New rally car build.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

S_Gault

RMS Regular
Having sold the previous multi championship winning car. Im about to start the build of the new one.

And having run several S1600 cars for customers and driven a few it seemed the only logical step forward. So hopefully I'll show you some pics over the next few months.

Steven

Rfg

RMS Regular
nice one if u need it detailed after its built hint hint lol!! get the pics up epic build thread in the making!!

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
Will be keeping an eye on this as im in the middle of building one myself. Hopefully be able to get a few ideas too :laughing:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Bushes old car Steven, if so great wee car and hopefully you iron out the headaches it gave him.

You planning to start the rallying now then?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Is this the red one you built an engine for?

You should do the 2.3 Fiesta instead :p

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
its not busches car..he did however own the shell, and i bought it off him.
His car is in the one in avatar as I did the engine in it- the S1600 car.. the Kitcar he had was the one that gave him a lot of hassle.. its now in Spain.

phone031.jpg

here is the shell getting mocked up with my driving position (this took a week), as anyone who knows me will testify about how fussy i can be about things that really matter. We couldnt get my seat low enough and far enough forward (im v short) so it took some time but we are finally there.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Does this mean you can run a sequential box like Alan's car now? I take it you will be in his class?

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
Some changes over the years from hoisting the engine out of a rusty mini with a rope over a cross member in a garage in Macosquin matey :grinning:

Fair play to you, will be keeping a close eye on this thread myself :grinning:

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
good to hear from you Scott, call up some night.

heres the first pile of fun.. the top engine mount from the Citroen Sport Evo2 parts manual.

001bbq.jpg

and as usual its NLA..

worky

RMS Regular
Drives
M135i
good to hear from you Scott, call up some night.

heres the first pile of fun.. the top engine mount from the Citroen Sport Evo2 parts manual.

001bbq.jpg

and as usual its NLA..

Sorry but does NLA stand for No Longer Available????

Are you going to machine it yourself.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
You painting the car pink?:p

Is the mount all CNC'd?

Also can you machine valve cutouts into pistons?

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
here is the shell with some of the other panels fitted to mock it up and check gaps etc

phone029.jpg

Cro

RMS Regular
The panels, gaps and workings on the car are superb, Alan really did a spot on job! Looks like it would have rolled off a production line only everything weighs as much as tracing paper (y)

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
The car was then totally stripped and prepped for paint. I decided to just paint the inside , then build it up and paint the outside last so as to get a good finish. Here is the inside painted
imag0049l.jpg

imag0066vg.jpg

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
Cro? think you must mean other car.. and these cars weigh a lot.. they are homologated at 1020kg..much heavier than most mk2s

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
Then we started to build up the inside- the slowest bit was the wiring. I didnt want a fusebox, I wanted every circuit to have its own breaker so it had to come into the carbon box besidethe driver (which contains all the breakers ) and then back out to wherever it was going.. This meant every single loom had to be measured and made and tested and fitted to the car.

Heres the breaker box we built.

switchpanel.jpg

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
I had to source a LHD dash, cut and modifiy it so it replicates the works Lightweight dash, trim it to fit around the cage and get 3 carbon pieces made from the moulds i have of the works dash inserts. Then fit the wiring looms to the rear and install it. Heres a pic of it installed for the last time..

dashe.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.