Motorcycle mechanics Bangor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

David McCracken

RMS Member
Drives
'10 leon cupra s
Does anyone on here have a recommendation for an honest reliable bike mechanic in Bangor co down?

Just usual service stuff but also need to have the valve clearances done as it's way past due. Bike is an '09 750 aprilia dorsoduro. There are no aprilia accredited mechanics in n.ireland anymore, only dealers

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Is the old clifton motors at bottom of the Crumlin road not a service agent for them? SM motorcycles in Ards is where i've gone the last few years. Or if your not in a hurry my current bike is in with a fella on church avenue in Bangor but he is retired and still tinkers but can be slow to get the bike back.

David McCracken

RMS Member
OP
David McCracken
Drives
'10 leon cupra s
I wouldn't go back to Clifton Autos if you paid me, the mechanic Mark is a very knowledgeable guy but the owners are pure scum. I had the bike in with then a few years ago for an electrical fault and they had it ten weeks, fed me all sorts of ***** about talking to aprilia warranty people but when I got the number for Alan Rodger (uk tech services director) he knew nothing despite being on the phone every week to Clifton. I think that was the reason he finally removed them.

I've heard of Davys bikes and also heard JK were not worth pursuing.

Thanks for the advice ill let you's know how I get on.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Mark Richardson from clifton would probably do a homer for you, he's always been an aprilia man and has a RSV mille. Davey in Bangor told me i needed a new crank etc and bottom end rebuild when it didn't, thats my only experience with him. Jk I tried to get a simple exhaust gasket from and he made a big deal of it. SM in Ards Steve Murphy is good and reliable, think its Da Murph from on heres uncle, hes been at the bikes a long time.

David McCracken

RMS Member
OP
David McCracken
Drives
'10 leon cupra s
Mark probably has nightmares about my bike, after the nonsense that went down with Clifton I'd doubt he'd want anything to do with my bike!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
SM Motorcycle in newtownards mate, been in ards 30 yrs, Stevie is known by rep. as being an honest and really decent bloke.

Before anyone comments, He is my Dad, but he has been suggested by other riders in other threads before.

Mark Richardson from clifton would probably do a homer for you, he's always been an aprilia man and has a RSV mille. Davey in Bangor told me i needed a new crank etc and bottom end rebuild when it didn't, thats my only experience with him. Jk I tried to get a simple exhaust gasket from and he made a big deal of it. SM in Ards Steve Murphy is good and reliable, think its Da Murph from on heres uncle, hes been at the bikes a long time.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Had him dyno the 'Blade and he said there was a dip in the fueling that he couldn't get out. A trip to Jack Frost and he sorted the fueling perfectly and found 10 more bhp (but I know bhp figures are subjective)

Similarly, he ported and polished the head on Stevie's race SV as well as replaced 2nd gear then said his PC3 was broken and needed a new one. Stevie told him where to go and all of a sudden it worked again. Work on the bike was OK, but his costing was a good bit out from the estimate to the actual cost.

A mates ZX10 had an Interceptor (fuel module) fitted by MotoTech and it caused him nothing but bother. Took it out and the bike has been perfect since.

I've not heard anyone say they've had a great service from him. Only person in the country I'd give my bike to is Jack Frost at Holeshot.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Had him dyno the 'Blade and he said there was a dip in the fueling that he couldn't get out. A trip to Jack Frost and he sorted the fueling perfectly and found 10 more bhp (but I know bhp figures are subjective)

Similarly, he ported and polished the head on Stevie's race SV as well as replaced 2nd gear then said his PC3 was broken and needed a new one. Stevie told him where to go and all of a sudden it worked again. Work on the bike was OK, but his costing was a good bit out from the estimate to the actual cost.

A mates ZX10 had an Interceptor (fuel module) fitted by MotoTech and it caused him nothing but bother. Took it out and the bike has been perfect since.

I've not heard anyone say they've had a great service from him. Only person in the country I'd give my bike to is Jack Frost at Holeshot.
i was just buying parts so maybe thats why it seem ok lol

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
if someone opened another bike garage here and didnt **** people about they would make a fortune because there only are like two that dont

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
if someone opened another bike garage here and didnt **** people about they would make a fortune because there only are like two that dont
Belive it or not ive been looking into this. A garage, come late night coffee shop is the ticket.
Picked out the perfect venue but to expensive :worried:

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Give me job lol do it like american diner style u wud be set,

Last edited:

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
I always wanted tonopen a place similar to 'rufus' s deep fried chicken and oil change' from dont be a menace lol

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
anyone who thinks opening and running a bike shop is simple couldn't be more wrong. To say it is seasonal is an understatement . Busy enough in summer and come the TT etc, but Sept-April it can be very very tough.

My dad has now started a delivery and collection service for motorcycle repairs to help drum up more work.

Will lift ur bike from your garage, repair and then drop off.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Just don't go near JK Motorcycles. Waste of space.

Went past their place a few weeks ago, looked closed. As did Bike Bits on the Balloo Road (where a ice a man used to be).

There is SM in Ards (South Street I believe, close to Molly Browns) and Steenson on the Donaghadee Road, both have an excellent reputation. As for Davy in Bangor he has a reputation but it's not the best.

@da.murf good to hear about the collection and delivery service. Always get the bike serviced/checked over for MoT in the middle of winter so it's handy if it can be picked up and dropped back. Will Defford give him a shout next time.

Stephen M

Drives
BMW GS 1200
SM Motorcycle in newtownards mate, been in ards 30 yrs, Stevie is known by rep. as being an honest and really decent bloke.

Before anyone comments, He is my Dad, but he has been suggested by other riders in other threads before.

Hi, I met him on Saturday when my GS1200 broke down at the MOT Centre, what a great guy, got me bump started. I think I need a new starter motor, I can't find a number for him that works. Can you please give me a number> mine is 07837 411 932 Cheers Stephen McCready, Bangor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.