M50: Almost €3m lost in unpaid tolls by NI drivers

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

I've only used this road a handful of times, and I’ve always pay the toll. Seems not everyone does...

Do you always pay or have you ever forgotten and are were you pursued for it?

If you use it it's only right you pay for it IMO. Don't really understand why someone would think it's OK not to.

My previous lease was clocked going through it and because I had my account linked to the car (but the card deactivated) they chased me. Chased me quite a bit actually!

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Yeah I’ve choice dyslexia and didn’t read the signs and received a letter through the post... then another....and another lol. Eventually did pay it for all it was tho

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have an account however their cameras must have issues with metro plates. Sometimes it registers going one way but not the other on the same day.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I got fined 2 years ago as I genuinely forgot to pay two journeys. I used the toll roads around Ireland fairly regularly.

I've now got a tag which is so handy, never need to worry about paying within the time as it's a direct debit. Cheaper to use the M50 with a tag too.

bill

Banned
When did the M50 get tolls i used it in 2014 and never heard anything.

bill

Banned
About 2008 maybe. Only recently have they started chasing EU drivers. Brexit will fix that lol same as my French speeding tickets🙄
Oh dear i had used it a couple of times going to Cork never heard anything ever. Oh dear i am a wanted man in the South i must owe them about 10 payments.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I always pay it, but on one occasion I genuinely forgot and then got a letter about 6 weeks later. Did some digging about the consequences for non-ROI drivers and it appears the Irish gov will send out reminder letters and if no response, they then pass the case over to a debt collection agency in the UK - this is effectively the same type of firms as used by the likes of the Parking Enforcement agencies, and as such their legal jurisdiction gives them very limited powers when it comes to Northern Ireland and Scotland. The DVA will pass them on keeper information for contact purposes - name and address - but unlike in England, they have no legal foothold such as the POFA 2012 (which applies only to England and Wales) to easily pursue this further.

"Keeper liability refers to the lawful right of the car park operator to hold the registered keeper liable for a parking charge where the driver that incurred the notice cannot be identified. This lawful right was introduced in 2012 in England and Wales as part of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (known as POFA)"

I would thus assume that without it is not financially feasible for them to take it as far as a court case for isolated incidents, but if you were a persistent repeat offender (e.g. weekly M50 commutes) then it's not outside the realms of possibility that they could try and make an example of you.

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
The M50 had a barrier toll like the M1 . It was nicknamed the car park due to the fact you were sat there for so long

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
By the time I reach the Rosslare boat it’s totally gone out of my head.
Received a letter last year and paid.
Remembered a few days into this year’s holiday and tried to log in to pay but not allowed and no letter. But always remember the homeward leg.
Have no issue with paying just focused the on getting away, when I pass it by dawn’s early light.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I would thus assume that without it is not financially feasible for them to take it as far as a court case for isolated incidents, but if you were a persistent repeat offender (e.g. weekly M50 commutes) then it's not outside the realms of possibility that they could try and make an example of you.

I think it's more a matter of how much hassle it's worth to argue over and potentially end up with a blot on your credit record and all the rest of it. And for what at the end of the day?

I usually just forget, lol, head like a sieve. Same with the Dart charge in England, got caught out with parking fees at service stations and other stupid things like that. Including getting hit by a service station "parking charge" after visiting Donington services twice the same day on a track day. Absolutely no point arguing, just pay and move on. Life is too short.

The legal finery really has no bearing.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I think it's more a matter of how much hassle it's worth to argue over and potentially end up with a blot on your credit record and all the rest of it. And for what at the end of the day?

I usually just forget, lol, head like a sieve. Same with the Dart charge in England, got caught out with parking fees at service stations and other stupid things like that. Including getting hit by a service station "parking charge" after visiting Donington services twice the same day on a track day. Absolutely no point arguing, just pay and move on. Life is too short.

The legal finery really has no bearing.

I was only providing it for reference in case some people are under the impression they'll have a cop knocking on their door over the head of this ........... that won't happen because of NI being a separate entity when it comes to debt collection managed within England. As mentioned, I've always paid it apart from forgetting on one occasion. I agree that considering the relatively low cost, it makes for a simpler life if it's just paid.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Used the toll road on 11th July, tried to pay shortly after but had missed the deadline and the website blurb said a letter would be sent out and pay it then. The letter finally arrived today (postmark says Middlesex) was expecting a big fine but the total due including the penalty is £5.65

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
If you talk to people that live down there, they'll tell you how the toll went on to pay for the road, which it did, a lot of years ago. But it is still there...