Mystery ingrained dirt.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
We had this on @Mel car a couple of times before but we put it down to it living outdoors and being a daily.

But my car is garaged and I've only done maybe 100miles and have this film of dirt only on the back. The car was spotless after its first wash two weeks ago so it's happened on our roads over only a couple of journeys.

I used citrus prewash under snowfoam. Left to dwell for 10/15 mins then hosed off. Noticed the rear was still quite dirty so hit it with more citrus while I got the bucket filled.

Shampoo'd, hosed off and the dirt was still there ?
I actually had to polish it off in the end. The pad was stinking.
What would be causing it, and what would take it off under normal washing conditions ?

Hard to see but, before . . .
20240107_150432.jpg

Quick polish (strip above tail light) . . . . .
20240107_150445.jpg

Polish pad dirty after doing a small section . . . . .
20240107_150455.jpg

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Clay bar/cloth and then give the car a coat of something to help protect it?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Clay bar/cloth and then give the car a coat of something to help protect it?
It was clean and used a Si-o2 type quick detailer. The rest of the car was beading really well.

I do intend on giving it the works once the better weather gets here but hoped there was an easier fix until then. The polish I used was Autofinesse Tripple which is polish/sealant/wax so maybe it'll help a bit. Or now it's in the garage I'll wax it quickly until spring.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Fumes, most likely mate.

The ones I'd have spent a lot of time around on track would have been covered in what can only be described as nicotine staining on the rear only after two days on track.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Does the car identify as a screwed out GTR-D Turbo?

Fumes, most likely mate.

The ones I'd have spent a lot of time around on track would have been covered in what can only be described as nicotine staining on the rear only after two days on track.

The tailpipes would be quite black in a short time , so yeah that's probably it.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Yea it’s the exhaust, GTR’s always need loads of claying round their derrière lol

Mel’s car could be from chimneys nearby
Mels was on the top surfaces, roof and bonnet so you're exactly right.
Is it just a case of protecting then ?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Yea coat it and it will make life a lot easier. You will find fallout remover shifts alot of it too if you include that in fairly regular washes. Just the most affected areas then a good general dosing of the whole car every 3 months or so depending on usage.

If the GTR is mostly garaged just do it as often as you feel the need to, might only be annually really. With it you could also hit the back end with fallout remover before you even put prewash on it and just use prewash on the rest.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Yea coat it and it will make life a lot easier. You will find fallout remover shifts alot of it too if you include that in fairly regular washes. Just the most affected areas then a good general dosing of the whole car every 3 months or so depending on usage.

If the GTR is mostly garaged just do it as often as you feel the need to, might only be annually really. With it you could also hit the back end with fallout remover before you even put prewash on it and just use prewash on the rest.
It needs a good going over anyway. Few wee orange specks which I assume is tree sap or something. Nothing major but enough for me to only want to give it normal washes till the weather warms up. Then I'll sort it properly.
I remember I'd to clay mels audi to get rid of it. Think I've done it twice now a couple of years apart but it sitting outside and us having a coal fire won't help.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
The orange specs are iron fallout. They are an airborne contaminant but they also get generated by the cars brakes and exhaust too.

Fallout remover will be way more effective at removing them than a clay 😎

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
The orange specs are iron fallout. They are an airborne contaminant but they also get generated by the cars brakes and exhaust too.

Fallout remover will be way more effective at removing them than a clay 😎
These are more pronounced than the usual iron fallout, and only the odd one here and there on the top surfaces. Suspected insect poop 😆 (car spent time in storage)
But yeah I'll get the fallout remover on the go next wash 👍