Mini Mayfair Paddy Hopkirk rep

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
Working flat out at this wee car between work and supra, finally got the bonnet finished, the original black was a vinyl and it looked terrible, was embarrassed looking at it, so painted it instead and the finish came out great, @Neil@rockvale sorted me for the letters to give it the finishing touch, now to make a decision to do four bonnet pins šŸ™ƒ more updates shortly
IMG_7413.jpeg
a3c6da31-150c-4924-b106-5ea47e4a1647.jpeg
IMG_7483.jpeg

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
More DIY from stuff laying about the garage, done it in a way so trolley Jack, bar and breaker bar donā€™t slide about and make contact with the battery, plus looks better, itā€™s down a little to the left for a reason, when the wheels get refurbed they will have wider tyres so thatā€™ll level it out, done that on purpose šŸ˜‰ mE aN eNgINeeR šŸ˜‚
IMG_7479.jpeg
IMG_7480.jpeg
IMG_7489.jpeg

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
One advantage to recovery work is rocking upto garages with a car to be fixed and buying stuff thatā€™s kinda hard to find, 10ā€x5ā€ from what I can make out they are genuine Wolfrace wheels, already sand blasted down and with a little prep painted, Iā€™ll work on these the next few days, I primed one and it took very well
33efc0a3-a50f-421b-a821-b17b9bd2fb8f.jpeg
IMG_7520.jpeg
IMG_7531.jpeg

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
While waiting on the welder freeing up time Iā€™ve done more tidying, new gators over the steering rack and two brand new track rod ends, gearbox seal replaced at the gear change end, had a little carpet over so was gonna carpet the whole boot but thought this way looked better , painted the new wheels, changed the brand new tyres over and got new wheel nuts, the wheels wonā€™t go on until the car is welded and everything is painted red , four new shocks is all Iā€™ve to get for the car to be perfect and ready for mot.
IMG_7593.jpeg
IMG_7578.jpeg

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
If you are dropping down to 10ā€ wheels you might need to change the brakes too if itā€™s running 8.4ā€ discs. Can convert them to 7.5 or 7.9 and they fit grand then

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
@big_pete last owner already done the upgrade , in the sale he stuck in the bigger calipers with the rest of the spares that came with the car, only welding that needs done is the inner wheel arches behind the suspension mounts, not structural and I forced the holes šŸ˜‚ if I didnā€™t touch them Iā€™d have got a good few years before touching it

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
Something tells me from the picture the four shocks are knackered , they compress down but donā€™t go back up, that would explain near loosing my fillings when driving, got the KYB self adjusters as the best of both worlds, was gonna get GAZ adjustable shocks but itā€™s not a track car so would be a waste,

Test fitted the Wolfrace wheels and sadly Iā€™ll have to run the black wheel arches, I donā€™t mind I like minis with and without them

Once inner front wheel arches are welded Iā€™ll have the front painted and built up ready for mot, canā€™t wait to drive it, Car is still in the air in last picture, sits a lot lower when on the ground.
IMG_7847.jpeg
IMG_7848.jpeg
IMG_7849.jpeg
IMG_7850.jpeg

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
Quick update, welding all completed, didnā€™t need much, got the whole floor , sills and front arches painted the right color of red , new suspension mounts and bolts and car finally down with new wheels on, Iā€™ll take it a drive tomorrow and get the suspension to settle, test fitting the wheel arches, I wonā€™t stick them on until the car has had a full detail on the paint, slowly getting it perfect for the road

IMG_8094.jpeg
IMG_8095.jpeg
IMG_8101.jpeg
IMG_8103.jpeg

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Needs the cooper rimā€™s banded for ascetics imo šŸ˜‰ still a cool we car Iā€™m just the wrong side of 17st to enjoy one šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
@southsky sunrise they are in the shopping list šŸ˜‰ the beauty of this car is I can change it around , Iā€™ll be doing the same with the Supra, have plenty of options for what look to go with šŸ˜Ž

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
@Tufty so many people donā€™t know the history of Paddy Hopkirk, Iā€™ve always known about him but then I am a rally man lol

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
That thing is class, brilliant project for daddy and daughter! The first run out for an ice cream in that will be a special day for you both.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@Tufty so many people donā€™t know the history of Paddy Hopkirk, Iā€™ve always known about him but then I am a rally man lol

You are correct not many do.

HIs son Paddy Junior works for McGard and has no interest in cars or rallying at all i find this weird due his Dad's history in the sport. However some of the stories he told me about his Dad were cool he achieved a lot in life.

