found guilty in your absence.

Double standards ??

more interested in the definition of "excessive noise" coog. just interested!

Its whatever the cop says it is, based on his/her own opinion. Virtually impossible to fight in court, hence nobody has ever won or wasted thousands of pounds trying to fight it.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
''and for who-ever said about the 10 seconds in the morning - mustn't be that loud. I've sat and listened to my neighbours car slow down for the next village, about 4 miles away, and then accelerate out of the 30 zone at the far end. Thats a good few minutes''

i think that clio is beside us too, it woke me up at 2am one sunday morn as well, canning down our street, f'in ragin, couldnt get back to sleep for ages.:scream:

rosssei

RMS Regular
just interested thats all! would be interesting to see just if there is any actual basis for a officers decision on the matter - rather than it being a grey area and down to officer preferance!

so if you have a standard exhaust and its noisy then can you be given the same punishment? or is it just aftermarket exhausts?

dont get me wrong here - not havign a go - am genuinely interested thats all! i plan to keep my exhaust standard as the reason i sold the 182 partly was due to the noise and trying to drive it every day!

Ghost

RMS Regular
If your standard exhaust was in a bad state of repair etc etc and made making 'Excess noise' then a ticket could be given for that.

brisa

RMS Regular
Drives
eunos roadster \
But that doesn't cover the likes of the situation that andy said, VXR astras are fairly quiet but the nurburgring edition has a definate 'aftermarket' rip to it. All too vague to be enforced if you ask me.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Unfortunately all of the the gurning in the world isnt going to change it, especially not on RMS.

The fact is that the law is there and due to that there is a power to issue a FPN.

End of really.

Johnski

RMS Regular
I think this debate has got slightly out of hand.

Ask yourself 'Why do people get aftermarket exhausts?'

For some its with the intention of making the car louder, for others its purely for looks only.

I personally dont like loud exhaust systems. Theres a wide variation of exhaust systems on the market that range from quiet to ridiculously loud.

If you think its loud then you have to expect another human being to think its loud too. Its not 'discrimination' if you recieve a fixed penalty as a result of the level of noise which the police officer has deemed to be excessive in that case.

There are lots of complaints of noise in residential areas and without scientific supporting evidence unfortunately all the officer has is his ears to decide on the level of noise, it is then up to him or her whether they deem this to be worthy of issuing a ticket. Thats what this debate seems to be centred on, I dont think anyones arguing that excessive noise shouldnt be dealt with by police, its more what the police use to support the term excessive.

We've all been in a situation where we've heard cars driving at night that have been quite loud, and as some have mentioned even wake people out of their sleep, therefore the advice for anyone with an aftermarket exhaust is if you think its loud then it probably is and hence you have to expect someone else will too.

rosssei

RMS Regular
^^ exactly Johnski - thats why i am wondering where rybo got his "if its aftermarket and louder at all its illegal" speel from.

i hate loud exhausts - especially when they are being used by chavs ot race up and down streets at night.

so basically to sum up the loudness is up to the officer on the day? and it goes by their judgement?

baxter -dont think anyone is gurning TBH - people are just curious to see exactly what the law is? are we talking about "excessive noise" or "louder than standard"? thats the question?

davejh

RMS Regular
Drives
A3 2.0 TFSI Blac
the only reason why I put any exhuast system on any car that iv had is for performance reasons and styling...usually a magnex as its one of the ones that doesnt rip the ass outa it and you cant even hear if you cruise along

rosssei

RMS Regular
to be honest we are all online at 2am talking about exhausts!

i think its taken 7 pages due to the confusion over my last question!

Johnski

RMS Regular
Rossei the general offence wording is excessive noise. It is up to the officers discretion on whether they deem this noise to be excessive or not.

You could probably argue all day long that 'my car isnt any louder than a tvr' but in most cases I think we all know (whether we admit it or not) if the exhaust is particularly loud.

