M135i Manual Vs Auto

pdargan22

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTI
Hi guys, in the market for an m135i and wondering people's thoughts on Man Vs Auto. The car will be used for short commutes when weather dictates and spirited driving at the weekend.

Any other pros/cons, advice welcome

Cheers in advance

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
New or previous M135i?

The ZF auto gearbox is fantastic, if its an everyday it would be DSG/Stronic all day long. My last 3 cars have all been the DSG or S-tronic versions, I simply wouldn't buy a manual car again, and when I have driven one as a loner etc it hasn't made me miss them at all.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
If it's only a short commute no stop start traffic manual. I sometimes miss my auto but its grand because I spend very little time in stop start traffic.

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
Auto all day long!

I'm selling mine, 2013, full BMWSH, 59K miles, one previous owner.

Send me a message if youd like to know anymore. Cheers!

davyk31

RMS Regular
Won’t be the new model the F40 as they only come in auto and that’s just fine for me.
In the previous model I would also go auto.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
ZF would be my choice. Ticks all the boxes imho. It just does everything well, including when you operating it ‘manually’. Hold’s gears, downshifts when you want.

I can’t really fathom how anyone would regret having it during spirited driving.... yet for the rest of the time, it’s smooth, economical and a relaxing drive.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I test drove an auto, then bought a manual because I thought it would make a better drivers car.

Couldn't ever decide if I made the right choice or not. I couldn't change in the manual fast enough to give the same sensation of speed that the auto gave, but I also loved banging through the gears, heel&toe-ing, etc.

I think manual more fun, auto faster

MarkM

RMS Regular
I don't understand this.
You can have just as much fun and get there faster with auto, even have a play with paddles with blips etc.
Sure Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti all use auto? 🤷‍♂️

I was the biggest flappy paddle hater from my Evo days, the A45 changed that, I really enjoy a country road blast with both hands on the wheel flicking gears

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I don't understand this.
You can have just as much fun and get there faster with auto, even have a play with paddles with blips etc.
Sure Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti all use auto? 🤷‍♂️

Totally agree, 6 years ago I would have said there was no way I would ever drive anything but a manual. Now, I would never buy a manual car again, and I have driven a few manuals over the last few years but getting into one has confirmed to me that I don't miss them at all.

After driving a manual for a day or two, I can't wait to get back into my DSG car.

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Aah the good old DSG/DCT/PDK/Auto vs manual debate. Haven’t had one of these as a while.

My 2p if it’s worth anything. I live in England so either on a motorway or stuck in traffic so auto all the way. Living back home manual for the craic.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I love the whole manual = drivers car thing. For me my manual Mini makes sense and works for my skill level (low! Lol) but anything quite fast I think I’d go auto provided the box was decent and the ZF is great. Makes it a bit of a Jekyl and Hyde car as a daily cruiser and paddles when you want a spirited drive

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I always said manual as autos are dung. The last auto I had was a scorpio granada and it was sh1te. I have a 135 the new ugly 1 and the auto is great. By the time you balls about depressing the clutch selecting another gear, flick the paddle and away you go it's instant. Or flick it into sport auto and let it do the work, left foot for braking. Although these new cars don't like heel and toe at all.

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
Hi guys, in the market for an m135i and wondering people's thoughts on Man Vs Auto. The car will be used for short commutes when weather dictates and spirited driving at the weekend.

Any other pros/cons, advice welcome

Cheers in advance

Which did you go for in the end? I’m after an auto myself at the minute, finding them hard to come by in the right spec.

bob

RMS Regular
Yeah Pablo we've a 2014 Auto 3door in stock at the moment, fantastic car. As much as I love my manuals it would have to be an Auto in one of these.

pablo

RMS Moderator
the ZF is ******* brilliant

I had it in my 235i and honestly it was a gamechanger. The DSG in my 2019 Leon feels a bit flat in comparison

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Every time someone buys an automatic Gwyndaf Evans dies a little inside 😄

Naw, I’m definitely an auto convert for daily driving at least. The ZF / Sachs boxes are sublime. There’s a 9 speed one in my MK10 Civic and it’s buttery smooth.
Wouldn’t say the same about the wife’s DSG Touran though.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Things have definitely come a long way since dsg was brought out 16/17 years ago? Before that it was mostly old slush boxes than turned lots of petrol into noise and moderate acceleration. OK in an old XJ6 but awful in anything remotely sporty.