NIE meter board advice needed

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Was wondering if anyone on here could advise as to whether it’s worth while asking NIE to move a small meter box?

rewiring the house and the Schneider board is quite wide, ideally if you look at the pic below the digital meter reader with the two wires going into existing Box was moved so it’s sitting beside the main breaker would be ideal!

will the NIE charge to move this as online the only option is to submit an application form but thought I’d ask here first?

thanks
5EE90EAF-9BC6-41B4-8674-0E4855789531.jpeg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
At a guess you would at least need to leave them a set of tails long enough to go to wherever you want it mounted, as doubt they'd have any interest in replacing the tails to the existing board, as it's not their remit ?

And under current regs...not allowed to mount boards directly onto wood. Wonder if that also applies to NIE meters and could present an issue ?

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
At a guess you would at least need to leave them a set of tails long enough to go to wherever you want it mounted, as doubt they'd have any interest in replacing the tails to the existing board, as it's not their remit ?

And under current regs...not allowed to mount boards directly onto wood. Wonder if that also applies to NIE meters and could present an issue ?
Aye it’s a nightmare , think with the tails he’s talking about another black thing and extend them just? One thing I am not terrible clued up on unfortunately is consumer boards 😂 looking like ile have to give them a call Monday to find out what the crack is, ideally moving it down and to the right is the way to
Go but haven’t heard about the wood thing before? But from 18th edition they wee brother was saying a load of things have changed lol anything to make life more difficult

scub

Banned
Was wondering if anyone on here could advise as to whether it’s worth while asking NIE to move a small meter box?

rewiring the house and the Schneider board is quite wide, ideally if you look at the pic below the digital meter reader with the two wires going into existing Box was moved so it’s sitting beside the main breaker would be ideal!

will the NIE charge to move this as online the only option is to submit an application form but thought I’d ask here first?

thanks View attachment 287786
pretty sure they'll charge you - a lot !

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
They won’t put the meter to low as the meter readers then complain about reading them, some have hurt themselves stooping to low 🤷

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
New board is going to go above and I am going to make a new cupboard as I was hold 45 mins and give up 🤣

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Height of meter not an issue, you can just get a remote display that plugs in and stick it somewhere visible. Unless the NIE man himself wants to mount it at a more comfortable working height for himself.

You aren't allowed to mount the consumer unit onto flammable material.. Although in reality just means you could stick some plasterboard or fireboard on top of the wood and then mount it on that as it's no longer mounted directly to a flammable material.

And yes you could cut/join any tails in some ISCO connectors, which given the layout of multiple boards there may be a sensible idea and make any future alterations etc a bit easier.. ( not when live though....that can be dangerous...just in case you're getting ideas )

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
Height of meter not an issue, you can just get a remote display that plugs in and stick it somewhere visible. Unless the NIE man himself wants to mount it at a more comfortable working height for himself.

You aren't allowed to mount the consumer unit onto flammable material.. Although in reality just means you could stick some plasterboard or fireboard on top of the wood and then mount it on that as it's no longer mounted directly to a flammable material.

And yes you could cut/join any tails in some ISCO connectors, which given the layout of multiple boards there may be a sensible idea and make any future alterations etc a bit easier.. ( not when live though....that can be dangerous...just in case you're getting ideas )
The non flammable material is new to myself and weirdly makes a lot of sense, so defiantly going to mount it to fire board or something , as for live tails I’m game for many things stevie but smelling like burnt toast is not one of them 🤣 but as always appreciate the advice

**mugen**

RMS Regular
Drives
Big 9'er
Your meter can be moved directly ontop of the cutout. Will this give you enough room?

As for the non flammable backboard, your electrician should be making this compliant when he changes your consumer unit.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
Your meter can be moved directly ontop of the cutout. Will this give you enough room?

As for the non flammable backboard, your electrician should be making this compliant when he changes your consumer unit.
Seems a grey area the more I read there are plenty of people who say wood is fine as long as it’s not varnished?
this thing about not being able to mount onto wood for non new build house.. have you any legislation or a link as I can’t see anything online?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
go look in the 18th edition, it'll be there somewhere.

Not sure exactly where it is, but the guy I did the course with raised it as a new requirement. As said, it's easy to comply with anyway.

Last edited:

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
go look in the 18th edition, it'll be there somewhere.

Not sure exactly where it is, but the guy I did the course with raised it as a new requirement. As said, it's easy to comply with anyway.
Yeah read it but can’t actually physically see where it states non flammable as in ply wood, some other sparks I’ve spoken to just say not to worry unless it’s chipboard or varnished but here I bought the top end Schneider unit so it’s not like I skimp when doing something and It makes sense to put it on fire board etc one other thing stevie the 18th Ed says it’s okay for a spark to cut tie and pull main breaker? Is that just England?

**mugen**

RMS Regular
Drives
Big 9'er
Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:

I. Have their enclosures manufactured from non-combustive material, or

II. Be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with regulation 132.12.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:

I. Have their enclosures manufactured from non-combustive material, or

II. Be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with regulation 132.12.
I fully understand what you have pasted and thank you but if you read on down where I am getting confused is that the Schneider board I have bought is already in a very heavy metal cabinet?

