Mickylad's BMW Alpina D3 E90 Montego Blue #306

Mickylad

RMS Regular
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Thought it was about time that I put up a thread about this car saying it's the longest I've ever kept a car. I bought this at the time to replace my outgoing 2014 BMW M135i which I sold for a variety reasons at the time :joy:

After a bit of a lookabout I had no idea what sort of car I wanted, I came across this advert locally and thought it would be worth a look as I really loved the look of them from back in the day. I knew whenever I seen and drove it that day I had to leave with it. Here we are nearly 3 years later and I still have it! I've tried to stay as close to OEM as possible as with these Alpina's it is what seems to help with the resell appeal and value.

Anyone who doesn't know much about them, Alpina pretty much purchase these cars off BMW as a standard E90 320d SE and then replace a lot of the standard BMW parts with Alpina Parts. On this model they replaced the following:
  • Wheels - Alpina 19" Classic C01 "Styling II" Wheels
  • Suspension - Bilstein Shock Absorbers & Alpina Springs
  • Turbo - Garrett/Alpina Intake Side/330d Exahust Side
  • Intercooler - Uprated 330d Intercooler
  • Injectors - 535d Injectors (335d wasn't developed at time of release)
  • Exhaust - Alpina Stainless Steel Twin Exit
  • ECU - Alpina's Software
  • Front Bumper - Alpina Lower Splitter
  • Rear Spoiler - Alpina Lip
  • Rear Badging - "Alpina" & "D3" Badging
  • Steering Wheel & Gearknob - Alpina Lavalina Leather & Badging
  • Cluster Gauge - Blue Alpina Branded Dials
  • Floor Mats - Alpina Branded Mats
  • Keys - Alpina Badged Keys

Here are some pictures from throughout my ownership:

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_1349.jpeg

IMG_0786.jpeg

IMG_0206.JPG

877C49A7-100F-4206-8013-9729E717856D.jpg

Since then, I've carried out a variety of work to the car including yearly services. I've tried to keep a list and account of what I've spend in the order I've done it:
  • Bosch Aerotwin Wiper Blades
  • Kumho Ecsta PS91 265/30 R19
  • Kumho Ecsta PS91 235/35 R19
  • Alpina Centre Caps 63mm (Pukar Designs)
  • RoyalSteeringWheels Retrim (Standard Spec with Alpina Stitching)
  • Nu-Luk Wheel Refurb (Costly but well worth it!)
  • Yuasa HSB019 Car Battery
  • Alpina Foam Pads 91473613142 (To stop the dreaded center cap rattle)
  • Service Kit (Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Pollen Filter)
  • Genuine BMW Front and Rear Badges
  • MOT 4th October 2018
  • BMW Genuine Front All-Weather Rubber Floor Mats Anthracite 3 Series E90
  • Brembo Front & Rear Disks & Pads
  • Bilstein B4 Shocks and Dampers Front & Rear
  • Alpina Shock Tower Gasket
  • LUK Clutch & Dual Mass Flywheel
  • Kumho Ecsta PS91 265/30 R19 (12/08/19 - 116400 miles)
  • Hunter Full Alignment
  • MOT 13th September 2019
Really stuck in two minds over what to do with this car since I picked up my new motor. It's been stored in the garage at the minute on a trickle charger and just seems like a waste but honestly in two minds over selling it or not.

Last edited:

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
That is superb. There was one for sale about 6 months ago with the alpina strips down the side and I was so tempted to buy it, it was a high miler which put me off in the end

Mickylad

RMS Regular
OP
Mickylad
Drives
M2Comp/i3
That is superb. There was one for sale about 6 months ago with the alpina strips down the side and I was so tempted to buy it, it was a high miler which put me off in the end

I had toyed with the idea of getting the stripes for it but decided not to put the money into them in the end!

This one has currently got 125k miles on it, prices for them are all over the place at the minute.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Lovely, I had a E36 alpina coupe many years ago. It was an ex Bavarian demo, a really rare sight on the roads, I’m fairly sure it was the same colour as yours.

Mickylad

RMS Regular
OP
Mickylad
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Lovely, I had a E36 alpina coupe many years ago. It was an ex Bavarian demo, a really rare sight on the roads, I’m fairly sure it was the same colour as yours.

The price an E36 Alpina is commanding now is scary. And I'm sure whenver you had it they were really rare indeed! Still can count on my hand how many other Alpinas I've seen on the road, there are a few F30 D3s going about I've noticed, particulary one somewhere around where I live!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Brilliant. I sold one identical...the thing that surprised me was just how much better a car it was than a standard e90 - definitely not just an e90 in a dress, a much more satisfying/competent drivers car.