The general rule of thumb would be if you think the exhaust is loud then you can only expect a police officer will and you may recieve a fixed penalty for it. I hope this clears things up. As I say people are complaining more and more about noise pollution be it road traffic related or not. If we reported the matter to the police who did nothing about it then we'd have another thread slagging the police for that too.

I hope the mods clear up a lot of the bitching here as it would be nicer to see threads where people actually have a constructed debate on these issues rather than them turning into slagging matches or police bashing threads.

marcdh

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda AZ-3
Lets relate issues of this to speeding. The police and government have spent literally millions in perfecting devices to scientifically prove people are speeding. Why? Because the opinion of one police officer is subjective. Should a case go to court it is always preferential to have 99% undisputable scientific evidence. To imply that one officer's opinion is infact accurate enough to fine someone is egotistically ignorant. This will lead to court cases, which with a competent defence lawyer will outcome in harassment. The issue here is that most of those with loud aftermarket systems do not have the money to waste in courts. Meanwhile the Ferrari owners who could take it to court are ripping by at 120dB...

I have had personal experience with noise complaints. I often do Protools recordings in my home studio with my band and others. I have had a warning letter from the council about noise pollution. I can tell you right now the referred legislation gives a dB limit at a given range. I have a dB meter that I have used to test max output and am well within limits, no further action has been taken. However I did improve the soundproofing to be courteous to the neighbours. This will be an obvious and easy parallel to make regarding 'excessive' exhaust noise.

If I am fined for my moderately louder, performance increasing catback that I paid for with my taxed income, I will fight for my right to be still considerably less dB than a TVR.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Lets relate issues of this to speeding. The police and government have spent literally millions in perfecting devices to scientifically prove people are speeding. Why? Because the opinion of one police officer is subjective. Should a case go to court it is always preferential to have 99% undisputable scientific evidence. To imply that one officer's opinion is infact accurate enough to fine someone is egotistically ignorant. This will lead to court cases, which with a competent defence lawyer will outcome in harassment. The issue here is that most of those with loud aftermarket systems do not have the money to waste in courts. Meanwhile the Ferrari owners who could take it to court are ripping by at 120dB...

I have had personal experience with noise complaints. I often do Protools recordings in my home studio with my band and others. I have had a warning letter from the council about noise pollution. I can tell you right now the referred legislation gives a dB limit at a given range. I have a dB meter that I have used to test max output and am well within limits, no further action has been taken. However I did improve the soundproofing to be courteous to the neighbours. This will be an obvious and easy parallel to make regarding 'excessive' exhaust noise.

If I am fined for my moderately louder, performance increasing catback that I paid for with my taxed income, I will fight for my right to be still considerably less dB than a TVR.

"Excessive speed" gives the police a free reign to do someone without any factual evidence of speeding.

rosssei

RMS Regular
Rossei the general offence wording is excessive noise. It is up to the officers discretion on whether they deem this noise to be excessive or not.

You could probably argue all day long that 'my car isnt any louder than a tvr' but in most cases I think we all know (whether we admit it or not) if the exhaust is particularly loud.

The general rule of thumb would be if you think the exhaust is loud then you can only expect a police officer will and you may recieve a fixed penalty for it. I hope this clears things up. As I say people are complaining more and more about noise pollution be it road traffic related or not. If we reported the matter to the police who did nothing about it then we'd have another thread slagging the police for that too.

I hope the mods clear up a lot of the bitching here as it would be nicer to see threads where people actually have a constructed debate on these issues rather than them turning into slagging matches or police bashing threads.

Thanks Johnski - answers my question perfectly so thanks :grinning:

I also agree - ryan there is little need to get on like a keyboard warrior!

Johnski

RMS Regular

So one police officers observations/opinion isnt sufficient for a successful prosecution? I suggest you open your eyes and realise your in the real world. By your reasoning if a police officer see's someone committing a burglary does there have to be another police officer there to prove him/her right?

