New car prices

e320mark

RMS Regular
Having just sold the x3 I was looking through paperwork & came across the price from August 2021. We ticked pretty much every option box but couldn’t get Harmon kardon due to the chip shortage that time.
The price came in at £47000 something.
I’ve looked a what a similar new one would cost now and it would be at least £10 k more! That’s crazy! How the hell has the price gone up so much in such a short time!
Covid has a lot to answer for!

Dave..

RMS Regular
Having just sold the x3 I was looking through paperwork & came across the price from August 2021. We ticked pretty much every option box but couldn’t get Harmon kardon due to the chip shortage that time.
I’ve looked a what a similar new one would cost now and it would be at least £10 k more! That’s crazy! How the hell has the price gone up so much in such a short time!
Agreed, prices are crazy.
Also some dealers think that even if they provide crap service we will still pay list price- nutters 🤬
The car trade has changed a lot since covid. Though there are still some dealers who will go the extra mile to get your business.

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
Agreed, prices are crazy.
Also some dealers think that even if they provide crap service we will still pay list price- nutters 🤬
The car trade has changed a lot since covid. Though there are still some dealers who will go the extra mile to get your business.
I paid nowhere near list price for the 128 as the new model has been released, think almost £3500 of list plus an extra £1000 off as the car was in their stock.
Wife going company car route with electric which is why I could justify selling the x3

Chris100

RMS Regular
The variation in some pricing is also pretty wild, you will see the same model listed as very different prices.

BMW seem to be the only manufacturer with sensible financing rates, but this only applies to certain models.

Again BMW seem to be the only manufacturer offering contributions.

I don’t see any other “premium” brands with similar offers.

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
Plus you've got inflation which was near 10% recently and manufacturers being forced to invest in electric. Many of the electric cars will be loss making at first so they have to increase the margins on the existing range to help pay for them.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
My buddy has just got a deal on this M340D, all options and M3 seats. Cancelled order through TRL deals, list is 71k 🤢 for a 3 series!!! He's getting a significant discount as it's a quite a niche car.

Basic is 60k for 340d, like wtf! My e90 330d back in the day was 32k.

Prices are crazy. Audi have asked twice now for my car back, offering very close to what i paid for it. But, to get into something else would cost way to much.

IMG-20240604-WA0004.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
The variation in some pricing is also pretty wild, you will see the same model listed as very different prices.

BMW seem to be the only manufacturer with sensible financing rates, but this only applies to certain models.

Again BMW seem to be the only manufacturer offering contributions.

I don’t see any other “premium” brands with similar offers.

Being brutally honest - contributions are only there if they cannot shift units at the price and volume they need to

So if the OEM has built the right demand and cost models then they don’t need to discount - that’s the aim that every OEM wants to get to

Variable marketing costs like finance incentives etc are the absolute drain to the balance sheet and should be avoided at all costs from an OEM perspective

Chris100

RMS Regular
Being brutally honest - contributions are only there if they cannot shift units at the price and volume they need to

So if the OEM has built the right demand and cost models then they don’t need to discount - that’s the aim that every OEM wants to get to

Variable marketing costs like finance incentives etc are the absolute drain to the balance sheet and should be avoided at all costs from an OEM perspective

Contributions seem to be mainly on M3 and M2 models, which are probably lower volume than other models in the range.

Plenty of used and new ones about, difficult to see how they are shifting used ones when the finance rate is double what it is on a new one.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Contributions seem to be mainly on M3 and M2 models, which are probably lower volume than other models in the range.

Plenty of used and new ones about, difficult to see how they are shifting used ones when the finance rate is double what it is on a new one.

As mentioned it’s a combo of no of units and volume - if they are contributing then they don’t have enough demand despite having lower volume which doesn’t bode well really

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The prices are keeping pace with inflation. My M5 was £66k new in 1999. With inflation that's over £120k, which is about what they are now.

They're also massively more complicated nowadays (albeit with arguably lower quality materials)

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken

It's been worth it though - we flattened the curve.

Don't forget too that every new car, device, food, agri product, clothes is made in Ukraine.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
It’s interesting as I had my time in my thirties in a fleet of 4 new BMWs. Fast forward to new house and our son, money is tighter. I look at the price of a new 2.0 Audi A6 Quattro avant with the same (or as near) spec (having to add in Options on the Audi over standard on my 23 plate Skoda Superb). I can’t justify the price of the Audi albeit as a “premium” marque. At a guess it must be £10k diff. Factor in slightly different interest rates and contributions but I think it’s still a big gap.

gary87

RMS Regular
When I first started working in VW a brand new Polo Match was £149 deposit, £149/month, 4 year PCP doing 10k p/a. Now a new Polo would be (at least) £1,000 deposit and £250/month. The list price is more than a Mk7 Golf Match was 5 years ago and second hand Mk7 Golf second hand, are about the same price they were when I was selling them 4 years ago!

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
SubaruLegacy
An E90 330d in todays money is about £54-55k, not a big difference to the current model factoring in the increases in equipment and technology they carry.

Issue is wages haven’t kept pace.
Never mind with inflation, my wages have been stagnant since 2021. I'm 20% a year worse off in just 3 years!

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
It's mad.

It's like something happened during these past few years that massively destroyed the value of our savings and purchasing power.

Ah well, whatever it was, it was obviously worth the pain we'll be enduring now for another generation.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
It's mad.

It's like something happened during these past few years that massively destroyed the value of our savings and purchasing power.

Ah well, whatever it was, it was obviously worth the pain we'll be enduring now for another generation.
Sure we've all this soverienty now

:eyes:

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
It's mad.

The reduction of real wages go back a lot further than that. Pre COVID below.

1718953592749.png

The pandemic didn’t help but the choice of austerity in the early 2010s cannot be ignored. It knocked purchasing power back considerably and wages have been largely stagnate since.