Mk2 Jetta GL

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
OK so here's the jetta after quick wash and new wheels thrown on... and honestly, thus car makes me smile more than ever could have imagined some old random family saloon from 30 years ago would!

Ps, don't suppose anybody has some spare Coilover wrenchs/C cooks/Hook wrenches/whatever you wana call them???

Attachments

• 20210327_181041.jpg
    20210327_181041.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 20210327_181122.jpg
    20210327_181122.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 20210327_181032.jpg
    20210327_181032.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 167

Chris0

RMS Regular
First ever modification I bought was a set of snowflakes from Bangor. Where it all started lol

Looks well with then on though! I might have a C spanner but I think there could be different sized ones depending on coilovers. If not use a big pair of adjustable pliers and wrap a pair of gloves around the collar

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
First ever modification I bought was a set of snowflakes 2from Bangor. Where it all started lol

Looks well with then on though! I might have a C spanner but I think there could be different sized ones depending on coilovers. If not use a big pair of adjustable pliers and wrap a pair of gloves around the collar
I once considered a set of Edition 35 "snowflake" wheels for my Mk6 GTI.... yet these ones make me sooo much happier lol

Had a nosey at a few alternative ways to adjust them without the spanners, ill let yous all know how it goes... grips, gloves, flathead and hammers at the ready..

eamon343

RMS Regular
That looks great, ive never been a fan of those wheels (sorry @vw1500) but they look great on that.

I think i have a gearbox from an 89 scirocco if you need a 5 speed.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
That looks great, ive never been a fan of those wheels (sorry @vw1500) but they look great on that.

I think i have a gearbox from an 89 scirocco if you need a 5 speed.
Seeing as you've no taste when it comes to wheels I'll take that as a compliment šŸ˜œ
OK so here's the jetta after quick wash and new wheels thrown on... and honestly, thus car makes me smile more than ever could have imagined some old random family saloon from 30 years ago would!

Ps, don't suppose anybody has some spare Coilover wrenchs/C cooks/Hook wrenches/whatever you wana call them???
Looks well, nice reg on that too :cool:

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Looks great on those snowflakes! Like a factory option car fresh out of the showroom in 1991! šŸ‘Œ
Thanks

Straight outa agnews at mallusk if anybody asks ;) it still has the dealer sticker on the back window to prove it lol

Also, its first owner was Mr Isaac Agnew himself according to the customer survey that's among the paperwork :grinning:

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Strange it's an FBZ plate if came from Mallusk, owner must have lived in Co.Down. I'd a 91 VW from there and was a KDZ plate, actually still had "Mallusk" written in chalk behind the rear plate when I took it off! I'm sad and think things like that are cool lol

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Strange it's an FBZ plate if came from Mallusk, owner must have lived in Co.Down. I'd a 91 VW from there and was a KDZ plate, actually still had "Mallusk" written in chalk behind the rear plate when I took it off! I'm sad and think things like that are cool lol
Well, that's makes two of us then because history and stuff is pretty cool to me too. I even went on ebay to find an old jetta keyring to go on the bunch, sad, but oh so satisfying lol

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
OK so another update,

I fully stripped the interior! ripped out seats, headliner, carpet and door cards all for a good power wash and wet vac. Turned out pretty great, pics will follow. Put down new Dodo insulation as the original stuff that was there was rotten and thankfully didn't cause any rot, the floor is solid!!

Antway, I got few bits of trim inside and outside replaced, new badging, clear indicators etc. Headliner will be tackled soon, I hope. Have the material and foam, just no time lol

however, after pulling it apart found some rust spots I can tackle myself, I've already sorted to bubbling strip of metal on the grill.. but, in all honesty, I think this car deserves a proper job, I'm besotted by it!

So now the question of, paint...

who, where, what sort of job and how much we talking?!?

It's had a dodgy paint job in the past so I'm thinking the whole thing may need redone.

Belfast area be ideal.

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Few pics of, well, just random pics.. also, when I got the car it had paperwork for a cassette player the first owner had installed, a Panasonic K01.

I found one on ebay for Ā£30 and its on its way!

Delighted with that lol

Attachments

• 20210409_152028.jpg
    20210409_152028.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210409_152046.jpg
    20210409_152046.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210404_112307.jpg
    20210404_112307.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210322_214502.jpg
    20210322_214502.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210326_172111.jpg
    20210326_172111.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20210403-214259_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-214259_eBay.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 102

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
OK so the car is full MOT prepped :grinning:

New brake pads, oil, coolant, filters, spark plugs, tyres are hardly even worn in, timing belt sorted... and absolutely everything aside from the rev counter works.

Now the crap part....

I just wana drive the damn thing but have to wait until the 20th for it to be road legal! I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas to arrive!! lol

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
OK so the car is full MOT prepped :grinning:

New brake pads, oil, coolant, filters, spark plugs, tyres are hardly even worn in, timing belt sorted... and absolutely everything aside from the rev counter works.

Now the crap part....

I just wana drive the damn thing but have to wait until the 20th for it to be road legal! I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas to arrive!! lol
Try ringing every daya nd you might get a last minute test............. although suppose it's only a week away

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Try ringing every daya nd you might get a last minute test............. although suppose it's only a week away
I've got work and family commitments otherwise I'd be harassing them first thing in the morning lol

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Nice wee Jetta.

What will be the testers view on the placement of the front number plate screws? Maybe swop them for black ones?

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Oh, well spotted... didn't even think of that! few black self tappers will fix that, thanks for the observation buddy!
Nice wee Jetta.

What will be the testers view on the placement of the front number plate screws? Maybe swop them for black ones?

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
MOT update!!

It failed :worried:

Buuuut in fairness, it was its first MOT in years so I'm pretty impressed it only has a small hole in the passenger footwell, next to the jacking point... (why some people even use Jack's if they don't know where to put them baffles me)

Anyway, a quick fix by somebody handy with a welder and that's her road worthy, soon..

Attachments

• 20210420_150859.jpg
    20210420_150859.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210420_170205.jpg
    20210420_170205.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 115

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
This is awesome for its age.

Its nice to see some older stuff on here and its also nice that your loving it as well. I have said for many years now that I will have my Golf done for summer but this year it will be its been ten years to many now.

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
This is awesome for its age.

Its nice to see some older stuff on here and its also nice that your loving it as well. I have said for many years now that I will have my Golf done for summer but this year it will be its been ten years to many now.

Fingers crossed you get it done one summer soon! If not, sure you can make a fortune on ebay in spares.. the prices of some bit of trim etc is pure silly! Lol

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
@VolksWilma everything is going mad at the minute the price of some bits are crazy as you say if you have a few bits kicking about you would make a fortune.
Funniest one I seen was 2 little door locking pin surrounds, 20 quid for the smallest pieces of plastic ever! Lol