Also people who spend upwards of 250quid on an aftermarket exhaust cant afford a 30 pound fixed penalty notice? well if thats the case then dont get a loud aftermarket exhaust then. Rybo and many others on the site try to help people with advice and answering general queries but it seems rms is leaning towards the jim standard of thread these days and does nothing but critisize the police....and thats putting it quite nicely.

Your issue is totally different from road traffic legislation and theres no comparison from your scenerio.

No probs rossei, as i said most people on here try to help. Its just frustrating to see these threads turning into ''its the peelers fault'' day in day out.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Apart from one or two people we see where the Police are coming from Johnski (y)

Not everyone here is criticising them.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Thread now tidied up. Please keep the bull$hit out of this thread, this is a useful and interesting legal topic which a lot of us can relate to.

Good point made above Coog - there are hundreds of active members on RMS, just because a small handful make constant anti-police remarks, don't assume everyone is like that.

So one police officers observations/opinion isnt sufficient for a successful prosecution? I suggest you open your eyes and realise your in the real world. By your reasoning if a police officer see's someone committing a burglary does there have to be another police officer there to prove him/her right?

Also people who spend upwards of 250quid on an aftermarket exhaust cant afford a 30 pound fixed penalty notice? well if thats the case then dont get a loud aftermarket exhaust then. Rybo and many others on the site try to help people with advice and answering general queries but it seems rms is leaning towards the jim standard of thread these days and does nothing but critisize the police....and thats putting it quite nicely.

Your issue is totally different from road traffic legislation and theres no comparison from your scenerio.

To be fair, a crime like a burglary can't be compared to something which is measured at a quantifiable level - like window tints, speed, or indeed, exhaust noise. Breaking in is breaking in. Murder is murder. There aren't varying degrees. On the other hand, exhaust noise, etc is is highly subjective. If it's ridiculously loud then fair enough, any member of the PSNI can immediately say that's illegal - but for borderline cases I think some type of measuring device has to be used for fairness.

Gaz

Johnski

RMS Regular
Thread now tidied up. Please keep the bull$hit out of this thread, this is a useful and interesting legal topic which a lot of us can relate to.

Good point made above Coog - there are hundreds of active members on RMS, just because a small handful make constant anti-police remarks, don't assume everyone is like that.

To be fair, a crime like a burglary can't be compared to something which is measured at a quantifiable level - like window tints, speed, or indeed, exhaust noise. Breaking in is breaking in. Murder is murder. There aren't varying degrees. On the other hand, exhaust noise, etc is is highly subjective. If it's ridiculously loud then fair enough, any member of the PSNI can immediately say that's illegal - but for borderline cases I think some type of measuring device has to be used for fairness.

Gaz

I wasnt making the comparison gaz. I was trying to work out his logic. Until the law is changed by the government then a police officers evidence will have to remain sufficient to issue fixed penalty notices. If there was a maximum dB level then the use of devices would certainly be expected. Like every other ticketable road traffic offence if you feel that the ticket is unjust then you have the right to contest it. I think it should be left at that.

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
excellant point from Gaz I think there, exhaust are hard to judge, not black or White in most cases, a fair and consistant way of deeming systems to be legal or illegal prob would be welcomed by most.

marcdh

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda AZ-3
Johnski, with all due respect I don't think you have perceived my thoughts correctly. It is my profession to work on preparing evidence to ensure conclusive cases, so please refrain from patronising. Perhaps I should have refered to window tinting as a comparison, as you too should have in regards to your burglary reference.

My logic is simple, some exhausts are too loud, they should be measured accurately and proven too loud. Gaz you've conveyed my point of view exactly.

Regarding people who can afford catbacks shouldn't have a problem with £30 fines- they shouldn't be fined at all if they're at a sensible level, that's a terrible mentallity. All I've said is I want that level to be a number, not an opinion, once that happens I'm all for it!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.