My A pillar builds (LOTS OF PICS)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
a guy i know in england who uses a cnc machince day to day. i drew up a few baffle shapes i liked that, they were all the same pretty much and then gave him a detailed drawing with sizes for everything and then he made them! they were a cracking job, absoloutely mm perfect to what i asked for.

thanks for the comments Iain.

one thing ill say about them is that you cant tell a lot about what theyre really like from the finished picture to be honest. the shape and size etc are hard to tell from it.

im glad theyre different to the norm though :grinning: that was the one of the main reasons for their shape (not their size!)

nav man

thanks for all the comments :grinning:

plenty of other things to do too so there might be more picture threads to come in future

heres a few examples of some other tweeters available out there.i know the focal beryliums arent there but the TLR's are ;)

im sure youll all spot a pattern and no its not coincedence in their design.

the distance from the centre of the dome to the edge of the baffle is the critical thing and because this distance changes alot on my builds as you go around the tweet the problem of reflections should me minimised rather well. maybe this is why genesis R1 (the scan 'madonna' tweets) have oval face plates by genesis, to reduce the coherency of the reflections.

Often the top end is limited by the point at which the centre of the dome cannot keep up with the outer edge (where the voice coil is attached). as the centre movement drifts out of phase with the edge the tweet cancels its own output as the centre is out of phase with the edge. This is where hard dome tweets are better than soft ones as the breakup often occurs at higher frequency (but much more severely). The phase plug on the scan and vifa ring radiators (and my BMS compression drivers) removes the centre of the dome so it cannot lag out of phase at higher frequencies, extending the top end.
;) )

I have no idea what any of this means but as you clearly do then I'll say good stuff.

In fairness car audio doesnt interest me much but the fibreglass does.

About the way you made them, was it really necessary to get them sanded so perfectly smooth as you did. For a second i thought you were about to use them to make a fibreglass mould and knock up the real pillars as one piece in fibreglass. Think i'm realizing now that for sound quality reasons that would be the wrong thing to do but made in the way you did would the material not have been quite generous in covering up inperfections on the finish?

Bottom line - if youre happy then sod everyone else.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
they needed to be smooth just to help the curves etc but also because i wanted them to be as good as possible and i nearly ended up spraying them.

as pablo said, the alcantara isnt that forgiving for hiding stuff but they would still need to be pretty smooth anyway.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
oh for god sake, typical and expected of you to come see this and post some rubbish like youve just done.

Lol, brilliant.

Looking well Pete. These went down well on Talk Audio with those that know their stuff, and with you being one of them i know you're over the moon with the finished results. Again, id prefer them a bit more flush myself, but then i cant really tell the difference between standard speakers and top of the range Focals :oops: .

Have to disagree with michelinman. You're not always going to please everyone, or do something to everyones taste. If anything its good that theres a bit of mixed response. But in this case its just that No Limits always makes everything sound inferior to AA. Yes, i admit they are the best (IMO) and im often just speechless by their work, but as pointed out Pete is a DIY-er. It would be different if he worked there, but as Iain said himself- he doesnt! I think its key that everyone remembers this.

Arouser

RMS Regular
Drives
B6 A4 TDI130, B5
1stly the comments by no limits would encourage me to ask the question WHO GIVES A F**K???? his car, his build, his choice. constructive critacisim can be helpful but slaggin off someone elses work is just pointless

well done pete, looks like alot of time and effort went into them pods!

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
Lol, brilliant.

Looking well Pete. These went down well on Talk Audio with those that know their stuff, and with you being one of them i know you're over the moon with the finished results. Again, id prefer them a bit more flush myself, but then i cant really tell the difference between standard speakers and top of the range Focals :oops: .

Have to disagree with michelinman. You're not always going to please everyone, or do something to everyones taste. If anything its good that theres a bit of mixed response. But in this case its just that No Limits always makes everything sound inferior to AA. Yes, i admit they are the best (IMO) and im often just speechless by their work, but as pointed out Pete is a DIY-er. It would be different if he worked there, but as Iain said himself- he doesnt! I think its key that everyone remembers this.

Of course you're not going to please everyone. It would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. My point was that there's always one person that has to stick their oar in regardless of whether its justified or not. Mixed responses are good - in fact you go onto explain how No Limits is just trying to make everything else sound inferior - thats just what I was getting at. Fair enough, my tayto comment may have sounded like everyone should like it. I myself wouldn't have shaped the install like Pete has done, BUT I have to give him the respect his deserves for doing it himself and doing it very professionally IMO. I was referring to No Limits sheer disrespect - thats all. If we agreed with everyone else, why would we even bother posting on a forum!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.