My RB26 260Z Project

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Dave is certainly and artist and a perfectionist, and you are correct Andy, its these final details that make all the difference.

I think I might be getting a bit too anal about this. Though I have always overthought things

Spent about 3 hours tonight going through all my photos trying to work out where I could move my battery through panel connector to somewhere more hidden. It took a while because there are very few options where it doesn't get in the way of something else. I did find a spot though, only just big enough. So it should be getting moved. I wanted to do this from the start, but couldn't work out where so gave up, but decided it had to be possible so gave it another bash.

DSCF8777.JPG

I've definitely wasted days thinking through all these little details, mostly how to hide and tuck things around the bay. Things that will go unnoticed on their own but together add up to make it something a bit more special.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Import costs are paid once the goods clear UK customs. They're paid by the courier and you reimburse they basically hold your stuff to ransom until it's paid.

Expect it to be around £250 though based on personal experience. I nearly keeled over when I got the letter 🙈 lol

Yea I know. I’ve done 3 or 4 big orders from amayama in the past 1-2 years and have been usually around the £300 mark. Sick!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Gap looks so much better now.

Currently trying to decide which line lock to use. Electric one to lock pressure in the front brakes or a manual valve in the rear circuit to stop pressure going to them meaning you can just jump off the clutch and slam on the brakes without any resistance from the rear when you are warming the tyres.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Gap looks so much better now.

Currently trying to decide which line lock to use. Electric one to lock pressure in the front brakes or a manual valve in the rear circuit to stop pressure going to them meaning you can just jump off the clutch and slam on the brakes without any resistance from the rear when you are warming the tyres.

Looking close now!!

Thinking about a failure.... It would be better if the brakes stayed on, rather than not operating if the line lock malfunctioned. That would be my thought process anyway.
Although, you could probably limp home with no rear brakes, quicker than the fronts jammed on .

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Personally I wouldn't bother with a line lock unless you plan on doing a lot of standing burnouts/drag racing. It's really the only reason to have one.

And the last thing you want when driving is probably for the brakes to slam on just because a line lock failed. That sounds like a guaranteed accident. Normal brake circuits fail gracefully for that reason.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thinking about a failure.... It would be better if the brakes stayed on, rather than not operating if the line lock malfunctioned. That would be my thought process anyway.
Although, you could probably limp home with no rear brakes, quicker than the fronts jammed on .
Good thoughts. Either should be fine though. Rear valve is a manual so can not fail. Front could really only fail once locked, which while annoying wouldn't be a hazard.

They are not budget items though so I'd hope for no issues, especially as they are actually quite common on many higher powered builds, certain muscle cars even dome equipped from the factory.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a line lock unless you plan on doing a lot of standing burnouts/drag racing. It's really the only reason to have one.

And the last thing you want when driving is probably for the brakes to slam on just because a line lock failed. That sounds like a guaranteed accident. Normal brake circuits fail gracefully for that reason.
They wouldn't suddenly fail and lock on, could only fail once locked.

Granted it won't get used much, but it add next to no weight, so if I ever wanted one, now is the time to add it.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
6v2uzd2Q.jpg

Work continues, was actually still some metalwork left to set the panel gaps. Some adjustment required to get them all even.

CTzR3UAFDvgGc2yLPWqF.jpg

5qkHdoQMCyKoOkxSD2sx.jpg

DjUM3AKzW0MxMgDo9Kke.jpg

6DpAojwUQpf6BgUx1s6f.jpg

aw0flJ0A.jpg

DfWLWEba11qQYWyySv2l.jpg

ilkHkjsvRsjl3pKZfR4i.jpg

All good now:

8vUPymk1SOreZhfPIeu3.jpg

cBDx0Q1nrhQ7r2pGQuNE.jpg

JJp8pnLA.jpg

i2esN3xN3WSVg8fcDb7e.jpg

JjDhukY2JleORHq3QKGK.jpg

UjgksoPixrzY4ZGgGQpo_96CKSPoBJEbzSKudNvpZH5.jpg

Rear quarter needed a relief cut in order to let the panel move into place.

Panel_Gap.jpg

VNXHNAVJcdM70IZd9u9S.jpg

BWPGTWBsMQ0yAWshJDL4_rbep9jj28a2dokw11eYcCi.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
PE6KacaDXFuI96yZzOld.jpg

Decided to mount the splash guards as bolt on items. this will allow me clean behind them without needing to remove the wing.

