Masking Tape

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
Ran out of 3434 Blue masking tape, and waiting on an order from cleanyourcar which should have been here today.

Just wondering do any of the experienced detailers know If I could use ordinary white masking tape to cover black rubber seals? Or is the 3M 3434 stuff specially for the job?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
the ordinary stuff can leave a crap residue behind after you peel it off especially the longer you leave it. i just stick to the blue stuff as its just mess free to use and sticks really well

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
OP
M
the ordinary stuff can leave a crap residue behind after you peel it off especially the longer you leave it. i just stick to the blue stuff as its just mess free to use and sticks really well

Anywere in belfast keep it? could do with some more.

Trying to do a 17 yr old porsche at minute and either it was cos i was near end of tape or it just wouldnt stick to the rubber seals, between windows n panels.

Or it could have been down to whatever they were previously dressed with i guess?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
nowhere local as far as i know so you would need to order some up.

as for it not sticking, have you cleaned off all the trim dressing that was on there before hand? if not then of course it will have trouble sticking .the blue tape should stick pretty well to anything on your car.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
The ordinary white tape will leave a residue behind. I wouldn't use it personally. On older cars too it has a habit of taking off paint from doorhandles etc.

Baz C

Banned
The ordinary white tape will leave a residue behind. I wouldn't use it personally. On older cars too it has a habit of taking off paint from doorhandles etc.

White tape will only leave a residue behind if you soak it and leave it for awhile or if leave it on for days (which it might take a detailer)

Johnski

RMS Regular

Not true, every bodyshop in the country uses white masking tape(y) cant see a problem with using it personally maybe its not good for 'detailing' purposes:relieved:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I could get you that blue 3M stuff, but you probably wouldn't turn up for it the same as when you wanted that lightweight jack.......:relieved:

As Johnski said, I'm sure a good quality standard masking tape will do the same job. (y)

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I'm just giving my experience of it, the one and only time I used white tape it left a residue behind, and so I would personally never use it again. There's a motor factors in Lurgan does the blue stuff anyway so it's handy got.

Baz C

Banned
It must have been a ****e white tape then lad, 3m white tape doesn't leave anything

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Have used a bit of white tape myself with no paint flaking/rubber perishing woes.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.