My 2012 Toyota GT86

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I never got around to posting up a thread for this despite owning it for just over 4 years now but better late than never lol

After parting with the Mk5 Golf GTi I wanted to get back in something rear wheel drive and had my eye on a blue Subaru BRZ in Charles Hurst's but it was sold by the time they got back to me. My neighbour at the time had a red Pre-Facelift GT86 which I loved the look of. Very soon after this black 2012 model came up for sale in Agnews Portadown with only 35,000 miles on it and one previous owner so I spoke to a friend who's a manager in Agnews on Ladas Drive in Belfast who had the car brought down for me to look at.
2DF39ADE-1BB5-4B93-A005-D3A7C8885F0E.jpg

It was totally standard and had a full service history etc and after a short test drive a deal was done. Needless to say it wasn't too long before I put my own stamp on it.

746418C1-70CB-420C-A91B-3113FA141266.jpg
A7044F53-F2C8-4FC0-8362-CC89A83DD425.jpg
7B14863E-4889-44B9-91DE-D35CD7264A5A.jpg

3EF91E27-8543-4E00-9552-E2E4B4961F18.jpg

New wheels, Valenti sequential tail lights and TRD spoiler were added.

Last edited:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Fast forward a couple of years and here she is now 😎

I used autocad to design my own AE86esque retro decals for the doors, some retro rear window louvres were added, dropped about 50mm on H&R springs, changed the colour of the wheels to gold and added a Milltek non-resonated cat-back exhaust and Pipercross panel filter. Interior is still completely standard. This is my daily so I'm not planning anything crazy with it

IMG_20220807_181102.jpg
IMG_20220807_182046.jpg
IMG_20220807_210526.jpg
IMG_20230508_192743.jpg
IMG_20230508_193526.jpg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Stunning looking in black. HTD. I also thought they were a completely different wheel in the second post. Gold really suits that style of rim and the tyres are a better size too 😍

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Stunning looking in black. HTD. I also thought they were a completely different wheel in the second post. Gold really suits that style of rim and the tyres are a better size too 😍

Thanks. Apart from one dead battery and a rear wheel bearing it's never given me any bother in the 60,000 miles I've put on it 👍🏻 Great fun round the Twisties and not hard to run either.

Last edited:

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Thanks. Apart from one dead battery and a rear wheel bearing it's never given me any bother in the 60,000 miles I've put on it 👍🏻 Great fun round the Twisties and not hard to run either

Funnily enough also all mine has ever had in 75k, did both rears when one went. Nice to see one subtly not stock.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
I had a heck of a job getting my wheel bearing out lol hope the other side doesn't go any time soon!

Both were a nightmare lol
I had give myself an hour and half to do the first one, get it done by tea time sorta thing, few bolts and a quick tap off and swap over. That didn't go to plan lol
Second one i let it soak in penetrating spray and got a brutal slide hammer out of work that I thought would make short work of it. Nope :joy:

I'll be making one of these if there ever a next time

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Both were a nightmare lol
I had give myself an hour and half to do the first one, get it done by tea time sorta thing, few bolts and a quick tap off and swap over. That didn't go to plan lol
Second one i let it soak in penetrating spray and got a brutal slide hammer out of work that I thought would make short work of it. Nope :joy:

I'll be making one of these if there ever a next time

Yeah we made a seemingly indestructible hub shocker from 6mm wall steel box section and some plate.... after laying into it with a sledgehammer it bent 🤣🤣🤣 had to remove the knuckle with hub assembly attached and press it out.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Looks great. Wheel change colour really sets it off. Love the louvres too.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Looks great. Wheel change colour really sets it off. Love the louvres too.

Yeah never really liked the anthracite on them. They could do with being painted again as they've picked up a few chips, think the guy that painted them only put a very thin coat on 👎🏻 they'll do for now though. It's my daily not a show car so I'm not too bothered. It does turn a lot of heads. Love seeing people walking round it unaware I'm watching them 😂 What I love about it is you'll probably not see another one the exact same. It's not massively modified but it is fairly unique.

Daniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Class! I remember when I seen this for sale, I wanted it, but the man maths wasn't working out at the time. At least it went to a good home!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Stunning. Really like these motors. Would be very tempted to buy one this year.

They're good fun, not fast but no slow either but speed isn't where these cars shine, they're great handling especially with a suspension upgrade. Mines only on springs but will be changing them out for some coilovers when I finish the Evo.

Fatony

RMS Regular
They're good fun, not fast but no slow either but speed isn't where these cars shine, they're great handling especially with a suspension upgrade. Mines only on springs but will be changing them out for some coilovers when I finish the Evo.
I have been watching review videos of these on YouTube now for around a year. I somehow thought they were really problematic before I started my research. Everyone seems to have a lot of hassle free driving. Battery and some rust issues all I seem to find. And the obvious recall for springs in engine. I am going to see about a drive in one soon. Getting married this year so once that’s over il need something to get out of house every weekend 😂😂

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
First I've seen of this thread.

Looks lovely in black and the gold wheels look nice.

HTD!!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
After 4 and a half years of ownership it's time to say goodbye to the GT86.
A lot of people give these cars stick but in my honest opinion they are great cars! It turns a lot of heads, I've loved hearing people talking about it whilst I've unbeknownst to them been standing right beside them lol it's been incredibly reliable, fun and really very easy to run. With all that said I've been wanting a change of scenery for a few months now and looked at all sorts of stuff from impreza's to Golf GTI's and R's, even toyed with the idea of another Evo but I've decided to go for something a bit more sensible as a daily that I can just waft about in.

A new thread will follow....