Mot, Taxing and Re-reging a bike

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cookie Munster

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo / Forza
Hi all

Trying to put a bike back on the road and have a few queries I need answered. Bike was a jap import and given English plates back in 93 when brought into the UK. Since I will be the first owner of the bike in NI, will I still have the chance to get a NI plate for it?

Do I have to tax the bike, or can I just re-register the bike in my name to get the new plate?

If I have to tax it to get the plate, what happens as to the mot as this would have been got under the old plate?

Cheers
CM

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
the chances are you will need an mot first
the reg it has english or ni will be kept unless u request a new one but if your wanting to tax it ull need the insurance with u so best to insure it mot it then go to the tax office and fill in a v10
thats what i did with my bike as it was reg up here then went down south ... bar mot as it didnt need it

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
As Ross says, when you go to tax it here for the first time you will then have the option to pick an NI reg or retain the GB one, you can only get the new reg when taxing just to make it clear :grinning:

The MOT is grand on the old reg as there will be a paper trail of it being MOT'd under the previous reg if there is an enquiry :grinning:

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
also when u ask for a reg change you send the mot certificate away with it and the v5 with the tax disc all to be changed and will receive them all with the new reg and a certificate to show its had a new reg from the old one.. then just tell insurance to change the reg of your vehilce and hope they dont charge a £50 fee like mine does every time i phone to change something ffs lol

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Aye thats if you want a personal plate put on, you dont have to do that with just standard re-registering :confounded:

If you're really worried about MOT disc the DVTA centre near you can supply a new one for a tenner or something if you show them the documentation of your V5 etc :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.