Intent of the new regulation
The intent of Regulation 421.1.201 is considered to be, as far as is reasonably practicable, to contain any fire within the enclosure or cabinet and to minimise the escape of flames.

Requirements to be met by the non-combustible enclosure or cabinet
Regulation 421.1.201 gives the choice of either using a consumer unit (or similar switchgear assembly) having an enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material or using a consumer unit having an enclosure made from some other material, such as plastic, and installing it in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material. See Figures 4:innocent: and 4(b). In either case, certain requirements need to be met by the enclosure or cabinet, as explained below.

xconsumer-units-fig4.jpg

Figure 4 – The two ways to comply with enclosure requirements of Regulation 421.1.201

There is no published definition for the term ‘non combustible’ that aligns with the intent of Regulation 421.1.201. However, as stated in Note 1 to the regulation, ferrous metal, such as steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.

Steel will no doubt be the material usually employed in the manufacture of the enclosure or cabinet. Nevertheless, it will be open to manufacturers to offer enclosures or cabinets made from other types of material that they claim to be non-combustible within the intent of Regulation 421.1.201. In this case, however, the manufacturer would have to provide suitable evidence to support the claim of non-combustibility, and it is not presently clear what criteria would be used to judge the non-combustibility of a material other than non-ferrous metal.

The non-combustible enclosure or cabinet must provide a complete envelope (for example, base, cover, door and any components such as hinges, screws and catches) as necessary to maintain fire containment. All blanks, circuit-breakers and other devices must be contained within the non-combustible enclosure or cabinet. Figure 5 shows an example.

hagar-cu-enclosure.jpg

Figure 5 – Example of non-combustible enclosure for consumer unit
Image credit: Image reprinted with kind permission from Hager
So am I being a numpty or is this
Saying that you can have either or both?

**mugen**

RMS Regular
Drives
Big 9'er
If your new consumer unit is replacing all your switch gear it will meet requirements, so no fireboard enquire.... as it will be a non combustible material, metal.

If some of your old gear remains, like the bottom consumer unit and isolator which looks like plastic, fireboard should be used.

Your thinking about this too much, get a qualified electrician in and they will leave it correct, its not a complicated job just time consuming.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Ed says it’s okay for a spark to cut tie and pull main breaker? Is that just England?

Who's Ed ?

And if you are referring to tampering with the NIE incomer and cutting the seal to their fuse. No, that it illegal.

Do people do it ? Yes they do, but it leaves yourself open should there ever be any meter related queries or disputes.
You might phone the NIE and tell them what you are doing, and they may well tell you to go ahead and cut it to enable safe works to facilitate the NIE guy coming out to do his job of moving the meter in a single visit.....but that's their call to make.

But it is illegal to tamper with that seal. Or you can cut it and play dumb and hope nothing comes of it. If your bills etc have all been normal with no issues, chances of anything coming of it are slim.
But safest thing is to call them and let them make any decisions.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Who's Ed ?

And if you are referring to tampering with the NIE incomer and cutting the seal to their fuse. No, that it illegal.

Do people do it ? Yes they do, but it leaves yourself open should there ever be any meter related queries or disputes.
You might phone the NIE and tell them what you are doing, and they may well tell you to go ahead and cut it to enable safe works to facilitate the NIE guy coming out to do his job of moving the meter in a single visit.....but that's their call to make.

But it is illegal to tamper with that seal. Or you can cut it and play dumb and hope nothing comes of it. If your bills etc have all been normal with no issues, chances of anything coming of it are slim.
But safest thing is to call them and let them make any decisions.

Right or wrong my spark did exactly as you said, cut the seals, re-wired the whole house which included consumer unit etc. The stairs were replaced so the board holding it all had to be moved.

NIE came out and ended up having to change the meter as it was an old dial type aswell as the old cast iron fuse holder part (wouldn’t fancy that wrestling with a 50 year old cable live into the new 100amp fuse holder under the stairs) and sealed it all back up again.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
You are meant to ring the nie to get the seals cut, they can send a man out for his first job to cut them and isolate the supply then come back for his last job to reinstate fuse and seals.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Seals are imprinted by the crimpers which shows a code that is unique to an employee.... :eyes: They know.....
The ones on "the person I know" weren't. A guy came and changed the meter and just used a crimped tag. No marking etc. New ones are identical.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
The ones on "the person I know" weren't. A guy came and changed the meter and just used a crimped tag. No marking etc. New ones are identical.
All sealing pliers will have an identification number on them that marks the seal with that number. It’s for future reference when something goes wrong they know who was last at the job. Sometimes if the sealing pliers are not on correctly the number won’t show.
But they can’t detect magnets, right???!!!!?
Unfortunately a laptop can be hooked up to a keypad meter and tell when the magnet went on and off and how many units went through the meter while the magnet was on.