motorbike suggestions please

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

scoobyman

RMS Regular
Drives
skyline
I like this, but I dont think a black bike, given the fact that a lot of road users wont see you, would be the way to go, especially with a 1st bike........BTW Im in your position at the minute too, bandit, or CBR-F seem good all-rounders. Am thinking of an RS 125 to get me doing a few more miles in the short term though.
dont buy a 125 (n)

Hel

RMS Regular
Black bike or not, they wont see you. Stick a loud can on it and make sure youve your headlight on if its not on automatically. Ride defensively and treat every car as if they havent seen you or are murderers and might you stand a chance ;-)

Hel

RMS Regular
Id say the same. High residuals due to the learner market, poor reliability in the most part and very light on their wheels so side winds become an absolute ballix. Much better off with a bit more CC to get you out of harms way should you need it too.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Great feedback guys thanks :grinning:

Think I have to get a few more quotes and see the difference.

Defo like the idea of a cbr600f for a practical first bike.

I wouldn't be buying a 125cc either if your in my position, could you really be annoyed with the hassle of selling few months toasted bad weather just cuz you've the test and want a bigger bike, hold out and get a 600 IMO (y)

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
hey guys finally getting ready to do my test, cbt and theory done few lessons lined up and once the vrs sells im gona buy a bike and keep the extra cash for insurance etc.

im only wanting to spend around £2.5 max for the bike give or take.

ive always liked the GSXR 600cc. in the blue/white color even if its k4 model (still learning) but would it be good for daily use? not overly keen on the looks of hornets/bandits/fazers etc very dated looking IMO

the bike is gona be a weekend toy at first then possibly by daily transport once the misses starts driving the 307 i got her once she starts driving.

-what bikes you recommend?
-which is a better/more reilable bike?

cheers Joe

I was in your position this time last year. I bought a wee GS500 suzuki and used it for a few weeks before getting bored and buying an R6.
Now if you really really want a supersport bike then go for it, but you are sacrificing a lot of ridability for looks and power IMO.
Its a constant battle to stop your right hand from stretching the throttle cables, and to have any real fun on one you need to be doing silly speeds.
You can commute and tour on them, but its far from ideal. Though the bonus is you can do trackdays if thats your thing.

I do love my R6 but ive considered selling it a load of times to get a decent sit-up bike, because they are far more suited to road riding. The only reason I still have it is for show really, I love the looks it gets and love riding with my mates on other sports bikes.

Im amazed at how much I still enjoy riding the GS500 even though its nowhere near as fast, because I can have way more fun getting it cranked over round corners and riding hard without doing scary speeds.

As for the 600f honda, my mate got one the same time I got my R6 and I have rode it quite a bit and to be honest, yes it is a bit more comfortable but its every bit as fast and begs to be revved hard. Also not as manoeverable as a sit-up bike round city streets and tight bends.

If I was in your shoes again I would definetly be looking at a 600 Bandit, or for something a bit more modern a Kawasaki ER6. But whatever you get make sure you are 100% happy that you are able to live with it. What I mean is, you can make the sensible choice but if you spend the next year or two wishing you had bought a Supersport bike then you would have probably just been better off getting one.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I've my eye on a 400. And hopefully have it at the end of August. I can insure 400 zxr's and vfr's for about £350-500 fully comp. 23. 6points. No NCB. Apart from hannahkournakivas vfr its sky high!

moglie

RMS Regular
Im really really thinking of getting something like a kawasaki er6n. Anyone ever had one or can give any insight into what they'd be like as a commuter and something for a bit of a blast at the weekends etc

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343420238.767064.jpg

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
My traders policy allows two bikes up to 750cc. Think I'am gona hold off to I get my test for a 600 or 400.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Bandit, comfortable compared to gsxr or vfr, has a nice more upright position and can be bought for cheap enough, 2.5k on a first bike is madness, drop her once and shes worth a grand

arewethereyet

RMS Regular
a "clean" er6 gets my vote , quick wee bike with sports capability but semi-tour looks.
top box on it for the commute and off for the weekend warrior.
"well" lower in price as its a kawasaki, , it just is.
but there's a few very clean examples out there.

don't see them up for sale often, they seem to be the next generation replacement for the all rounder pre-03 600 fazer.

best wee bike, i'v seen in the right hands really pushing the 1000+ cc bikes

get your test, sit back and watch for the right bike,,
there's plenty to choose fom, and heading for the winter and christmas, and bikes being a year older, people will change.

meanwhile your restricted riding time is ticking away. :grinning:

here's an 09 for "well the way its advertised" it will go down to 3k,
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/kawasaki-er6-2009/108606177

07-08 for your money, or push the boat out,
best in blue i.m.o.

arewethereyet

RMS Regular
nothing wrong with a 125,, gets you the feel of the road, and if you haven't got the power , you won't be as careless.

seen many newbies skid past me caus they didn't judge the road junction or the road ahead properly, none of them on a 125,, all bell ends on 600's.
then ride restricted 600 for a year.
then unrestricted.

i learned on a 250 old school. not much different to modern 125's now.
get a year under your belt at any age,on a 125., , experience is learning,,,
i'd rather have been slagged than be a statistic in a morgue for the RUC

i fe k in hate biker funerals.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
hate bike funerals also. have noticed alot of dumbasses out on them. ive rode a bike from knee high so i completly understand some ppl havent which makes sense not to let them near a "wee" 600 lol

arewethereyet

RMS Regular
agreed dross432, learned in a field with an ap50 on road rubber,, no helmet or anything,, after a few offs it was full kit and a kx125.
best way to gain knowledge of stopping is in a field.
i'd say you've been down the grass route. (y)

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
ooo yess yam peewee 50. matagutti 60. kx 90. xlr 125 then onto kx125. deff best place to build skills wet grassy field lol... also done alot of dh mtbing lol

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Thankfully i do have a year riding experience on a 125cc it did give me some experience and made me want more power and something thats looks better, plus its cheaper to run than a "fast" car

ive been on holiday and moving house so everything been put on hold the last month, need to get the finger out again!

slag

RMS Regular
The likes of GS500 will bore you to death after a few weeks IMO.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
hey guys sorry to bring up an old post :grinning:

i had a few things come up and with the law change etc etc test was put back.

NOW... ive done my cbt 600cc, theory, passed my off road manovers test last week and have my on-road test booked for under 2 weeks away.

was out at belfast honda yesterday to get a feel of selection of bikes available... still not sure. still like the idea of GSXR/R6/NINJA etc ride a friends ninja 600 for a short bit (private grounds off course ;) ) and thought it was grand, the bikes only a weekend toy and wont be going long journeys constantly.

my £2.5k budget has changed... as ive a wedding and mortgage to save for next year and the woman is complaining enough im spending anything when all money should be going into savings loll

im looking something around £1000-£1300, something with not much more than 20k miles but hoping alot less and is MOT.d and prefer taxed lol

gumtree and autotrader isnt great, anyone know anything for sale or recommend one?

cheers, Joe

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Oo dear the women is controling your purchasing already. On her bday i bought myself a 2010 blade sooooo she was abit annoyed but sure lol

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Ur gona need 2k at least to get something near that spec. Keep an eye out for sv650 hornet fazer etc. There gona be near half the price to insure as a race rep unless your wanting to spend more for a rr and abit more on insurance..... dont forget good tyres

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.