Mk1 Octavia Vrs Wagon

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
Bit of an update, Timing belt and water pump changed few weeks back along with pollen filter.

Just got new front pads and discs delivered (mintex and brembo) which I'll fit along with full service next week.

Been using the car more lately, along with mx5 when not kids need taxi'd about as my Passat burst it's rad and awaiting repair.

Spirited run up to Ballymoney saw it return 38mpg and car drove like a dream. Smooth and punchy when needed.

Maybe a bit wallowy in corners but still on the original 19 year old suspension so to be expected. New bilsten shocks and springs along with white line rarb would transform it.

IMG_20221006_184130.jpg

Last edited:

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Found a pick of the old silver one with 17s and coilovers
View attachment 347359
Pretty sure this one is now mine? It failed MOT because every shock and spring was hanging out of it. I bought a new set of cheapy coilovers, just absolutely dreading lying down in the driveway fitting them.

Anyone local to Lurgan able to throw a set of coilovers into this for me?

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
Pretty sure this one is now mine? It failed MOT because every shock and spring was hanging out of it. I bought a new set of cheapy coilovers, just absolutely dreading lying down in the driveway fitting them.

Anyone local to Lurgan able to throw a set of coilovers into this for me?
Yea could be. 53 reg?

i would avoid cheap coilovers though and throw in some decent shocks and Vogtland springs tbh

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Yep!

The car is absolutely not worth decent shocks and Vogtland springs. It's getting the cheapest coilovers possible to get it through MOT

Don’t know if saloon / estate ones are the same, but I have a full set of standard shocks & springs which came out of a 50k mile saloon sitting in the garage if you wanted to make me an offer for them?

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Don’t know if saloon / estate ones are the same, but I have a full set of standard shocks & springs which came out of a 50k mile saloon sitting in the garage if you wanted to make me an offer for them?
I think they're slightly different, but thanks! I've already bought the coilovers anyway, have them sitting here!

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
Front brakes serviced. In fairness the discs and pads where like new in terms of thickness but was annoying when the rears are new.

Off with the old
IMG_20221014_102712.jpg

IMG_20221014_104615.jpg

Of course nothing ever goes to plan... Caliper sliding bolt thread gone (not guilty) luckily had a spare carrier and bolt from previous Vrs I broke for parts for my MK2 golf project.

IMG_20221014_113042.jpg

Other side, disc retaining screw snapped off (again not guilty) spent the time drilling it out and not damaging the hub to realised I didn't have the right size screws anyway :rolleyes:

IMG_20221014_135106.jpg

Then onto the fun engine service. Not much to report. Did you even service it if you didn't take a "service kit on the engine" photo?

Previous owner serviced it just after the sale fell through the first time, and the oil looked nice tbh. Sump off and pickup cleaned too.
IMG_20221014_142459.jpg

Last edited: