Mk4 Golf GTi 1.8T :)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Ok, before I begin I’m starting with a little house keeping as it were.

I’m not getting into a debate or argument as to why I got rid of a working car for a broken one. The only thing I will say on the matter is that this was an opportunity for me to buy my first ever petrol turbo’d car.

End of that discussion.

So on to the car….

Some of you may recognise it and @JH86 was correct seemingly lol, but this is his old Golf which has a seized 1.8T engine.

IMG_4016.jpeg
IMG_3791.jpeg
I had it towed to @Laundrymike ‘s who I bought a 1.8T BAM engine from for this just before the school Easter break and I was under strict orders from the wife (who loves Mk4 Golf’s btw as her first car was a Mk4) not to touch the car until the kids returned to school.

So today started the tear down in preparation for the engine swap:

IMG_4060.jpeg

Near enough ready to lift the engine out at this stage, but parenting duties took over.

Tomorrow I aim to get it into the shed to then lift the engine out :grinning:

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Does the seized engine have the crankcase breather hose intact? Would be this one:

1681918720236.png

I discovered a massive hole in mine this morning that was held together with electrical tape (which one of you was it, @hannakournikova or @southsky sunrise :p). I also might need to snipe some more bits off your seized engine if you're selling/they're good - I'm leaking coolant from somewhere at an alarming rate!

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Does the seized engine have the crankcase breather hose intact? Would be this one:

View attachment 394977

I discovered a massive hole in mine this morning that was held together with electrical tape (which one of you was it, @hannakournikova or @southsky sunrise :p). I also might need to snipe some more bits off your seized engine if you're selling/they're good - I'm leaking coolant from somewhere at an alarming rate!
I’m gonna go with Fred, he’s forever in screwfix for cable ties, sawdust, duct tape , resistors and shake n vac

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE

View attachment 394977

I’ll let you know tomorrow when I’m back up at the shed.

purplea4T

RMS Regular

View attachment 394977

Cheapie ones off Amazon do the job. Buy the full set because you'll need them 🤣🤣
@Blackie let me know what bits you need and I'll look through the spares

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Cheapie ones off Amazon do the job. Buy the full set because you'll need them 🤣🤣
@Blackie let me know what bits you need and I'll look through the spares
Didn't even think of looking on Amazon - just ordered a full set there.

Still @Blackie - when you rip out the old engine don't throw anything out! I will likely need bits :joy:

All the best with the engine swap too, wish I had the skills/space/tools to do something like that

hannakournikova

RMS Regular

View attachment 394977

Not guilty. Pretty sure it went through a brave few sets of hands first

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Wild amount of vacuum, PCV pipes and electrical connections on these. I've a rebuilt 1.8t sitting ready to go in but it's going to be sitting a good while longer.

View attachment 394982
So I’m finding out! Lol. Most of my day was spent disconnecting plugs and pipes and re routing the wiring to make the engine extraction easier lol
Best thing to do with the pcv on the 18t is to **** it all in a bin and run a catch can. Far easier to keep on top of. Gonna do mine in the very near future if I can be arsed.
That’s the plan here mate!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Congrats on your first petrol turbo!
(Better than my first, a 699cc smart fortwo 😂)

Look forward to seeing the progress buddy 🤙

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
That’s why he’s fixing this one out in the yard - so he can’t make a mess on my floor…

Think About It GIF by Identity
but you said we’d push the Golf into the shed tomorrow!!!
I'll let the Waterways Ireland boys down at Loughbeg know to expect a coolant and oil based environmental situation heading their way
IMG_2520.jpeg

👀😂😂😂

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Good to see the strip down started , looking forward to updates, can’t beat a 1.8t in your life, she should be able to get classic insurance too
Hope you get her on road to enjoy over the summer

hannakournikova

RMS Regular

View attachment 394977

when i had it there was a BOV either ^o)

@Blackie presumably your doing the full conversion and no just the engine? turbo, wiring, intercoolers, injectors, exhaust and ECU? then have extra sensors from memory.
surely be a lot easier to just rebuild bottom end (most likely sludge in pickup caused it) not to mention the insurance headaches with an engine conversion declared.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.