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
@Tufty I always seen his daddy at the NEC Motorsport show in Birmingham at the mcgard stall, I have been educating the people who donā€™t know who he is then the old people start educating me about him šŸ˜‚

Washed the truck today and brought the mini out for a bath considering itā€™s covered in isopon dust from me working on the supra bumpers, Autobrite Snow Foam cleans it up very well, sadly didnā€™t have time today to get started on the deep detail on the paintwork but itā€™s now clean and sitting well in the garage ( engine didnā€™t like the wash ) šŸ˜‚

Ps drove over one arch and broke it in half, thatā€™s the decision made to buy four new ones
IMG_8141.jpeg
IMG_8140.jpeg
IMG_8143.jpeg
IMG_8142.jpeg

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Set of pressed plates or retro style would finish that off nicely, those are too modern imo

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
It had pressed plates on when I bought it but one was broke in half and the other damaged taking it off, new plates are for mot as itā€™s a 1995 car and Iā€™m not sure on the legality of them, I will get fresh ones made up around March next year šŸ˜‰

I also still have the headlamp covers with leather strap, I donā€™t want to be drilling anymore holes so getting thin magnets to hold them on, they were originally stuck on with double sided tape which wasnā€™t a nice finish

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Ive pressed plates from ebay on my 03 daily and they MOT no bother. Just have to have BS stamps etc.

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
Car is finally ready for mot, been working away over the last few months

Took the rear shelf out and re died the carpet, painted the speaker grills and itā€™s looking tidy at the minute

Replaced a few sensors around the engine to get it running right but itā€™s still over fueling so good chance it might need a lambda sensor, Iā€™ll get it on a computer before I spend any more money,

Heater matrix decided to leak out its little pipes, two screws and matrix was in my hand, new connectors and she is good to go

Fuel filter used to be held on with a cable tie, it now has a fresh filter and a cool bracket, took the rear bumper off and rubbed it down then gave it fresh paint followed by loads of polish to hopefully stop any unwanted rust

Car runs and drives great, after driving over the old wheel arches I got new ones and took my time painting them with a heat gun to help, they turned out alright,

Iā€™m in the process of fitting a AEM wideband guage that I have decorating my garage, once motd Iā€™ll finally have it out to all the car shows

Took it a few local test drives and everytime I stop people are taking pictures, no harm but you canā€™t look cool at 5ā€™ 9ā€ in a mini lol I look like an idiot šŸ˜‚

Monte Carlo magnetic signs away to get replicated into sticker form so they donā€™t blow off
IMG_8485.jpeg
IMG_8486.jpeg
IMG_8487.jpeg
IMG_8865.jpeg
IMG_8864.jpeg
IMG_8975.jpeg
IMG_8981.jpeg
IMG_9014.jpeg
IMG_9013.jpeg

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
Went to CC mini mechanic outside Moira to get it on a computer to see why itā€™s over fueling, said all sensors and everything is perfect and recommended taking the Pipercross filter off and going back to stock as itā€™s drawing too much air , temp repair with an election poster to restrict the air flow and straight away car runs perfect , spark plugs no longer black and car not conking out when coming to a stop, now on the hunt for a standard air box with K&N filter , even the exhaust has got louder and sounds unreal,

MOT time šŸ˜Ž

Both the mini and evo are 1995, some difference
bea398f5-3e8d-4222-8f51-e77ea0ed6095.jpeg
761ee807-165d-46d7-984a-8ae90f067ef7.jpeg
209b0c87-ef0a-49e6-abbf-aaf1721b56ae.jpeg
421e2d76-95c2-4e35-a57c-5ba9687d4d65.jpeg

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
that's a very cool project, and great in include the daughter.......... both my girls are slowly showing some interest in 4 wheels, and like yours.... enjoy the SIM too........ i'm tempted to get them a cheap toy to maybe start to explore on track in the next few months if i can get the time..

Darragh

RMS Regular
OP
Darragh
Drives
Supra TT6
@gixermark my wee girl is a proper princess who is slowly getting into cars ( she has no option as I have motorsport on all the time and never shut up about cars lol ) the day I lifted her from school she said she was super happy and was beaming the whole way home, the look on her face makes it worth it, Iā€™ve already got her using the Milwaukee gun and started showing how to jack the car up and change the wheels, delighted she isnā€™t a tom boy but you can have a princess daughter than can fix her own car šŸ˜Ž