Mk5 Golf GTI Radio Upgrade

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
My Mk5 GTI has a standard radio with CD player. Doesn’t have multifunction steering wheel.

Anyone advise on Radio upgrade to get some DAB, USB into car. Would like Bluetooth also but don’t want to be upgrading loads.

Would one of the Chinese units do the job?

@Lyons I know your had two GTIs - any advice?
Thanks

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I always preferred the OEMness of the RNS510 and had the DAB version a couple of times, but really its an absolute fortune for all it does. In later years I just stuck with a Pioneer unit for circa £250 which had DAB, carplay etc. Much more sensible all round.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
OP
Ruairi83
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I always preferred the OEMness of the RNS510 and had the DAB version a couple of times, but really its an absolute fortune for all it does. In later years I just stuck with a Pioneer unit for circa £250 which had DAB, carplay etc. Much more sensible all round.
Cheers Ian, That seems perfect. Don’t want to be spending fortune just want some better functionality and better tunes other than my Ibiza dance 99 CD.

how did yous know what other cables needed? I would probably get Paul to do it!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I just go onto Car Audio Direct and Connects 2 to see the number of the SOT cable thats required and order it. Its dead easy, I've done loads over the years though.

I think I'd look into a MFSW for all the cost of them now.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
OP
Ruairi83
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I just go onto Car Audio Direct and Connects 2 to see the number of the SOT cable thats required and order it. Its dead easy, I've done loads over the years though.

I think I'd look into a MFSW for all the cost of them now.
Perfect just want plug and play and il give it a bash

For Multifuction wheel I though I would have to upgrade BCM or gateway module.

cheers for help.

Boksic

RMS Regular
Cheers Ian, That seems perfect. Don’t want to be spending fortune just want some better functionality and better tunes other than my Ibiza dance 99 CD.

how did yous know what other cables needed? I would probably get Paul to do it!

If you mean Kiss in Ibiza 99, then all you need really is Kiss in Ibiza 98 and you're landed, just make sure to break the aerial off her too so that nobody tries to turn it off on you 👍🏻

A cheap fascia/wiring kit from eBay and near enough any double din touch screen pioneer/sony etc will give you fairly smart looking unit with streaming, usb, iPod etc, and reverse camera optional.

£20 ish double din kit, and keep an eye for a head unit. Pretty sure you're an eBay sniper anyway so you'll find a bargain somewhere.

I got a pioneer one for my xc90, was £120 ish and it's very good, no idea what model it is as the Jeep poo'd it's pants not long after, but you sorta forget how good aftermarket sounds can be when you're used to standard fitment 👍🏻

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
OP
Ruairi83
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
You got any specs on it or link to model etc to make sure it fits.

If you mean Kiss in Ibiza 99, then all you need really is Kiss in Ibiza 98 and you're landed, just make sure to break the aerial off her too so that nobody tries to turn it off on you 👍🏻

A cheap fascia/wiring kit from eBay and near enough any double din touch screen pioneer/sony etc will give you fairly smart looking unit with streaming, usb, iPod etc, and reverse camera optional.

£20 ish double din kit, and keep an eye for a head unit. Pretty sure you're an eBay sniper anyway so you'll find a bargain somewhere.

I got a pioneer one for my xc90, was £120 ish and it's very good, no idea what model it is as the Jeep poo'd it's pants not long after, but you sorta forget how good aftermarket sounds can be when you're used to standard fitment 👍🏻
I made the CD years ago an named it that lol.
Cheers dude, good info and I’ve a few items in watch list. 👍🏻

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
I wouldn’t get a Chinese one again. Functionality stopped bit by bit over the course of a year left with just radio working in the end might as well kept the MFD2

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
OP
Ruairi83
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I wouldn’t get a Chinese one again. Functionality stopped bit by bit over the course of a year left with just radio working in the end might as well kept the MFD2
Good man cheers. I think Lyons and Boksic are right about a pioneer or Sony. Reviews for Chinese ones are all over the place.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
I went for an RCD330 which is an official vw unit produced for the Chinese market where cars built on the mk5 platform are still sold.

only downside to it was the fm radio didn’t have RDS but didn’t bother me as I only ever used CarPlay.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
There’s also a ‘new’ one called the RCD350 but avoid it. It’s a hacked together unit and isn’t a proper OEM unit like the RCD330.

For the RCD330 you need an adapter for steering wheel controls but not an issue here. You’ll need to update your canbus gateway too. I had to buy an adapter as well for the aerial to get AM radio to work.

I think it’s a great all round unit, just make sure to buy the right version as mentioned as some have CarPlay only and others have CarPlay, android auto and mirrorlink.

Bar no RDS the unit has a lot going for it. Bluetooth, USB input, aux and smartphone integration for maps. OEM looks since it’s an OEM unit.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
OP
Ruairi83
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
There’s also a ‘new’ one called the RCD350 but avoid it. It’s a hacked together unit and isn’t a proper OEM unit like the RCD330.

For the RCD330 you need an adapter for steering wheel controls but not an issue here. You’ll need to update your canbus gateway too. I had to buy an adapter as well for the aerial to get AM radio to work.

I think it’s a great all round unit, just make sure to buy the right version as mentioned as some have CarPlay only and others have CarPlay, android auto and mirrorlink.

Bar no RDS the unit has a lot going for it. Bluetooth, USB input, aux and smartphone integration for maps. OEM looks since it’s an OEM unit.
Found a VW RNS 310 SAT NAV, CODE + GPS ANTENNA + MAPS

at good price. Are these a straight fit or a lot of messing into the GTi? I haven’t got multifunction steering wheel.
@Lyons

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What age is your car? If pre late 07 you might need the can gateway upgraded, I can’t quite remember if that applies to the 310 or just 510’s after rev B.