• 1714493481985.png
    1714493481985.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wonder how that will work with imports. Mine's registered 2024.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Booked last week for 15th June in Lisburn for the forester. May get my finger out and see what's needed for it

davyk31

RMS Regular
It’s now even that. It’s pretty specific dates of registration in that year obviously chosen to make sure cars have their first MOT then miss a year. Essentially biannual which seems the plan for the future to a certain age.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I don’t mind the idea of biannual mots but too many people in this country won’t maintain their cars until mot.

My sister in law is the perfect example car only goes into the garage when it’s broken. She actually drove her passat with fuel pissing out of the hp fuel pump for so long it caused the timing belt to snap due to fuel contamination.

My wife used to huff and puff at me spending money on the car until I sat her down and explained to her it’s not worth crashing/dying over a few quid and how ignoring a small problem can lead to big money problems.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The temporary exemptions will apply to private cars first registered between 1 June 2019 and 31 May 2020 or between 1 June 2017 and 31 May 2018, which have a valid MOT certificate issued by the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA).

Vehicle licensing information shows that around 115,000 cars may be eligible for a TEC. The TECs will come into effect from 1 June 2024 and will be automatically processed by the DVA.

This allows motorists to continue to legally drive their vehicles as long as they are roadworthy and are taxed and insured.

The Minister has also confirmed he will consider launching a public consultation on Biennial MOT testing (testing every two years for private cars, light goods vehicles under 3,500kg and motorcycles), subject to resources being available across the Department.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Every two years makes sense. Plenty countries have no test at all and rely on policing to catch the dodgy unroadworthy cars. Yes there’s some about but not as bad as everyone makes out.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
One of the biggest day to day issues is the amount of bald tyres around. Its fairly common when stopped at the lights to see a bald tyre on a car beside you. Given the changeable weather here, its got to be a factor in accidents here and they are the most obvious wear item.
That's where the lack of a yearly test might be an issue.

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
So who pays for the exemptions? I'd love a free years MOT on my meticulously maintained older vehicle that falls outside of the dates proposed.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Every two years makes sense. Plenty countries have no test at all and rely on policing to catch the dodgy unroadworthy cars. Yes there’s some about but not as bad as everyone makes out.
That works where you’ve an adequately funded police force who have an effective traffic branch. We do not.

Dan

RMS Regular
Happy days, that means my car is exempt. My wife misses it by one day!

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I could solve the mot crisis in 30 seconds , give the examiner a basic wage and every car comes in an out they get a fiver pass or fail. End of the backlogs 😂

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That works where you’ve an adequately funded police force who have an effective traffic branch. We do not.

The point is not that we do away with the MOT altogether. No one is suggesting that. The point is that a MOT every two years isn't all of a sudden going to massively raise the risk profile. Aren't they doing every other year MOT's in ROI? What's their stats show for mechanical failure being the primary cause of an accident?

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
The point is not that we do away with the MOT altogether. No one is suggesting that. The point is that a MOT every two years isn't all of a sudden going to massively raise the risk profile. Aren't they doing every other year MOT's in ROI? What's their stats show for mechanical failure being the primary cause of an accident?
The two year mot in the south seems to work well bar the ropey ones on the road regardless , I can’t see it being a problem here and tbh I think it’s a good idea , maybe not PSv though as that’s a different ball game

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
A fella in work told me today he knows someone who’s an examiner. He’s working his basic 4 day week and has been putting in for overtime and isn’t getting any 🤷

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
At no point did I suggest that either. My point is relying on the police to fill the gap that’ll be created here isn’t going to work when we only have 12 dedicated traffic branch cars in the entire country. Of course non traffic branch cars can enforce road worthiness checks, it’s fairly unlikely on an already stretched and under resourced force.

I’d imagine the primary cause of accidents is the same as it is here, driver error.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It’s funny how they claim to be utterly swamped and inundated with a backlog, and that they are “working round the clock”, yet the last 5 or 6 trips that I’ve made to MOT centres this past year have been to fairly empty buildings with more staff than cars being examined…

They can’t all be no shows or missed appointments.

The entire system has been an epic fail since Maha Lift Gate 2020 or whenever it was.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
At no point did I suggest that either. My point is relying on the police to fill the gap that’ll be created here isn’t going to work when we only have 12 dedicated traffic branch cars in the entire country. Of course non traffic branch cars can enforce road worthiness checks, it’s fairly unlikely on an already stretched and under resourced force.

I’d imagine the primary cause of accidents is the same as it is here, driver error.

No one is proposing that the police step in to fill the void. That was merely an illustration of how other countries address the issue in extreme cases. The proposal is every other year.

The main culprit is driver error, yet there's a notable absence of routine driver testing. It seems misguided to prioritise trivial faults such as headlight washers or a lack of KPH readouts at MOT centers, when the root cause of accidents is primarily driver error.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
It’s funny how they claim to be utterly swamped and inundated with a backlog, and that they are “working round the clock”, yet the last 5 or 6 trips that I’ve made to MOT centres this past year have been to fairly empty buildings with more staff than cars being examined…

They can’t all be no shows or missed appointments.

The entire system has been an epic fail since Maha Lift Gate 2020 or whenever it was.
It’s weird you say that , Lisburn was crazy busy when I went there but I did Craigavon and mallusk and esp the mallusk one, 6 maybe testing an only two of us with cars

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
No one is proposing that the police step in to fill the void. That was merely an illustration of how other countries address the issue in extreme cases. The proposal is every other year.

The main culprit is driver error, yet there's a notable absence of routine driver testing. It seems misguided to prioritise trivial faults such as headlight washers or a lack of KPH readouts at MOT centers, when the root cause of accidents is primarily driver error.
You’ll get no argument from me if we were to increase driver testing.

On headlight washers or KPH readouts, that’s a tiny minority of fails, especially the latter which is incredibly niche. It’s not prioritising trivial faults, it’s fairly basic problems that make up the majority of fails (lights, brakes, suspension and tyres). No one should be failing on lights or tyres if they’ve any brain.

2 yearly testing is a lowering of standards fundamentally and I can’t get behind that. I’d rather we opened it up to private garages if it came to it.

Now saying all that, I do appreciate that your MoT is only really valid on the day it's issued.

RevT

RMS Regular
You’ll get no argument from me if we were to increase driver testing.

On headlight washers or KPH readouts, that’s a tiny minority of fails, especially the latter which is incredibly niche. It’s not prioritising trivial faults, it’s fairly basic problems that make up the majority of fails (lights, brakes, suspension and tyres). No one should be failing on lights or tyres if they’ve any brain.

2 yearly testing is a lowering of standards fundamentally and I can’t get behind that. I’d rather we opened it up to private garages if it came to it.

Now saying all that, I do appreciate that your MoT is only really valid on the day it's issued.

Private garages would be a sh*tshow over here!