My Polo *big update post 341*

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Awesome Conrad - wheels look great in the crinkle finish and i love the steering wheel.

great to see the juice too :grinning:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Right so Im finally back at it. Between changing jobs, moving in with the girlfriend, trying to keep her nova and my mk3 on the road and various excuses I havnt got near the polo so I set myself to get everything sorted so once I started back at it I could keep at it.

I must say my Internet isnt working at the minute and this is all done from my phone so if this post is messed up dont be shocked.

While I havnt been working at it I've been buying bits as time slipped by.

One of the best things I've bought is a Nodiz ignition management kit. This means my ocd self can get rid of more back wiring, ugly coil etc.

I got myself a half roll cage. I didn't want an aluminium one and after almost building my own a friend sold me his mk3 golf one. Need to take about 3 inches off the back legs and it'll be a perfect fit.

20140123_210456_zps862c44dc.jpg

Next I got a pair of fixed buckets next.
Id fixed buckets years ago in my corsa and always said id have another set.
I need to get myself some harnesses it anyone is selling any.

IMG_20140219_215751_zpsb028215d.jpg

IMG_20140219_215401_zpsdaefc4c8.jpg

Down to the proper ****. Although I thought the bay was complete there were a few things that id regrets on not doing. So out came the grinder and off came the rain tray.

Before
20141122_150519_zps3086ceac.jpg

After
20141122_161928_zpseb5aac79.jpg

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
This does away with the wiper linkage mounts but I've a single wiper with hidden linkages in the works. Along the windscreen has wee tabs too for the plastic scuttle panel and obviously I wont be using that so trimmed them off. That had us up until Saturday evening and it was home to get pissed

Before
20141122_163244_zps0bfe4046.jpg

After
20141122_185030_zps52779b4e.jpg

Sunday had the burner and paint scraper out to remove the bitumen.

20141123_163115_zpsf00a4ae8.jpg

I'd a dilemma then as the 2 ugly hoses for the heater matrix were even more noticeable.

After having been told by lee for ages Id be mad to bin the matrix I decided I'd do what she always accuses me of, "never listening". Bye bye heat and comfort.
20141123_163111_zpsec0a9162.jpg

And on to my favourite bit. The reason I'm tearing the bay up again. I bit the bullet and got myself some oem mounts and decided to subframe mount my engine and box. Christ this bay is tight. Matt and I pulled the engine and box out and got the new brackets bolted up and rolled the lot back in for lining up. Im looking forward to doing some proper fab work though. Thats as far as I've got now bar learning I need a mk2 subframe rather than a mk3 I have ffs.

IMG-20141124-WA0003_zps2242eb87.jpg

IMG-20141124-WA0001_zps0dbe0539.jpg

More to come tomorrow night believe it or not

Connor

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
When you say subframe from a Mk3 your talking polo yea?

Any how good to progress being made tho you do know its winter now?? This should of been summer work .

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Good stuff, stick at it! ;)
Cheers Colin. Get at yours. I assume you've no build thread?

When you say subframe from a Mk3 your talking polo yea?

Any how good to progress being made tho you do know its winter now?? This should of been summer work .

Nah Tufty Lee and I bought a mk3 Golf between us for bits and I was gona use the front subframe from it but its the wrong shape on the ends. I need a mk2 golf one. And it'll need narrowed.

And Summer work? It should have been 2012 work lol

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
@seanmooney they're autostyle bs7. I got them last Jan but obviously I havnt got near them yet

Slow progress last night. Lots of measuring between getting the engine lined up then where to cut into the subframe for the mount to go. Obviously id rather take my time there

The rubber mount is 77mm diameter so only the edge will sit onto my cut area with the rest overhanging. To sort this I found some 80mm pipe with 3mm wall and shaped it to sit on the subframe and this built up a platform. I think the round will look bit more factory than building it in plate and should be stronger.

Next I need to plate the top with a captive nut behind to thread in the mount but that's for the next night.

IMG-20141125-WA0002_zpsf47672ea.jpg

Connor

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Back at it again :laughing:

Finished off the mount rest on the subframe, got the nut welded in below it to thread the mount into (hence the heat marks in the middle) and tacked it into place:
photo_zps824afab1.jpg

The rubber mount I'm using is from a V8 Land Rover but the threaded part was too short so I grinded it down into a point and got an OEM subframe bolt and drilled up the centre of it. I slid the two into each other, tapered the subframe bolt towards the weld and welded the two together.
photo-2_zpse0211f2a.jpg

This then allowed a more factory look to the finished product when bolted up:
photo-3_zps8d38e22e.jpg

photo-1_zpscbc94828.jpg

I started mocking up for the driver side but no pics as of yet. I'm also debating to use a mk2 subframe or make my own from tubing but I reckon I'd be happier with a narrowed factory frame. BTW @Tufty I've no phone til the mid week so I'll give you a shout when I get sorted

Connor

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Found this new VW manual yours FOC if you need it..

Attachments

• 20141204_123033.jpg
    20141204_123033.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 86
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.