MK3 Megane RS250

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Finally getting round to making a thread on this. Took a strong notion towards the end of last year, to change to car, so the GTI went and this was its replacement. I'll admit that I'd never looked too closely and this gen of RS, but they had a great reputation and I thought I'll give it a try.

The spec is as follows;

RS 250 Lux in Capsicum red (same shade as the clio trophy). Non cup car I think but has the RS monitor, visibility pack (bi-xenons, parking sensors) and the anthracite ID paint options for the front,mirrors and diffuser). A previous owner must have swapped the 18's for 19's at a time as well.

Initial impressions are you could see why they are a well regarded car, with plenty of shove and great grip! Car has 97k on the clock and is by no means perfect, bit I like to breath a bit of life back into a car!

IMG-20230922-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20230922-WA0001.jpeg

First wash
20240106_110631.jpg
20240106_110654.jpg

Shortly after collection I took the car to Bells for belts and changed some of the suspension items, LH hub carrier, wishbone etc. This improved the car greatly as the steering was very twitchy when I got the car (although I'd say there us still an issue somewhere as still a floatiness to steering and motorway speeds). But for now it's manageable. As you can see I got lucky with the belt!

received_310577601579481.jpeg

Next job was a wheel refurb, went with an Alfa Romeo grey instead of back to black. Very pleased with the job the guys at Powdertek done,would recommend.

20240122_161637.jpg
20230913_151343.jpg

20240126_124557.jpg

Future plans are hopefully;

Sort out the steering issue

Get the car fully detailed

Enjoy it!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Love that, the Mk3 Megane RS is one of the cars I've always looked at when searching for a new car, yet never actually owned one yet!

Great colour that as well, can't say I've seen one in that red before!

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
OP
stuartyvilla
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
That is a lovely looking car, is it lowered? It sits so well
As far as I can tell its not,but I noticed yesterday my rear drivers side is sitting a bit lower than the rest of the car, so yes, one corner is lower than the rest 😂
Love that, the Mk3 Megane RS is one of the cars I've always looked at when searching for a new car, yet never actually owned one yet!

Great colour that as well, can't say I've seen one in that red before!

I was the same, always overlooked them, but for out of the box performance, they are very capable, even a lowly Lux pack like mine. A 265 trophy and 275 must be a riot to drive. The colour seems to be relatively uncommon , and with the grey front instead of the usual black, I liked it for being different, definitely needs a detail though. 😀

Gambit

RMS Regular
pictures never really do these cars justice on just how well they sit, anytime I see them alway surprised with just how wide they are, just looks so purposeful

Hard to believe that belt condition in this day and age!! Looked like it had been slightly rubbing?

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
OP
stuartyvilla
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
pictures never really do these cars justice on just how well they sit, anytime I see them alway surprised with just how wide they are, just looks so purposeful

Hard to believe that belt condition in this day and age!! Looked like it had been slightly rubbing?

Completely agree regarding looks, certain angles from the front, very aggressive, the rear not so much! The belt did surprise me, as the weekend before I got it done I was horsing it around rightly (new toy syndrome😂)

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
Big softie for an RS Renault. Still think they always nail the seats in every generation. HTD

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
OP
stuartyvilla
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Not much of an update, but managed to get on top of the steering issue. So after an alignment making no difference, I took it to a local fella to me who I learnt afterwards had one before, to have a look.

To my embarrassment he said that the car was running 225 tyres at the front and 235s at the rear, and should have been one or the other... So straight away I got uniroyal rainstorm 5s in 235 section fitted And it transformed the steering of the car! Far happier with how the car drove.

@big_pete has a good eye as well, when the wheels were off I realised the car is on h&r springs, so 30mm lower than standard. I managed to get it washed and a few better pics of the car with the refurbed wheels on it.

20240324_174252.jpg
20240324_174303.jpg

20240324_174424.jpg
20240324_174328.jpg

renman8957

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane RS250
Get the resonator out, definitely makes it sound better. Loved the handling of my RS250, go-kart. Enjoy!