Looking a Mk7.5 Golf R or….

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Be sure the DSG and haldex have been serviced and be aware that mapped cars can lunch DSG clutches and haldex diffs.
If he’s looking at 7.5 that shouldn’t be an issue. Plenty running 450-500bhp with no issues.
It’s the 7R 6 speed dsg seem to be worse.

But like any Monday / Friday car.

Red is also nice
IMG_3630.jpeg

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
I caught a pair trying to steal my old BMW about 2 years ago, one had a bag with attached aerial the other was at the car, they soon scarpered when confronted.

The RFID pouches fail after a few months so need to keep checking them, not a buy and forget solution.

Personally if it comes with a normal key option I'd prefer it over keyless.
Small to medium sized sweetie tin does a good job of blocking your key signal.

Trick is to get into the habit of using the tin all the time before you nod off.

@Snoopcousins , good luck with the hunt.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Benefit of keyless/push button start/start-stop is cheaper road tax

No issues with it in mine and I keep my key in a faraday bag when at home

An S3 is also there within your budget with similar stock options - as said, avoid the pan roof and thats about it tbh - not aware of pan roof issues in the S3's though

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I caught a pair trying to steal my old BMW about 2 years ago, one had a bag with attached aerial the other was at the car, they soon scarpered when confronted.

The RFID pouches fail after a few months so need to keep checking them, not a buy and forget solution.

Personally if it comes with a normal key option I'd prefer it over keyless.

What is the reason they fail?

I had one for two years, and my wallet which is 3 years old and uses the same technology both still work fine.

GrantR

RMS Regular
What is the reason they fail?

I had one for two years, and my wallet which is 3 years old and uses the same technology both still work fine.

Lining can wear out. It'll still work to a degree as long as positioned far enough away from the vehicle/thief.

If in doubt just stick the key in the microwave.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
And on that point; check insurance prices!
Yea it’s. It too bad tbh, weirdly enough I’m getting quotes around £600 compared to over a grand for an F80 etc

@hannakournikova yes red has grown on me in them- I haven’t had red since a MK1 LCR but since seeing a red one with all the options and FVWSH etc I’m thinking about it

Still trying to decide for a normal spec with around 75K mikes or a clean 2018k fully optioned car with 100k..🧐

stevensti

RMS Regular
Drives
slowly
After looking at both Cupra’s and Golf for my wife she settled on the golf and picked up a 2019 GTI PP with very low mileage. Out of your spec above we dont have Dynaudio but everything else. The Cupra overall felt very dated inside compared to the golf and overall the golf drove better. Yes we paid more for the golf but not much. The spec level is excellent and even compared to my S4 is more fun to drive.
As mentioned you are more than welcome to come and have a look around it.

IMG_2842.jpeg

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
@stevensti cheers for offer, I having 100% ruled out the GTI PP, if I think more about it I’ll take you up on it 👍

Do these map well…?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
If he’s looking at 7.5 that shouldn’t be an issue. Plenty running 450-500bhp with no issues.
It’s the 7R 6 speed dsg seem to be worse.

@Snoopcousins The 7.5 has the DQ381 DSG box (7spd) as far as I am aware compared to the DQ250 in the older cars with 6 speed

I have been running 480bhp for the last 6 years, 100+ launches and daily driven - car is currently on 86/87k miles with the DQ250 6 speed

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
So DCC not deal breaker?
How much is the full fix for the water pump etc? This related to the coolant leaks?
The all-in warranty - is this only available if buying a used car already under VW warranty or can I buy a used 2018 privately and still get it ?

Yes should have mentioned I’m already decided on the DSG, I like it on the R32 and the 7-speed should be even better

What about the dynamic light Assist? Does this work like the High Beam assist on BMW? If it does I loved that when I had it
The All in Plan is cars from 3 to 6 years and under 100k miles.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The problem with the R is that they don’t look anything special. A 7.5 GTI in the right colour with 19” wheels looks so much better.
When I had my 2016 R the number of people that asked about it and I said "it's an R" and they went , " O, it's not an R32" was unreal. No one knew what they really were way back then. Years ago they where ground breaking

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The BIL automatically assumed mine was just a 1.6 estate. Right up to the point I blipped it up a slip onto the motorway. His face was a picture.

Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

I like that about it.

376807-82f63cb1b3264ad68f98af896ce2bd94.jpeg

GTI looks great too. They've always been red stripes and a bit more sporty looking than the R / VR / etc. That's the way it has always been.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Nice GTD there :joy:

Honestly though, if you weren't in the "know," you wouldn't tell the difference between a GTD estate, R-Line or R - similar to the S3 - stock S3 just looks like any other S-Line bar the exhausts which is basically the only tell - front bumper is exactly the same.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Nice GTD there :joy:

Honestly though, if you weren't in the "know," you wouldn't tell the difference between a GTD estate, R-Line or R - similar to the S3 - stock S3 just looks like any other S-Line bar the exhausts which is basically the only tell - front bumper is exactly the same.

Same for the older M sport cars too.

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
My PSNI spec black 7.5 r. No issues in my almost 2 years ownership aside from water pump which was covered under warranty.
I was on the fence about black until I seen it cleaned up and in person, and im still happy with my choice.

1699103531740.png

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.