Nextbase Dashcam Hardwire Issue

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’m trying to hardwire a dashcam into the X5 using the piggyback fuse wire. I’ve tried a few fuses )
(all ignition switches) and each time the dashcam charges when connected, but stops charging as soon as the ignition is turned on. Again it’ll start charging when the ignition is off.

I feel like I’m missing something obvious but it hasn’t happened before! Any suggestions?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Do you have the cig lighter charge cable? If so does it do the same thing with that? Seems a very random issue that 😕

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Do you have the cig lighter charge cable? If so does it do the same thing with that? Seems a very random issue that 😕

I do. The strange thing is that it’s the cigarette lighter fuse I had it connected to. But the cigarette lighter continue to work as normal. Not sure if it’s maybe the cable that is at fault.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
X5 is probably canbus controlled and may cut power from whatever you’ve piggybacked.

Easiest way to test is to wire it direct to the battery…..

Sham1

RMS Regular
Have you tried it with the car started? Battery may be low voltage with the door open and lights on , possibly stereo on during the install. Some cars cut off non essential circuits when the ignition is on if the battery voltage is too low, to ensure the starter gets full voltage.
Take it a drive and then see if the battery charges up a bit and it’s any difference.
Some dash cams also have a low voltage setting, where they turn off to preserve Power in the battery when the voltage is low. Worth a check as well

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yup, tried everything. The next day I got an old cable and cut the cigarette plug off ready to solder it in, but thought I’d try once more on the piggy back cable. Did exactly the same as the day before- same fuse slot and everything and it worked!