Looking a first bike on a car license

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
Hi all,
Newbie here, been on a bike once on the road, but had a bike for the fields when I was younger as am forty now moving to a bike now as am unemployed and need transport, I have Renault Clio at the mo but the insurance runs out on the 6th October 2017, as they were looking £99 for a 1.2! I just couldn’t afford that on £300/m!

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
you can ride up to a 125 but you'll have to pass your cbt first. Personally, I'd go for a scooter if I were you. Easier to ride, cheaper to run, cheaper to insure.

Still need to do your cbt though.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
By the time you buy a bike, insure it and get safety gear along with doing a cbt surely you'd be as well to insure and MOT the car?

You'll be warmer over winter too.

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
OP
Hugh Fraser
you can ride up to a 125 but you'll have to pass your cbt first. Personally, I'd go for a scooter if I were you. Easier to ride, cheaper to run, cheaper to insure.

Still need to do your cbt though.
Thanks for that, Think I’ll have to do my CBT then, as I don’t like scooters, i don’t mind dealing with the gears, clutch etc, I prefer road bikes style wise.

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
OP
Hugh Fraser
By the time you buy a bike, insure it and get safety gear along with doing a cbt surely you'd be as well to insure and MOT the car?

You'll be warmer over winter too.
It’s a 2001 Clio, so it could cost a penny or two to fix and I think I’d rather just get a bike, I think it could be cheaper in the long run.

genman

G
CBT is mandatory to be on the road...scooter or bike.
Insurance can be done by instalments these days... likely a deposit then £10pm or spread over 3 months etc for the Clio.
Getting onto a bike these days aint cheap and first time insurance will be brutal....bike insurance will likely be more than the cars.

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
OP
Hugh Fraser
Hi, I priced insurance for a QINGQI JET QM125-10E, and it was going to be £427 for the year, and for the Clio it was going to cost £1199, plus the cost of repairing it and possibly failing the MOT, I have a screenshot of the bike insurance.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Is your first post a typo, or did the insurance suddenly jump £1100?

The type of bike will depend on the type of journeys you will be doing. If you're doing mainly short distances and staying of the motorway, a CG125 or YBR125 (or chinese equivalent) would be fine. Cheap tyres and cycle parts, easy mpg, guessing easy to insure. Bear in mind an older chinese bike could be well worn.

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
OP
Hugh Fraser
Is your first post a typo, or did the insurance suddenly jump £1100?

The type of bike will depend on the type of journeys you will be doing. If you're doing mainly short distances and staying of the motorway, a CG125 or YBR125 (or chinese equivalent) would be fine. Cheap tyres and cycle parts, easy mpg, guessing easy to insure. Bear in mind an older chinese bike could be well worn.
My car insurance was £72 and is not up for renewal and it’s jumped up to £99, just too much of a jump for me, I maybe well have to travel to England for it from Northern Ireland.

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
OP
Hugh Fraser
Starting to think this is a piss take to be honest.......
What makes you think that? Here’s a screenshot for the car insurance, I also have a screenshot of the quote for the bike as well to prove am not take the Micky

Attachments

• AB8AD324-6669-45D2-A961-595ACB7B35AE.png
    AB8AD324-6669-45D2-A961-595ACB7B35AE.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 126

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
OP
Hugh Fraser
It’s 99 a months day if I was to get the bike I was looking at it would cost me 47 a month

Attachments

• 04BD1D9E-3D27-4876-ADB5-8215B01D669F.png
    04BD1D9E-3D27-4876-ADB5-8215B01D669F.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 104

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
So 1200 a year for a 40 year old on a 1.2 clio?

It's not that i don't believe you, it's just hard to believe...

Hope you get sorted and good luck with job search, nothing worse.

Hugh Fraser

RMS Member
OP
Hugh Fraser
Yeah I know it’s hard to believe I don’t believe myself and thanks for all the reply and advise. It’s very much appreciated, just don’t know much about bikes at mo.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
What makes you think that? Here’s a screenshot for the car insurance, I also have a screenshot of the quote for the bike as well to prove am not take the Micky

One minute you were talking £99 then it was £1100, hadn't a clue what was going on. Now i know you were talking monthly figures it makes sense. Still think the car insurance is unreal unless you've a load of points or a bad crash history?

If you want some money saving advice, buy a bicycle. No fuel or insurance required, you'll get fitter, no wetter than on a motorbike but at least you'll be moving and exercising to keep warm. Between a bicyle and public transport there's nowhere out of reach.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
My advice is buy a cheap bike 125cc with a years mot.

Sort the cbt out and sort some used gear off gumtree or the likes.

Buy a new helmet (decent ones kick off 50 quid and you know it's never been dropped etc)

And enjoy. Fuel economy will be great and after a year insurance will drop a bit. Just take your time getting used to a bike on the roads. Very different to field riding etc etc

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Your monthly payment is more than my bike insurance for the year!

Something isn't right here, what factors are influencing the high premium?

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
did you try comparethemarket or other shop-around insurance sites? £1200 for such an old car seems a bit much for a 40 year old.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'd just talk to a human about it. Phone EA Davies insurance. They are local NI company and very good for bikes. (Cheapest for me anyway)

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Personally I would steer clear of the Chinese replica stuff. As suggested a CG 125 Honda would be my choice.

warren

RMS Photographer
From experience of driving a bike 365 for several years before owning a car.... its all fine and dandy in the summer but your going to hate it when you have to climb onto the bike when its 0 degrees outside. Not to mention just generally a terrible/dangerous idea :grinning:

If your still set on it a good neck warmer, heated grips and a rain suit are a must. Don't buy cheap gloves or boots.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
From experience of driving a bike 365 for several years before owning a car.... its all fine and dandy in the summer but your going to hate it when you have to climb onto the bike when its 0 degrees outside. Not to mention just generally a terrible/dangerous idea :grinning:

If your still set on it a good neck warmer, heated grips and a rain suit are a must. Don't buy cheap gloves or boots.

If you can find a Piaggio MP3 (2 front wheels) and add an apron for over your legs, you'd be quite well sorted for commuting in all seasons.

genman

G
1200 for a clio... what's that about...rarely stick to your existing insurer as their renewal is always well above actual price....my attitude is if they can't give a decent renewal quote then they can do one.
Are you riddled in claims.. points or had a driving ban or something....if so the bike quote doesn't really reflect that.
How long have you been driving
Also that instalment plan is a rip off..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.