New Honda Monkey bike

J55NI

RMS Regular
Just back from Belfast Honda , Sorely tempted to get one of these wee bikes now in white or yellow :grinning: , decisions lol

J55NI

RMS Regular
@dross432 how you finding yours now you had it a while?. Long journeys ok? Passing cars and stuff much of an issue? . Am tempted but few of the mates who have their big bikes too pointing out they fear would get left behind if out on a run with them lol

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
I work for belfast honda lol so i borrowed the demo for afew days while my cars away getting fixed lol. Its funny but the tyres are a deff no no. Get them added to finance and change them there and then lol. I long journey eg i drovr from dundonald over the back roads. Bangor to ards ards to dundonald. It went alright but its still a 125 with 4 gears not emensly quick but still fun.overtaking anything takes abit of forward planing esp over 50mph lol as for filtering through traffic its amazing its narrow enough to get past most gaps. Yea if you went out on a run and they were going more than 55 youd be struggling to keep up. It will do 70 but your heads on the tank to do it lol.
They are about 2.8k honda finance is really flexable with deposits and time and monthly amounts. I recomend just calling in for a price. Im tempted as i priced it at around £60 a month for x amount of time with x amount deposit which is still minus fuel in it less than a third what im spending of fueling the car

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
how you finding yours now you had it a while?. Long journeys ok? Passing cars and stuff much of an issue? . Am tempted but few of the mates who have their big bikes too pointing out they fear would get left behind if out on a run with them lol

I'd probably be the person best capable of answering your questions. Had mine since May '13 and since then I've covered over 2000 miles. The 1 essential change needed is to ditch the stock tyres (mentioned loads in this thread) and fit a pipe/system (they're far too quiet on the stock set-up)

Long journeys - Simply, you don't do long journeys on these kind bikes. By long journeys, I mean away on the bike for a week covering maybe a couple of 1000 miles. For shorter distances (ie 100+ miles) the bikes more than capable. I did about 140 miles Sunday week ago and felt no different than I would if I'd done the same trip on the 'Blade. Actually, I'd go so far as to say, I'd have felt worse getting off the 'Blade. My mpg for that day came in at over 100mpg (117mpg to be exact)

Passing cars - You need a lot of forward thinking and remember what you're riding. On a bigger bike 4/5 car overtakes is nothing. On these, getting the speed up and getting past a single car can take a while. Took a trip to Bangor on Saturday and was caught behind a Yaris going over Craigantlet. Car sat at a steady 60-65 on the straights, but was 15-20 round the bends. We simply hadn't enough poke to get ahead of the car in the straights and were annoyed in the corners as the bike would have gone round them without changing speed. Frustrating, but just deal with it.

Out with mates on bigger bike - Don't waste your time unless they're happy to go as quick as you can go. Luckily, by the end of the week, there will be 5 MSX's between me and my riding buddies so the fun begins when we're all out on the same machines. If you want a fast run and go do-lally, take the bigger bike, if you wanna have a laugh and enjoy yourself, take the MSX.

I was so close to giving up on bikes completely a few years ago, parked the 'Blade up for a year then Honda brought the MSX out. 3 of us took delivery the same day and I've never enjoyed biking as much as I do now.

I commute on mine pretty much every day. The Subaru was costing me £40 a week in fuel for a 10 mile return commute to work and back and any other messages, the MSX is at most £5 per week and if only going to work and back, £5 a fortnight. For me, it was a no-brainer to get one, it's saving me a fortune each month and gives me more smiles per mile than any other vehicle I own, or have owned. Any other questions you have, gimme a shout.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
They fall under the normal 125 license ruling. Please say if I'm wrong, but you need a CBT to ride a 125 legally on 'L' plates. Might be worth finding out if there is a pre-qualifying license date that skips the need for a CBT.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
I'd probably be the person best capable of answering your questions. Had mine since May '13 and since then I've covered over 2000 miles. The 1 essential change needed is to ditch the stock tyres (mentioned loads in this thread) and fit a pipe/system (they're far too quiet on the stock set-up)

Long journeys - Simply, you don't do long journeys on these kind bikes. By long journeys, I mean away on the bike for a week covering maybe a couple of 1000 miles. For shorter distances (ie 100+ miles) the bikes more than capable. I did about 140 miles Sunday week ago and felt no different than I would if I'd done the same trip on the 'Blade. Actually, I'd go so far as to say, I'd have felt worse getting off the 'Blade. My mpg for that day came in at over 100mpg (117mpg to be exact)

Passing cars - You need a lot of forward thinking and remember what you're riding. On a bigger bike 4/5 car overtakes is nothing. On these, getting the speed up and getting past a single car can take a while. Took a trip to Bangor on Saturday and was caught behind a Yaris going over Craigantlet. Car sat at a steady 60-65 on the straights, but was 15-20 round the bends. We simply hadn't enough poke to get ahead of the car in the straights and were annoyed in the corners as the bike would have gone round them without changing speed. Frustrating, but just deal with it.

Out with mates on bigger bike - Don't waste your time unless they're happy to go as quick as you can go. Luckily, by the end of the week, there will be 5 MSX's between me and my riding buddies so the fun begins when we're all out on the same machines. If you want a fast run and go do-lally, take the bigger bike, if you wanna have a laugh and enjoy yourself, take the MSX.

I was so close to giving up on bikes completely a few years ago, parked the 'Blade up for a year then Honda brought the MSX out. 3 of us took delivery the same day and I've never enjoyed biking as much as I do now.

I commute on mine pretty much every day. The Subaru was costing me £40 a week in fuel for a 10 mile return commute to work and back and any other messages, the MSX is at most £5 per week and if only going to work and back, £5 a fortnight. For me, it was a no-brainer to get one, it's saving me a fortune each month and gives me more smiles per mile than any other vehicle I own, or have owned. Any other questions you have, gimme a shout.
in fairness thats a good summary of the bike.
I spoke to another guy and he said the same about reintroducing fun into biking again (y)

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Must also add, the only failure the bike had was that the fuel pump packed in at about 1500 miles but was replaced under warranty and seems like an isolated issue as there are no other mentions of it on the US Grom (American for MSX) site

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I'd love one, but would need to be able to drive it on the motorway so would have to get a bike licence sorted :worried:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
For me it was 10% of the bike value plus £15 admin to add it to the CBR policy. Would be about £100 on it's own (for me)

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
IMG_8129232463423.jpeg
Well a little update. Got myself a black one. Met up with afew people from here and i know not on here.
Most fun ive had in awhile. Just so comical.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
[QUOTE"viper_biker, post: 2473854, member: 9546"]They fall under the normal 125 license ruling. Please say if I'm wrong, but you need a CBT to ride a 125 legally on 'L' plates. Might be worth finding out if there is a pre-qualifying license date that skips the need for a CBT.[/QUOTE]
there is a date but it only skips it for 50cc bikes so everyome has to have it for 125

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Theres 1 black left in stock and the other branch has a red 1. If u order tomorrow u may be lucky their awaiting afew new 1s coming in

Reactions: IL