New mot regs-exhaust?

C20LET

RMS Regular
Car just failed mot due to backbox delete? Its passed mot before in Ards & Balmoral. But took to Mallusk this time as only app I could get.

“Exhaust system not complying with regulations;rear silencer deleted;not as manufacturer spec”

Did I just get unlucky with a complete jobsworth or is this a new thing they’re now clamping down on?
Nb the exhaust isn’t even noisy as it’s a diesel. Rear box was missing when car was bought so just had a pie & tailpipe made up for it at the time.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Passed in mallusk with a side pipe on a van about a week ago. It replaced the rear silencer and I’d left all the hangers and everything still on it lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Car just failed mot due to backbox delete? Its passed mot before in Ards & Balmoral. But took to Mallusk this time as only app I could get.

“Exhaust system not complying with regulations;rear silencer deleted;not as manufacturer spec”

Did I just get unlucky with a complete jobsworth or is this a new thing they’re now clamping down on?
Nb the exhaust isn’t even noisy as it’s a diesel. Rear box was missing when car was bought so just had a pie & tailpipe made up for it at the time.
Unlucky, I'd say.

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Does it have another silencer in the system? as far as i'm aware it only requires a silencer be fitted.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Surely they are working to a standard, so there shouldn’t be a case of “unlucky”.

It either passes the documented standards and conditions, or it doesn’t. No?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Surely they are working to a standard, so there shouldn’t be a case of “unlucky”.

It either passes the documented standards and conditions, or it doesn’t. No?

Technically any change to standard system is a fail as it is "Not to manufacturer spec"

Any difference in loudness etc via removing a silencer or changing parts.

So say a 911 with an Akrapovic titanium system should technically be a fail.

Daft that. It's a bit different to a Bora with a backbox removed.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Definitely depends on who you get. Some seem sympathetic to modified cars, others hate them! Or maybe it's just a case of like most workplaces, you get some that religiously do everything by the book with no movement, some more willing to bend the rules a little and some that just don't give a feck.

My car failed a visual cat check at Balmoral last MOT, yet it passed the two years before that at Ballymena and Ards. I just waited for the 21 day retest window to expire, stuck it through a full test elsewhere and it sailed through. It's so stupid, it passes emissions without issue, yet still not testing diesel emissions. If I weld a dummy cat on, what difference is it going to make to the world, other than satisfy a strict MOT tester? 🤷‍♂️

I think I'm looking at a new manifold to do anything about it, as I couldn't see any space on the current 4-2-1 to even weld on a dummy cat. I'm no exhaust expert though. I was going to bring it up to AH in Antrim to have a look at what my options were if it failed again. If it fails again this year I'll probably have to get something done about it or will before retest time to avoid the headache. I didn't decat it, the manifold was on the car when I bought it with a Milltek system.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Definitely depends on who you get. Some seem sympathetic to modified cars, others hate them! Or maybe it's just a case of like most workplaces, you get some that religiously do everything by the book with no movement, some more willing to bend the rules a little and some that just don't give a feck.

My car failed a visual cat check at Balmoral last MOT, yet it passed the two years before that at Ballymena and Ards. I just waited for the 21 day retest window to expire, stuck it through a full test elsewhere and it sailed through. It's so stupid, it passes emissions without issue, yet still not testing diesel emissions. If I weld a dummy cat on, what difference is it going to make to the world, other than satisfy a strict MOT tester? 🤷‍♂️

I think I'm looking at a new manifold to do anything about it, as I couldn't see any space on the current 4-2-1 to even weld on a dummy cat. I'm no exhaust expert though. I was going to bring it up to AH in Antrim to have a look at what my options were if it failed again. If it fails again this year I'll probably have to get something done about it or will before retest time to avoid the headache. I didn't decat it, the manifold was on the car when I bought it with a Milltek system.

To me there should be no subjectivity in it.

There should be a benchmark and/or range for each area/item that is checked, a car either meets this or it doesn’t.

Surely the way the MOT is set here is to apply consistency, if there isn’t any then it negates the whole point of any testing.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
MOT is a minimum standard test but a lot of the testers manual is "examiners descreetion" which pi55ed me off!
Tbh I don't think I ever noticed a missing cat, did see some silencers missing but usually there was a centre box so it was fine. Don't think I ever failed a car for no silencer alone.

20 mins to test a car, it's tight on older cars and modified cars, especially those not done correctly or safely.

Stuff like exhausts, cats, window tints are driven by law / legislation, what it fails MOT for Mr Police person will also take a dim view off.
Screenshot_20240403_164304_Drive.jpg