Mickylad

RMS Regular
OP
Mickylad
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Brilliant. I sold one identical...the thing that surprised me was just how much better a car it was than a standard e90 - definitely not just an e90 in a dress, a much more satisfying/competent drivers car.

Agreed, it's one of the reasons that I was very particular about replacing the shocks like for like in this whenever they needed done. For a car running 235/35 and 265/30 tyres on 19" rims and slightly lowered, it rides absolutely superb!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Agreed, it's one of the reasons that I was very particular about replacing the shocks like for like in this whenever they needed done. For a car running 235/35 and 265/30 tyres on 19" rims and slightly lowered, it rides absolutely superb!

Yes the ride is much better than an M Sport e90, would run rings round one on a back road too.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
The price an E36 Alpina is commanding now is scary. And I'm sure whenver you had it they were really rare indeed! Still can count on my hand how many other Alpinas I've seen on the road, there are a few F30 D3s going about I've noticed, particulary one somewhere around where I live!

Typical, one of those things I should have held on to. Yeah, I never seen another one on the road. Bavarian were always really good with it when I came in as at that time at least it was the only Alpina they had ever sold.

Mickylad

RMS Regular
OP
Mickylad
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Yes the ride is much better than an M Sport e90, would run rings round one on a back road too.

I've had it on a few of the runs and been able to keep up rightly with some cars round the twisties, just by today's standard 200bhp is a bit wanting but defo a great chassis!

Typical, one of those things I should have held on to. Yeah, I never seen another one on the road. Bavarian were always really good with it when I came in as at that time at least it was the only Alpina they had ever sold.

It's like all this sort of stuff now, it's only worth what someone will pay for it, and the prices sometimes get out of hand! I think Sytner Nottingham has the Alpina brand tied up in the UK now, but my particular car has been an Northern Ireland car since new, not sure if it was sold through Bavarian or brought in from across the water.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Bavarian is part of the Sytner group, has been for a few years now since they bought over the Agnew group.

Mickylad

RMS Regular
OP
Mickylad
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Found a nice picture from what must have been one of the Cars and Coffee meets back a long time ago when a lovely '71 BMW 2002 Tii parked beside me!

IMG_0199.jpeg

Reactions: Ben

Mickylad

RMS Regular
OP
Mickylad
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Remember taking this picture not long after the Alpinas came out - can't imagine there being too many over here, so might actually be your car?

My goodness, that is it’s original registration! Can I be cheeky and ask where and when that was taken?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My goodness, that is it’s original registration! Can I be cheeky and ask where and when that was taken?

File name must be the date I took the picture 05/02/2008, was looking through an old memory stick and found it yesterday!
Picture was taken outside our old head office at work, in Lisburn. Must have been someone in for a meeting, was none of the people that worked there owned it!

Took the picture at the time as my dad was in the market for a new E90, and was trying to convince him to buy one of these - he bought a 330d M Sport instead.

Last edited:

Mickylad

RMS Regular
OP
Mickylad
Drives
M2Comp/i3
File name must be the date I took the picture 05/02/2008, was looking through an old memory stick and found it yesterday!
Picture was taken outside our old head office at work, in Lisburn. Must have been someone in for a meeting at the time, was none of the people that worked there owned it!

Took the picture at the time as my dad was in the market for a new E90, and was trying to convince him to buy one of these - he bought a 330d M Sport instead.
The original owner in the Alpina handbook did have an address in Belfast if I remember correctly! Amazing that you just happened to remember about that from 12 years ago and it is the same car! :joy:

The car is actually on this plate at the minute as I've taken off my personalised registration in preperation for selling it.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The original owner in the Alpina handbook did have an address in Belfast if I remember correctly! Amazing that you just happened to remember about that from 12 years ago and it is the same car! :joy:

The car is actually on this plate at the minute as I've taken off my personalised registration in preperation for selling it.

Had thought it was the same car from when I first looked at the thread, especially when you mentioned it being an NI car from new.

Was looking for something on an old memory stick yesterday, and seen the picture so thought I'd post it!

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2

Should be a good rare car for someone to own and cherish! Im sure theres not too many in that condition at the minute, would be a BMW owners wet dream

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Thats class! Love the ducktail on it. If you've somewhere for it I'm sure its worth holding onto?