New car time. Decisions, decisions.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
The Audi does look very very nice, but the driving experience is nowhere near the BMW's. FWD for starters, which is fine, but for general grip, handling and composure you really need a RWD developed chassis like in the BMW - oversteer, not understeer :p. Steering feedback is a generally poor trait of Audi's and the gearbox wouldn't be in the same league as the BMW either. Other than that, its a great car, but I wouldn't buy it over looks alone.

Gaz

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
Gaz said:
The Audi does look very very nice, but the driving experience is nowhere near the BMW's. FWD for starters, which is fine, but for general grip, handling and composure you really need a RWD developed chassis like in the BMW - oversteer, not understeer :p. Steering feedback is a generally poor trait of Audi's and the gearbox wouldn't be in the same league as the BMW either. Other than that, its a great car, but I wouldn't buy it over looks alone.

Gaz

more of these kind of jeremy clarkson-esque reviews please

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Having driven my Mums A4 a far few times i can safely say there is no comparison between the BM and it...

The Audi's steering is over light with Zero road feel present, when pushing on you have absolutely no idea what the car is doing underneath you, It seems to be a bad trait in Audi's , her previous car was a 225 TT and it was exactly the same, woolly steering , no feel and even though it was 4wd it just under steered everywhere...

On the upside Audi's are extremely well screwed together and look great kitted up, but if you enjoy driving and enjoy pushing on you will find the BM a lot more rewarding to drive.

Phil

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
having been in both i personally enjoy the audi a lot more. I feel the power delivery etc is a lot smoother and i think it feels more refined and luxurious which i would personally be looking for if spending that amount of money. Altough there is no question that both cars are great i just feel the audi has the edge and also the interior etc of the audi is a lot better. At the end of the day it is all in what you personally want from the car and which one you feel suits your needs better.:laughing:

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I wouldnt go for the BMW. My dad had a 320DSE remapped and hated it so much that he changed it for a New Golf 4 months later!!! It doesnt feel quick and third gear is a nightmare.

Go for the A4.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
andy_gdon said:
I wouldnt go for the BMW. My dad had a 320DSE remapped and hated it so much that he changed it for a New Golf 4 months later!!! It doesnt feel quick and third gear is a nightmare.

Go for the A4.

Oddly enough I've heard a few reports about the 320DSE being awful! Found it hard to believe!

Andy

polo on the prowl

Drives
2007 Mazdaspeed
id go audi A4. was goin to purchase one of them myself, but wanted sumit scary fast in a derv. 130bhp GT TDI Polo, super chipped to near 170BHP. Dont think Derv's come much quicker.

PhilG

RMS Regular
320d sport 150bhp standard,and hugs the road (its lowered 25mm with stiffened suspension standard and 18inch rims). Look out for them in limited edition imola red, beautiful colour.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
polo on the prowl said:
id go audi A4. was goin to purchase one of them myself, but wanted sumit scary fast in a derv. 130bhp GT TDI Polo, super chipped to near 170BHP. Dont think Derv's come much quicker.

how about a 200bhp derv ibiza mk4?? same chassis but different set-up....much nimbler!!

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
also forgot to mention the "hit it with a sledge hammer to get reverse" gearbox on the BMW!! when we complained to BMW they simply said that was a characteristic of the badge!!

Rik

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E46 M3
Jamies A4 is much nicer than the Bmw and much less common,

Audi Gets my vote

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
andy_gdon said:
also forgot to mention the "hit it with a sledge hammer to get reverse" gearbox on the BMW!! when we complained to BMW they simply said that was a characteristic of the badge!!

That just how they are lol - deal with it :p

If I were you rocko I'd be out test driving for all you are worth instead of listening to people's views on a forum. BMW would be my choice but depending on what you are personally looking for, I can't see you being disappointed with either ;)

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
I never liked the 320d's at all, i found them very lifeless. The 330d is the one to have but if you can stretch to a bit more money i would have the 530d sport over any of the above mentioned cars.

If you head over to England youll pick up 330d's / 530d's for a bit less than you would be paying here.

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
both are lovely cars - id prob take the a4 but im a big fan of both

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
polo on the prowl said:

remapped 330Cd sport hitting around 240bhp+ and more torque then an M3

i shall own some day :laughing:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
paddymcc said:
I never liked the 320d's at all, i found them very lifeless. The 330d is the one to have but if you can stretch to a bit more money i would have the 530d sport over any of the above mentioned cars.

If you head over to England youll pick up 330d's / 530d's for a bit less than you would be paying here.

forgot about the 5 series. a black 530d on 18" schnitzers is a very special vehicle indeed.

edit:
media
:imp:

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Lyons said:
forgot about the 5 series. a black 530d on 18" schnitzers is a very special vehicle indeed.

edit:
media
:imp:

Indeed. Very nice choice. Can be found for reasonable money too

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
5 series!!! pimp daddy style...3 series is a bit common think the audi altho common is a mich classier design!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.