My MR2 3sgte engine build Pic Heavy

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Ok folks a few weeks back I had a cambelt incident luckily about 50yards from my house. So I spoke to stevie at momentum and he came and trailered my car down for me the very next day and started to investigate the problem. The decision was soon made to drop the engine and investigate just to check for internal damage. I know the 3sgte in a non inference engine but valve damage can still occur. Will some thinking and financial planning I decided to fully forge the engine and let stevie and andy source me some parts and price up the job. The price was agreed and sard injectors and an apexi power fc were soon added to the package. Here are some pics of the work so far.

The MR2 waiting outside momentum for work to begin

DSCF1233.jpg

Inside and waiting to hit the ramps

DSCF1182-1.jpg

Up she goes

DSCF1235-1.jpg

work begins preparing the rear subframe, transmission and engine for removal

DSCF1236-1.jpg

DSCF1238.jpg

Out come the engine and transmission

DSCF1239.jpg

The space behind the cabin

DSCF1241.jpg

The engine on the floor with andy checking the turbo

DSCF1240.jpg

Turbo and wastegate with screamer clearly visible

DSCF1243-1.jpg

Rear Subframe transmission and engine

DSCF1244-1.jpg

Engine going onto the stand so the big fella can get to work
DSCF1248-1.jpg

Happy as larry

DSCF1246-1.jpg

The ORC (osgiken) clutch clearly visible and stevey aka spuds MR2 lookin sweet in the background

DSCF1247-1.jpg

Clutch & flywheel removed

DSCF1253.jpg

Bottom End

DSCF1249-1.jpg

Bottom View of Top End fortunately only 2 valves were slightly bent. All valves are being sent of for inspection

DSCF1250.jpg

Dee

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra GSI/Corol
Nasty broken timing belts are never good lol espercially on an mr2!One pain in the ass to work at.....Hope all goes well lad!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Ahhh I've just realised who they are now.

Can you run more boost now with forged internals or is your turbo already maxed out?

Keep the pics coming, love threads like this.

mi16chris

RMS Regular
Drives
210hp clio 182
looking good bud btw ORC and os giken a diffrent there not made by the seam ppl

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
@ Gee.... Yes buddy more boost is on its way althought to be honest it was the injectors and lack of ECU control for the air and fuel which was restricting my boost pressure initially as I didint want to risk the car running lean. People run the standard CT20B up to 1.2-1.3Bar which is really pushing it.

So here are some of the bits going in.

DSCF1255.jpg

DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

Fidanza Flywheel

fidanza.jpg

KO racing twin 12" Spal Fans with Stainless lid

EngFanShroud2.jpg

got 1000miles to do to run it all in with 4 oil changes (incl final one). Turbo is at AET for overhaul and depending on budget will be receiving some major attention !!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
awesome paul ... love threads like this myself ... love this mr2 alot of time and money in it thats for sure (y) Can i ask were do you source most of your parts through?

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Chris all the parts you see above Excl the engine lid and fidanza were sourced through momentum. They beat any internet company price I could find and got me the stuff fast. Like most places it all comes from their contacts in the USA. You can deal with these people yourself and save even more money but im not sure its worth the hassle. Plus they got me sards cheaper than wolfkatz for example so better brands too so all in all very impressed so far. The extender lead for the power FC was a bitch to source as it runs from the boot in an MR2 and they managed to get it.

The other source I use is www.tbdevelopments.com which also has a great JAP forum which gets pretty technical, the guy who runs it devloped my turbo kit but momentum are taking it further for me with the help of AET Turbos.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Mark C on here is dealing direct with US suppliers for his build and he is doing really really well price wise

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Awesome paul thanks, might give these guys a shout if they are that good. You say they work out of lisburn?
Need a whole load of stuff come next pay check ... cant wait now after reading down through this :laughing:

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I never take the rear crossmember out with the engine. I take it off, leave the engine hanging on the two side mounts, then raise the car away from the engine on the lift. Saves the hassle of having to take the rear suspension out.

Looking good there Paul - my head is away at the minute to get modified for the bigger valves.

Once we're done we def have to organise a meetup

Mark_C

RMS Regular
btw paul - a full set of aftermarket valves can be had for £150 delivered

Where did you get the cometic head gasket for the rev 3 ? I thought they only did up to rev 2 - I went and bought another bloody hks one

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Mark C on here is dealing direct with US suppliers for his build and he is doing really really well price wise

Mate of mine is building a Supra and got parts direct from a place in America and the difference in price was ridiculous. Plus the guy put an invoice in the box for $450 for parts costing $4500 ;)

He got NGK plugs for $3 each, for example... :-#

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Yeah Gee we are totally ripped off here as usual mate.

@Mark-C. Yes mate if anymore valves are found to be bent I will be ordering a complete set of Supertecs I think ??

Who is doing your head work mate ?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
what thickness replacement gasket did you go for once you ditched the cometic paul?

I had to go for 1.6mm to preserve CR.

It's going to be awesome when we get them running right! I'm looking forward to seeing what this GT3582 will actually do on a lined block.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Yeah Gee we are totally ripped off here as usual mate.

@Mark-C. Yes mate if anymore valves are found to be bent I will be ordering a complete set of Supertecs I think ??

Who is doing your head work mate ?

supertecs are the ones i went for - 1mm oversize for £150 delivered

Any of the UK suppliers as you know are closer to £220

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
I reckon the 1.2mm HKS will be my next step buddy. Does that sound right to you as I know its either that or the 1.6mm ?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I reckon the 1.2mm HKS will be my next step buddy. Does that sound right to you as I know its either that or the 1.6mm ?

What CR are the pistons you have? I went for 1.6mm

Are you on std bore pistons or 86,5mm?

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Well with everything out the cause of the broken timing belt has been found as the belt was in pretty good nick. It turns out the oil pump had seized and the pully stopping dead snapped the belt. Im a lucky boy i was doing about 5mph turning into my street after a proper drive home from carrickfergus.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Ok bottom end all broken up yesterday, hence the discovery of the trashed oil pump, Some pics of the breakdown 8)
Sump Removed Plenty of filings in here
DSCF1264.jpg

Bottom end with sump removed
DSCF1271-1.jpg

Baffle Plate and Oil Pick Up
View through a bore
DSCF1269.jpg

Crank and piston disassemby
DSCF1266.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg

Pistons and rods
DSCF1268.jpg

Crank. Luckily not damaged during oil pump failure
DSCF1267.jpg

Powerwashing the block to be sent away for rebore
DSCF1272-1.jpg

The offender.... The MR2 3sgte Oil pump inner view, The ring you can see is meant to spin freely but is welded in place. The pully attaches to the opposite side and when it stalled thats what snapped the belt
DSCF1273-1.jpg

DSCF1274-1.jpg

So the block is being rebored today as far as I know and the turbo inspection at AET will be completed today 8) Im hoping for assembly to commence next week then the pics will be much better filled with new shiney bits 8)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.