Mid Lockdown Crisis Car - MR2 Roadster

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
So, just before the while Covid thing took off I was planning to buy some cheap (£1500) fun this summer. Really I was looking for a cheap hot hatch or something RWD. I'm a Renault fanboy and although a 172/182 would have been perfect, finding a decent one was probably more than I wanted to spend. Having not had RWD, mid engine or a convertible before I thought that ticking one of those off would be good but here we are - ticked them all in one swoop!

Between putting a deposit down and picking it up, I managed to read @Jamz3k thread and somehow still come home with it. There is some reassurance in that he is fairly local if (or more likely when) the engine needs swapped out on my drive....

So here it is (with required filter)....

IMG_20200531_091302_917.jpg

2002 1.8VVTi with 140 raging ponies from the factory - who knows how many are left?!
93k miles
Not quite 50 shades of grey but definitely a couple of shades of silver
Leather seats and roof in good shape
Few mods as last owner had set it up for lanes rally but only got a chance to do one before lockdown.
History - limited but MOT history is respectable. Highlight of the history is probably this gem from a local car club blog:
Previous Owner bought a Toyota MR2 for his first ever motorsport event. The Ross Park Targa was always going to be a learning curve for him, and he got Experienced Navigator to take the navigators seat for his debut. PO enjoyed his event, even though handbrake trouble caused the crew to go backward through a fence causing the test to be stopped whilst the MR2 was recovered. Luckily only suffering body damage the two brought the car to the finish which was a great start for PO's first Targa Rally.

First impressions are good! Wanted something fun and I would say it definitely is that although I can see why the 2ZZ upgrade is so popular. A few more HP would make it even better.

Having driven lease and company cars for the last few years this is the first car I've had in a while that I can tinker with and modify which I am looking forward to as much as driving!

Steven

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Had a good laugh last Saturday night with the previous owner chasing me mostly sideways I must add .good lad you got it from ,him and his father has a couple of nice cars between them .

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Seen mr2 in the title and before reading the second paragraph I was thinking oh dear here we go again, another @Jamz3k type thread where there'll be cussing and swearing galore 🤣

Looks tidy and all the best with her

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
OP
StevenMc29
Had a good laugh last Saturday night with the previous owner chasing me mostly sideways I must add .good lad you got it from ,him and his father has a couple of nice cars between them .
Yea, he said because there was unlikely to be much more motorsport this year he was selling up and putting his Focus RS back on the road!
Was this James’ MR2? Bought a power steering pump off him last month.
Yea, think his is or was breaking a black one.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
These are popular in the lanes rallies now, sort of seen as a step up from the MX5 by a lot of people. Main advantage is they are a bit lighter from the factory and once you gut the bumpers and a few other bits and pieces, they can be got below 900kg. The 2ZZ conversion really makes them into a bit of a weapon though, most of the better converted ones have a lower final drive and proper diff to make it useable in the tighter spots and give grip on the loose tests. A 2ZZ on aftermarket management gives just shy of 240 brake which makes it a very different machine. Handling and weight transfer are a bit harder to sort though as all that weight out the back seems to make them a bit more difficult to throw around as easily as the MX5. Traction on the rough stuff is fantastic though. It's a bit of a budget Elise with only 150kg more in it...
Health to drive!

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
OP
StevenMc29
I'm not sure what route to take with this. Would like to dabble in a bit of motorsport but options are probably limited this year so steering towards a fast road set up which should still lend itself to track days and maybe autotesting in the future. Probably rule out lanes rallies and as I would like to lower it which is a shame as they look like good fun.

On that note, the first bit of tinkering was to disconnect the hydraulic handbrake and reinstate the original handbrake. The hydraulic had been linked to the the original handbrake lever to comply with new motorsport rules which state the lever should be horizontal and not vertical like most people run. Anyway, was a handy enough swapped over.

20200531_134318.jpg

Also debating putting the standard wheel back on whilst it's going to be predominantly a road car. The indicators not self cancelling can be annoying.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I would honestly say it would be much better suited to track days than autotest work. Autotests are probably the only discipline where great grip and traction would be a slight drawback. They can be used on an autotest but the grip does hamper the sort of manoeuvres required.
Look at this video of an autotest up at carnfunnock a couple of years back. Robert Woodside struggles a bit with getting his 2zz mr2 to change direction and keep a tight line in places. He has plenty of autotest experience so it was a surprise to see him a bit off the pace.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
If you get a working *good* handbrake for more than just to pass MOT, I’ll be mega pissed. I’ve changed everything and still the handbrake turns to **** after a bit of use.
Yeah that’s him .

Went to school with the fella, didn’t realise until I got there. Decent spud and some nice motors!

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
OP
StevenMc29
If you get a working *good* handbrake for more than just to pass MOT, I’ll be mega pissed. I’ve changed everything and still the handbrake turns to **** after a bit of use.

Went to school with the fella, didn’t realise until I got there. Decent spud and some nice motors!

Seems dead on at the moment but we are only a few days into ownership... Assuming it will get an MOT extension here so won't be able to wow you with the official brake test numbers for a while!
It boggles my mind how they remember where to go 😂

Mr2 is alot of fun. Should have kept that hydro for some roundabout fun lol

It's easy enough hooked up again if or when required although have the option of both at the same time would be good!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It boggles my mind how they remember where to go 😂

You get to walk them a few times to get them into your head, then you usually get to see a few going through before you to reinforce the memory.

It's easy enough hooked up again if or when required although have the option of both at the same time would be good!
Have you disconnected the brake lines to the hydro cylinder? Be careful if the hydro is hooked into the existing system as with the pressure when braking hard can push the circlip out that holds the piston in the hydro cylinder when the Clevis is disconnected from the handbrake.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
OP
StevenMc29
You get to walk them a few times to get them into your head, then you usually get to see a few going through before you to reinforce the memory.

Have you disconnected the brake lines to the hydro cylinder? Be careful if the hydro is hooked into the existing system as with the pressure when braking hard can push the circlip out that holds the piston in the hydro cylinder when the Clevis is disconnected from the handbrake.
Tried to PM you there but your inbox is full.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Tried to empty it but can't, no button for it lol. Will continue to hit random buttons with my fist... (y) :p