Newry (BT35) Most Expensive Insurance in UK

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Hoked this out today on my surfing travels from the Newry Democrat:

Newry insurance policy uncovered

LIVING in Newry will cost you more in car insurance than almost anywhere else in the UK.
Insurance companies calculate how great a risk a customer is by their postcode, and the BT 35 postcode is rated in the ‘high risk’ list.
Ciaran Murphy, a 25-year-old shop assistant from Newry, was recently quoted a whooping £1,790 insurance for his Vauxhall Corsa, costing £149 a month.
Yet if he was a shop assistant in Newcastle, England, and driving the same car he could get insured for £880 – a saving of £910.
“I don’t think I’m getting a fair deal,” he said. “Maybe it’s because of the size of the town. If I were living in a different town, doing the same job, then I’d probably get insured at a lower price.
“Another problem is the lack of British insurers coming over to Northern Ireland and insuring the young people here. That’s why Northern Ireland insurers are putting their process so high,” he added.
Mr Murphy felt so ‘trapped’ that he went on television last week to air his grievance on the BBC’s consumer affairs programme, Fair Play.
“There’s absolutely nothing I can do about it. It’s either pay the insurance or sell the car and walk to work in the morning,” he said.
Catherine Corr from Newry is also dismayed at her car insurance costs.
The 27-year-old sales executive’s insurance currently stands at £950.
“I was appalled when I rang my broker to discover it was more expensive than the year before, especially as I had made no claims on it,” she said.
Sean Grant of Digney-Grant Insurances said the one reason some Newry people were paying so high an insurance price was their postcode.
“BT 35 is one of the most expensive postcodes in the country, simply because it has more claims per head than that of the other Newry postcode BT 34, or that of other towns such as Banbridge or Portadown. Insurers increase their premiums per accident,” he said.
Peter McEvoy of Autoline Direct Insurance Consultants in Newry said there were a number of reasons behind the sky-high insurance in Northern Ireland.
“I think the main reason that insurance is so high here is the very high preponderance of cars per households, which means 18 – 25 year olds have more access to vehicles than that in mainland UK.
“Also we don’t have a great range of insurance companies coming over from England as they’ve had their fingers burnt in the past with passenger liability claims. That, along with an increase of people driving high performance cars and number of 18 to 24-year-olds involved in expensive accidents have kept the insurance here so high,” he said.

Link: http://archives.tcm.ie/newrydemocrat/2001/11/20/story325.asp

Andy

Cess

RMS Staff
Rip off NI is alive and well.

Fair play to the insurance spokesman, at least he cited some half decent reasons as to why insurance is so high in Norn Iron and didn't trot out the usual bollocks.

pablo

RMS Moderator
used to be BT7 was the WORST in the UK - not among the worst ;)

thank the selfish bastids who load up 2 cars and drive into each other in their motability cars and all claiming whiplash for this lot !!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
why cant the regulations be brought up to the standard of the mainland to make insurance similar for everyone?? after all we are all living under the one parliament?

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
ah well, suppose we get much cheaper housing so on the whole we are better off :lol:

vza

you defo get more house for your money here,hence me staying,the insurance offset didnt balance out enought :worried:

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Tell me about the Newry situation, its the red necks living in South Armagh etc claiming for everything under the sun. Luckily i live in BT34 but it isnt too much cheaper to be honest.

MarkOne

RMS Regular
is it not so dear in newry also as car theft is bad down there as the people from the free state come up and steal them and disapear accross the border?

PeteM

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat CC
Pfffftt , you people dont know the meaning of "high insurance"

Try BT17

Ahem Poleglass , twinbrook.......

Mate is paying £3,800 tpft on a 1996 five door 1.4 306!

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
sure im payin £2280 on a 1.1 Fiesta, and the mad VZA there, well, ill leave it up to his discretion as to whether he wants to disclose how much he's payin :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.