BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Nice...

IMG_20220620_140508.jpg

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Happy days, I was going to suggest PRE rods. Great company to deal with.

Regarding a larger turbo, if you go that route. Littco do a L280, straight bolt on fit as I ran one on my Polo GTI. Same frame as the Ko3/s you have šŸ˜Ž

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
That's the bottom end off to Byre engineering in Dundrod for whatever work it needs.

Started cleaning the engine bay and it's pretty good, some corrosion but not much..

IMG_20220627_115939.jpg

Underseal removal has also commenced, pig of a job..

IMG_20220627_115854.jpg

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Haven't had time to do much more lately but we've been discussing colour and have settled on deep blue pearl. OK it's an R32 colour however originality and OEM isn't what this car is about. It's for my son and what he wants but at the same time I have to agree with his thoughts and decisions.

Did a quick photo edit of an R32 on my phone and put the BBS anni wheels on it to give us a basic idea of what it will look like and we're both happy. Wheels are probably way off proportion of what they'll be in reality but it's close enough for us to make the decision.

Screenshot_20220722_223656_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Haven't had time to do much more lately but we've been discussing colour and have settled on deep blue pearl. OK it's an R32 colour however originality and OEM isn't what this car is about. It's for my son and what he wants but at the same time I have to agree with his thoughts and decisions.

Did a quick photo edit of an R32 on my phone and put the BBS anni wheels on it to give us a basic idea of what it will look like and we're both happy. Wheels are probably way off proportion of what they'll be in reality but it's close enough for us to make the decision.

View attachment 369941
I was set to paint it Imola yellow like the Yank versions.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Wheels or Tyres: - bbs rc330 vw alloys

Did you see these for sale? If you use two on the rear it gives a nicer stance and the wider wheel and lower offset fill the rear arch a bit better. Plus then you can sell on your original rears along with the two remaining 8s to some other anni owner for probably more than you will have spent buying those šŸ‘Œ

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Wheels or Tyres: - bbs rc330 vw alloys

Did you see these for sale? If you use two on the rear it gives a nicer stance and the wider wheel and lower offset fill the rear arch a bit better. Plus then you can sell on your original rears along with the two remaining 8s to some other anni owner for probably more than you will have spent buying those šŸ‘Œ
I was toying with them for the Bug. Anni had 20mm H&R spacers on the back.

Lee

RMS Regular
Deep Blue Pearl would be nice for sure. With the anniversary wheels done in some sort of hyper silver. Something more than normal silver.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Finally up on the rotisserie jig...

IMG_20220914_124557.jpg

I've owned a few mk4's and every one of them has had rot at the rear sills. Not this one...

IMG_20220914_124522.jpg

I've opened up some of the pinch weld points and am surprised to see they are rust free. A couple of areas around the grommets in the rear arches are suffering a bit but nothing a couple of patches won't sort. There was a bad bit on the pinch weld area and floor at the front which is a result of the poor post accident repair that I've cut out and made a section up for. Just need to weld it in.

Last edited:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Good to see it's clean enough underneath, think it's period off the road in dry storage did it some good.

Definitely. I think the side skirts helped protect the sills a bit too. Usually the nearside on these is worse off gathering all the salt and crap from that side of the road but the wheel well around the grommets and bungs is better on the nearside than offside strangely. It's a big positive and none of it is that bad.

The accident repairs are spot on structurally, welds etc are fine bar a couple of pin holes. It was just the protection afterwards that let it down and it had started to rust. It's only surface rust bar the bit were I've cut out and patched. All the bare metal is getting a few coats of 2 part epoxy mastic which is fantastic stuff and won't let in moisture.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Definitely. I think the side skirts helped protect the sills a bit too. Usually the nearside on these is worse off gathering all the salt and crap from that side of the road but the wheel well around the grommets and bungs is better on the nearside than offside strangely. It's a big positive and none of it is that bad.

The accident repairs are spot on structurally, welds etc are fine bar a couple of pin holes. It was just the protection afterwards that let it down and it had started to rust. It's only surface rust bar the bit were I've cut out and patched. All the bare metal is getting a few coats of 2 part epoxy mastic which is fantastic stuff and won't let in moisture.
Glad to see it coming together, I'm in talks to buy another onešŸ«£

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Screenshot_20220915_122624_com.android.vending.jpg

This. It's ok for a bit of messing around but full of adverts which doesn't annoy me as I would rarely use it.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Work has stalled on this over the winter as taking it back to bare metal and condensation with the cold weather isn't a good thing.

Picked the block up from Byre engineering today. Forged rods fitted, all new bearings, bores honed and new piston rings. Can start building the engine back up now.

IMG_20230202_115537_edit_469011269122180.jpg