FuhjBAwDLTC381101rDv.jpg

lxrbr1UxJu1Iwst6Wnur.jpg

C Pillar joints needed lead loading

8d4aqdiHHTiJKSYLNj0T.jpg

Z9RneDCzXilfmcWGN1Nj.jpg

vKDSdRXtNOpIG8GEZ0vY.jpg

lpm5vebHYnCmCIBPdOwx.jpg

te0fkxzavhozWi5JlEOU.jpg

6kbsp4KINKvaC3AJORgS.jpg

l5mTCfAy0Qsi3gbkB6eD.jpg

I have a spare set of access panels, these will get louvered. Then I have options for both, I feel they may be useful for helping with heat, can fit them for track only if I decide I don't like the look 24/7.

DMPLPGwMLk62SmIjaWa8.jpg

Will soon be ready for sanding back the body and applying the final layer of epoxy primer, Will be using Novol range for everything.

WfU97dEg3QFD5lt9HBDl.jpg

Got some parts waiting for me upon my return home, including the Tomei oil pump.

BEMAE3748.JPG

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Extreme OCD levels there with the panel gaps, way beyond OEM 😇

But when you are in this deep you might as well go the whole way. You won't be doing this again any time soon!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I am very tempted to just say f*** it, just paint it as it is to reduce cost, but proper panel gaps make such a massive difference to the finish of the overall outcome that I guess I'll just have to abuse the finances for a bit longer.

You won't be doing this again any time soon!
Not a chance I ever do a build like this again, could be the last car I build, its just too expensive. Might have to give up on the V10 dream.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I am very tempted to just say f*** it, just paint it as it is to reduce cost, but proper panel gaps make such a massive difference to the finish of the overall outcome that I guess I'll just have to abuse the finances for a bit longer.

Not a chance I ever do a build like this again, could be the last car I build, its just too expensive. Might have to give up on the V10 dream.

Worth it

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Can almost see the light again 😎
Almost, perhaps just a pinhole.

Ah sure it's nearly done! Couple more weeks and you'll be laughing
Will be a couple more months.

He wants to put this aside for a while once its all in the new epoxy so he can do other builds. Then once it comes out again it will be worked on until completion. But thats probably 3 weeks of work.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Louvers stamped in spare inspection panels.

c3Rx7076YiPbqoRxtlgI.jpg

Epoxy time

bswyYyeazjMJO6TdAWzl.jpg

KMfLHgDW0i9aKRGhpEgw.jpg

Indizn2KBOs8BnVX28S8.jpg

jgoZyy0lpYDCW5bKT3ca.jpg

tNDLblNyY8yfON5UttpN.jpg

Q8wIH2ow.jpg

Panel gaps are on point:

L9OAV7OCULWP2KJOHjDe.jpg

aUeGXdxw.jpg

iqvkAQsWnK9bPDqr5Yb3.jpg

JX0S0WC7Ku6uFZmKQ0DX.jpg

xn2ZivEc4qaAra1V5O4G.jpg

pT8U62aVUrb1lPxlC3hb.jpg

HcLliQ9lgTFlIrDnZw8R.jpg

Car will go to storage now for a month or two while Dave finishes other cars. When it comes back out it will be finished to completion.

Thats 1384 hours into this now. 😲

Got raped by import costs between the Amayama parts and parts from RHD Japan the total this month came to £637, that wasn't nice.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Those louvres - work of art! 😍 Just use them straight away. Getting that perfect is not easy, any deviation would be instantly visible.

Almost looking like a car again 👌

Number of hours 🫣

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Can't express just how much I love this car and how much of a work of art it is! Amazing! Yes it's a huge investment of time, money and emotions but it will be world class once its finally completed

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Those louvres - work of art! 😍 Just use them straight away. Getting that perfect is not easy, any deviation would be instantly visible.
I'll have to see how they look once fitted.

Almost looking like a car again 👌
Its getting there

Off to storage for a bit. Looking pretty good considering its pre bodyworking

kiloWsyQ8x0XEdT4GzeJ.jpg

Will seem almost sad to be painting the carbon bonnet.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I'm honestly not a fan of carbon fibre bonnets, didn't even like the look of them back in the mid noughties when they were "the next big thing", I appreciate them from a weight loss perspective but always thought they looked a bit tacky on anything that wasn't black.
I feel the same, hence why its getting painted. But it still seems a little wrong covering up an expensive item which on its own it it very nice looking.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I feel the same, hence why its getting painted. But it still seems a little wrong covering up an expensive item which on its own it it very nice looking.
Could you just paint the outside of it and then a satin lacquer on the inside to still show the carbon but look neat?