My Peugeot 205 (Proper) Rallye 1.3 lhd

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Cool cars, although I find it strange that the Rallye is 1.3 in comparison to the 1.9 in the GTI. How does it perform compared to your 1.9? I imagine that the engine would be a fair bit lighter?

These were built to go rallying in sub 1300 category on the continent and not sold in the UK (the one we got only had a single carb, was 1.4 and about 25bhp less). Theyre about 100kg lighter than the gtis too at just under 800kg as standard.

Germany got a 1.9 Rallye but they were a bit of a strange thing and by all accounts it was really strangled by emissions stuff.

It's harder to drive as you need to really keep the revs up, but I find it more fun to be honest. Straight line it would run out of puff before the GTi due to the gearbox. But in corners I think this would have the edge, they had 1.6 GTi suspension from factory which helps them too.

Excuse the length of the post, I've been a bit nerdy about these rallyes for quite some time 😆

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
And it's now a bare shell. Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far, nothing frightening considering it's been used for competition before. Most of the rust spots are from where we had welded the now not needed river holes in the floor. Hopefully be able to reuse the existing cage mounts. Seem strong enough just not very tidy welding on them but all fixable.
IMG_20191013_173233.jpg

Took the opportunity to throw the Subaru onto stand too so that we can tinker at it too. Had a helper/hindrance for a bit too.
IMG_20191013_174132.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
IMG_20191117_160235.jpg

IMG_20191117_160243.jpg

Well, this is hateful. Not unearthing anything too frightening yet thankfully. There will be a bit of work needing done but have seen much worse.

@jayme is coming up next weekend to lend a hand, so should be able to beat through it rightly with 2 on it / maybe 3 if my dad helps too.

HILL9N3GTI

RMS Regular
i think its about time you put the bmw to one side and get this 205 finished seen one today on fb and have been stuck on youtube all day watching vids and the sound of one of these things is in itself enough to make you want to get it on the road, how its taking so long to get this far i cant understand. i want a run in it when its done.
have you set yourself a date yet to have it running again and if you ever need another set of hands when im home from eng if im welcome i would be more than happy to come up and give yous all a hand our even make the brews at the least :laughing::laughing:

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
i think its about time you put the bmw to one side and get this 205 finished seen one today on fb and have been stuck on youtube all day watching vids and the sound of one of these things is in itself enough to make you want to get it on the road, how its taking so long to get this far i cant understand. i want a run in it when its done.
have you set yourself a date yet to have it running again and if you ever need another set of hands when im home from eng if im welcome i would be more than happy to come up and give yous all a hand our even make the brews at the least :laughing::laughing:

Hah, no deadline on it, not going to rush it either!

Good to see some more work being done Conor and Clifford

Cheers Liam, it just seems to be taking steps backwards everytime, but upwards from here I think as there's not much to take off now, literally just bumpstops on the back!

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Thread revival ,how did this car finish up or is it still a work in progress .Seriously strong money for a proper rallye these days .

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
It’s still a work in progress from what I gather... but getting there

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Thread revival ,how did this car finish up or is it still a work in progress .Seriously strong money for a proper rallye these days .
😂 It's still in bits in the garage.

Have my MK2 Golf to sort first and then we'll get to this. Agreed though they're silly money now, another reason I'm in no rush at all, may as well do it right, even if it's not going to be a standard road car.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
😂 It's still in bits in the garage.

Have my MK2 Golf to sort first and then we'll get to this. Agreed though they're silly money now, another reason I'm in no rush at all, may as well do it right, even if it's not going to be a standard road car.
You wouldn’t have a spare 205 roll cage by any chance lol .